Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

13 November 2020

Session 7 Class E - 13th November 2020

 This weeks' writing assignment



Write a script for a single-location scene in a TV drama with five characters: a mother, father, three siblings. They are irritable having been couped up in their house for several weeks because of a pandemic. They are bickering about all sorts of typical family issues and interpersonal grievances. Include as many logical fallacies in the script as you can. Spend 30 minutes writing it. Submit at 12 noon tomorrow at the latest

23 comments:

  1. Characters: Dad (Joe), Daddy (Paul), Mary, Brenda, Karen

    Dad: God, Paul why are you taking so long just to cook dinner?

    Daddy: You can’t complain if you’re not the one cooking, Joe. How would you know how to cook anyways? You hate cleaning.

    Dad: But you don’t cook that well anyways. Look at Brenda, she’s starving! I told you we should have ordered take out an hour ago!

    Brenda: But dad, I just ate an hour ago. I’m okay with waiting for daddy to finish cooking dinner.

    Karen: Are you saying you’re not going to eat daddy’s dinner? DADDY! Brenda doesn’t want to eat your food because she’s so annoying.

    Brenda: Karen that’s not what I said. You can’t be mad at me because I didn’t let you use my shirt for your video conference. Stop being so white.

    Mary: But that was my shirt.

    Karen: No one asked you Mary, who cares anyways? You’re adopted.

    Daddy: Okay girls, stop bickering. I can get you new clothes later. Do you girls want to go online shopping after dinner? (while serving dinner)

    Dad: Paul, you have to stop pampering the girls! They barely have enough space to store their clothes.

    Karen: But that’s because you insisted on getting the small closet dad. Doesn’t matter anyways we have the hanging rack.

    Mary: Yeah, the one that I bought.

    Karen: Does not matter who bought it Mary. It’s not yours though because you’re adopted.

    Mary: Why do you keep on saying I’m adopted as an excuse for everything you don’t like? Can you prove you’re not adopted? We have two dads! You’re not pretty either Karen, but you don’t see me calling you out as irrelevant because you’re ugly.

    Karen: Are you blind? I look like dad! Besides, how can you say I’m ugly?

    Dad: Seriously Paul? Mac and cheese? I thought I was being clear when I said I wanted to eat pasta.

    Daddy: Joe what are you talking about? Mac and cheese is made up of Pasta. Just ask the girls. They will agree with me.

    Dad: What they will agree is that you are being ridiculous these past few months! Yesterday you went out with Brenda to a supermarket and you forgot to wear a mask? There is only two choices right now Paul! To be healthy or to be sick!

    Daddy: Yeah and another two choices: to live or to die? How are we supposed to survive without groceries? We ended up taking our masks anyways. See this is all your fault. If only you did not ask me to cook all the time and ordered takeout instead. If only you stop complaining and try to cook.

    Brenda: But daddy you were the one who insisted on cooking because you like to fetch groceries.

    Dad: Whatever. I’m hungry. Can we just eat now? Preferably in SILENCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Characters: Ibu, Ayah, Noah, Nurul, Nadiya

    *During dinner*
    Ibu: So, everyone, please save up your money. As you all know, Ayah is no longer working due to his company's situation. Let's pray to God that everything will be sufficient for us, ok?

    Ayah: I don't see why the pandemic must affect my job. If Australia maintains its unemployment rate, I don't know why Indonesia's government can't do the same?

    Nadiya: Your company had no choice but to terminate many of the employees' contracts. They either fire employees or go bankrupt.

    Nurul: It's ok Ayah, we understand. We should appreciate that we still have a home and food.

    Noah: (to ibu) But what's the use of praying to God? Is He even real? Where is He when we need His help?

    Ibu: People have been praying to God for years. No one can prove He doesn't exist. Therefore, He exists.

    Noah: Well, yes, when people believe in God, they pray to Him. You go to the mosque to see people praying. But, is it necessarily true that God is there listening to their prayers?

    Nurul: Don't say that. God loves us. He loves all of us.

    Noah: I don't feel any love from Him.

    Ayah: That's because we do not have enough faith.

    Nadiya: (to Noah) Of course you don't feel the love; you don't even pray to him!

    Ibu: Noah, please don't forget to eat your anti-depressant pills. You seem to be more anxious during this period.

    Ayah: And try not to use your phone too much; it is affecting your mental health. Try to do other activities.

    Nurul: Yes, exactly. When you use your social media too much, you start comparing yourself to others. You become unhappy with what you have, and it will trigger your anxiety more. When your anxiety is affected, you start thinking about ending your life. So please don't do that.

    Nadiya: Don't listen to Nurul's logic. She may trigger your anxiety more than the pandemic.

    Ayah: Stop it, Nadiya.

    Nurul: (to Noah) I know you question the existence of God, but your emotional stability is not even good without it. You know people hold on to religion to have a sense of hope. Do you really not want to be stable?

    Noah: So you're saying, there are only two solutions for me: believe in God and be emotionally stable or don't believe and have a mental illness?

    Nadiya: Then, can you tell us what other reasons do you have to be so hopeless and gloomy all the time? I doubt you can.

    Nurul: Maybe for a start, be more positive in life. Everyone has ups and downs. We just need to know how to handle our emotions better.

    Noah: Ok, be more positive. What's next? I should be fake and pretend that everything is ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOIS: Anne, you went out again?
    ANNE: Had to buy stuff for school. Social distanced and all, no worries.
    ALBERT: Hmm, that’s not what Michelle’s Instagram stories say.
    ANNE: Oh God - just shut up, you moron! (1)
    PETER: Anne, watch how you talk to your brother. Remember what we talked about last night? You keep talking like that, no college’s going to want to accept you. (5)
    LOIS: [To Albert] What? Did Michelle post something?
    FREYA: No, it’s her second account, mom.
    ANNE: [To Lois] Mom! If you don’t believe me, just ask Ms. Turner from class. She’s the one who gave us homework from the zoom meeting yesterday. (4)
    ALBERT: I don’t know about that, mom. Kind of hard to go against my video evidence right here. [To Anne] Unless, of course, you could prove you’ve done the homework. (3)
    PETER: Guys, let’s just all sit down, okay? Dinner’s getting cold, for God’s sake.
    -
    Anne grumbles but sits down anyway, joining her family on the set-up table. They start eating, trying to avoid mentioning the elephant in the room.
    -
    PETER: So how was school, Freya?
    FREYA: Eh, pretty boring. I miss going to school and my friends, but, on the bright side, I got my report card online.
    LOIS: [To Freya] Wow! Honey, you must have been the best in class. Just look at all these A’s…
    ANNE: Oh, come on. That class was the easiest to ace, Mr. Coen always gives the best grades. Everyone at least gets a B plus. (6)
    ALBERT: Hey, that’s not true. How come I got a C?
    ANNE: Told you you were a moron. (1)
    ALBERT: No it isn’t! It’s because Freya’s Chinese. (1) All the Asian kids in class get good grades. (6)
    PETER: Albert…
    ALBERT: What? All my friends think so too. They say Freya has a family in another country. (7)
    FREYA: Whatever! At least they chose to have me. Anne sneaks out with her boyfriend all the time, with no mask, mind you, and Albert probably smokes during class off camera.
    ANNE: Oh, you’ve always got to play the goody-two-shoes, huh? Such a saint, aren’t you? (2)
    FREYA: Twist my words all you want, Anne. We know you aren’t getting to college after this. The way I see it; you either get lucky and marry a rich guy or you sell yourself online. (8)
    LOIS: Children! Enough!
    PETER: One peaceful dinner… Is that too much to ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ayah : Children come, let’s eat this yummy breakfast that your Ibu made.
      Eka : Bu can I eat this in my room because I’m late for my class
      Angkasa : (sign) typical
      Eka : Shut the door
      Ayah : It’s still a curse word even if you changed up the last 2 words Mba
      Ibu : No Mba, we’re gonna eat here like a normal family
      Ayah : So, what are the plans for today?
      Angkasa : I have a class this afternoon
      Eka : Me too but in the morning, well 10 minutes to be exact
      Johan : Bu can I have a half boiled egg instead?
      Ibu : Of course honey, eat your fruit first okay
      (That afternoon)
      Eka: Ayah Ibu I’m going to the garage okay
      Ibu : Mba when will I see your painting?
      Eka : Soon bu
      (As Eka entering her garage, she stop and look at one painting the she made deeply with her heart)
      Eka : Remember that time you told me you want to hug me all day if you I’m home all the time? Well it’s the time….. I miss you
      (Johan opened the garage door abruptly and stop)
      Johan : Mba, she’s happy now.

      Delete
  4. SCRIPT
    By Lulu

    Mom: [to Dad, Lula, Shawn] Hey, everyone. What’s for breakfast?
    Dad: [to Mom] Bubu’s whipping something up in the kitchen.
    Shawn: Smells good.
    Dad: [to Shawn] Could you turn on the TV? Let’s watch CNN.
    Shawn: Seriously? More American news? Mom, Lula, aren’t you bored of watching silly Americans argue over the election results?
    Lula: Nope.
    Shawn: [to Mom] Mom?
    Mom: [to Shawn] Nope. CNN’s great. I love Chris Cuomo.
    Shawn: I mean, we all know if Trump stays president, America’s going to experience Hell 2.0. Again. At least, that’s what Americans say on Reddit.
    Lula: [to Shawn] What would you know? You’re only in middle school.
    Shawn: [to Lula] Yeah, and you’re studying management in university. You don’t have much credibility over me.
    Dad: [to Shawn and Lula] Hey, guys. Come on, quit arguing.
    BUBU ENTERS DINING ROOM
    Bubu: Breakfast is ready!
    Mom: [to Bubu] The eggs look great, Bu.
    Bubu: Thanks, Mom. They might be a bit bland since I couldn’t use salt in it because I was scared Dad would get his blood pressure up, then we’d all have to go to the hospital, and the rest of the weekend would be filled with panic and worry.
    Lula: [to Bubu] Don’t worry. These are great!
    Shawn: [to Bubu] I mean... I feel like Gordon Ramsay would say that these may be lacking a bit of flavor, but...
    Lula: [to Shawn] Shut up, Shawn. The only cooking you can do is boil water.
    Shawn: [to Lula] That’s not true! Ask Bubu, ask Dad, or Mom! I made fried rice for dinner yesterday.
    Dad: [to Shawn] Well, it was either we had your slightly awful fried rice yesterday or starve all night, Shawn.
    Mom: [to Dad] Hey, that’s not true! I think you did pretty okay, Shawn.
    Shawn: See, at least one sane person here thinks I can cook!
    Lula: [to Shawn] Yeah, yeah, whatever. Jamie Oliver would think it was awful, though.
    Bubu: [to Shawn and Lula] Guys, enough arguing! Can’t we just have breakfast in peace?
    Dad: [to Shawn and Lula] Yeah, let’s. Your sister worked hard to make this great breakfast for us.
    Bubu: Thanks, Dad.
    Mom: Anyway, when do you think Trump’s finally going to admit defeat and congratulate Biden?
    Bubu: I read that once Biden assumes presidency, the American economy is going to collapse. And if Trump refuses to concede, Boris Johnson is going to intervene.
    Lula: [to Bubu] What? That sounds like absolute nonsense.
    Shawn: [to Lula] I mean, a lot of Americans on Twitter agree that Trump is better for the American economy.
    Dad: [to Shawn] Shawn, are Americans on social media the only place you get knowledge from?
    Mom: [to Shawn] Yeah, we pay loads for your tuition. I’d think you’d do better to pay more attention to your maths class rather than American politics online.
    Lula: [to Shawn] Yeah, Shawn. If you never listen to your teacher in maths class, you won’t pass eighth grade, and then it’d take you forever to get to university, and have a job, and get enough money to pay for your own wedding.
    Shawn: [to Lula] Whatever you say. Bill Gates dropped out of college and is one of the richest people on earth today. So did Mark Zuckerburg.
    Bubu: [to Shawn] Yeah, well, they were geniuses from birth.
    Shawn: You know what? Everyone here seems so against me. I hate it here.
    Mom: [to Shawn] Hey!
    Dad: Shawn, not true.
    Shawn: [to Mom and Dad] When can we leave the house?
    Lula: [to Shawn] President Jokowi says we should try as much as possible not to leave the house.
    Shawn: Can we, though? Mom, Dad, Bubu? Aren’t you guys sick of staying indoors all the time?
    Bubu: [to Shawn] I guess. But what can we do?
    Mom: How about we cook lasagna for dinner?
    Dad: [to Mom] Super market errand later at noon?
    Shawn: [to Dad] Count me in! I can’t wait to get out of here.
    Mom: Yup. You all better be ready by 2 pm!
    Shawn: [to Mom] I can’t wait!





    ReplyDelete
  5. Father : Sieg
    Mother : Jeanne
    Son : Henry
    Son : Charles
    Daughter : Victoria

    Another Morning In Sieg’s Family

    Sieg : Alright, we’ve stuck in this house for almost nine month now.
    Jeanne : So what do you suggest my dear ?
    Sieg : I would love if we can take a short holiday trip to puncak, since I think the covid situation is much better right now.
    Jeanne : It’s just getting worse my love. I mean, you didn’t even finish your medicine school and get drop out instead, so how could you possibly know about this ? (1)
    Sieg : Well look at me now. Being a businessman is more profitable and easier than becoming a doctor, which have heavier job and less salary than becoming a businessman.
    Jeanne : I cannot believe you’re mocking my profession as a doctor (2)
    Sieg : Whatever you say mam, but I’m the proof.
    Jeanne : But I think at least you should believe that the threat from corona virus is real
    Sieg : well my dear, there is no solid evidence this virus is a real health issue to human body
    Jeanne : if you able to think like that, you either an idiot or a freak who believes in conspiracy theories. (8)
    Sieg : Believe what you will, my dear
    Jeanne : there is no evidence that they don't. (3)
    Sieg : Hello there, good morning children
    Jeanne : here is your breakfast, today’s menu is grilled fish with lemon. This fish is fresh taken from that river near our home.
    Charles : wait mom, but I remember that father said not to eat anything from that river since the river contains with a lot of mercury. (4)
    Henry : I’m agree with Charles, my teacher at school told me eating a fish containing mercury will cause you a terrible sickness, in which can led you to death in the worst scenario mom. (5)
    Victoria : That’s not true at all, brother (6).
    Jeanne : yes my daughter, the news about mercury near our home is completely a hoax since there is no solid proof about that
    Sieg : well, I’m only lying about that hahahaha
    Jeanne : so….. it’s okay to lie since it is to fool your children. That is not very cool my dear. (7)
    Sieg : okay…. I’m very sorry about that my wife and children
    Jeanne : Okay, apologized accepted. Without further ado, lets continue our breakfast shall we?
    Childrean : of course mom…….

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen : “Nick, move, I can’t see the screen.”
    Nick : “I’m too comfortable to move. You can see just fine,”
    Karen : “Sure, if you were 20 kilograms lighter, your body’s literally covering the whole screen. Come on, my favorite show’s coming up.”
    Nick : “Fine. [moves] At least I’m working on something and not watching Korean dramas all day.”
    Karen : “Whatever.”
    Daisy : “Mom, Dad, I’m going out.”
    Mom : “Wait, where are you going?”
    Daisy : “To see my friends. We’re meeting at this new café.”
    Karen : “Did you forget that there’s a pandemic going on?”
    Daisy : “All my friends have started to go out like usual and they seem healthy, so it’s alright. Chill, I’ll wear my mask and all.”
    Mom : “It’s better not to go out though.”
    Daisy : “But, Mom, you go to the market and hang out with the other aunties every day. Please let me go out this one time, yeah?”
    Dad : “Yeah, we let you go out this one time and then you take off your masks to have a sip of your coffee while your friend suddenly coughs on you then we’re all dead because of the virus.”
    Daisy : “Ugh, fine! I won’t go. I’ll just rot in my room then.”
    Mom : “Sorry, your dad’s right.”
    Nick : “It’s better to be safe than sorry.”
    Dad : “Cheer up, Daisy. Don’t you want the pandemic to be over soon?”
    Daisy : “I guess.”
    Mom : “By the way, don’t you have exams coming up, Karen?”
    Karen : “Yeah.”
    Nick : “What a good student, binge-watching dramas right before exams.”
    Dad : “It’s either you stop watching that Korean drama now or you’ll fail your exams.”
    Karen : “I stayed in my room all day to study yesterday and of course all of you only notice the one time I decide to enjoy some entertainment. Give me break.”
    Dad : “Okay, if you say so. I just don’t want you to forget your responsibilities as a student.”
    Karen : “Sure, Dad.”
    Nick : “Did you even hear what he said? You have your eyes glued to the screen.”
    Daisy : “Mind your own business, Nick.”
    Karen : “You too, Daisy?”
    Mom : “It’s actually good. The actors are quite handsome.”
    Nick & Dad: “Oh, No…”

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother: “Alright, I’m going out. I’ll be home by 10.30”
    Mom: “OK, remember to wear your mask and keep your distance from crowds.”
    Sister: “Hold on, mom, that’s not fair.”
    Mom: “Which part?”
    Sister: “How come my brother got to go out at night and be back home that late? You only give me until 8 o’clock, 8.30 if I were lucky.”
    Mom: “Of course it’s different. You’re a daughter, to begin with, and that’s how the rest of the big family has been taught; to take care of their daughter with extra safety”
    Sister: “Oh, so you don’t think that daughters can protect themselves?”
    Brother: “Yeah, mom, it’s not like she’s going to a fight club or anything”
    Dad: “Who’s going to a fight club?”
    Mom: “Nobody. Look, my point is, girls are more vulnerable in the term of being harassed. Not mentioning what would other think of us—you as a girl and I as a mother—if you’re out there hanging out until late night?”
    Dad: “That’s true. You can ask my sister of how your grandparents have treated her when she was just about your age.”
    Sister: “Where did that even come from? Why is every parent so old-fashioned and close-minded?”
    Mom: “Well if we don’t educate you this way, you won’t be getting good grades at your school because then you’ll be hanging out more than you actually study.”
    Dad: “I mean look at you, we’ve been so tough on you yet you still argue with us as if you know everything better than we do.”
    Sister: “OK, quick question, no if it is really that important for you, than why don’t you treat my brother the same way? Don’t you think he will taste the same consequences as you think I will?”
    Mom: “Why are you so demanding?”
    Sister: “That is not what I am doing here.”
    Brother: “You know what? Never mind, I’ll just cancel my plan. It’s either that or you guys won’t stop arguing.”
    Dad: “Fine! No one leaves until we have further discussion about the rules we are implementing here at my house!”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Avdol :”Why you showered and dress so nice? Don’t tell me…”
    Rohan :”Shut it Avdol, I’m going out and it’s not a fun time anyway.”
    Avdol :”Must be lost your marbles, Our neighbor Dan went out yesterday and guess
    what, he’s now freaking positive”.
    Rohan :”You must be lost yours too, who told you that? Your so called “trusted”
    Sophie? Dan texted me his result test and he’s fine as an apple in the
    day”.
    Avdol :”But dad told us it is not safe yet, you could even catch one if you go”.
    Rohan :”Oh dad is just a boomer who stick with his conservative ways and wait for
    anyone else to do next thing, and I’m done with that”.
    Avdol :”Think brother, you wouldn’t want virus to hop at you and onto the whole
    family when you get back”.
    Rohan :”Hell, what do you even know about it? You’re just playing at the computer
    all day long, without updating the news and now you are driven by general
    opinions”.
    Avdol :"That ain't true!"
    (suddenly dad comes in)
    Dad :”Can it you two, you’ll disturb everyone if you keep up with this
    bickering.”
    Dad :”That’s a no no Rohan, I’m not necessarily disagree, I know your task is to interview the governor tonight, but this is the first day of the occasion. It will be fully crowded at the town hall, why not just coming at the third day, it will extend for five days isn’t it?
    Rohan :”Ah okay pops, if you tell me so.”
    Dad :”Good and make sure to bring a mask next time, I saw you didn’t earlier.”
    Dad :”And Avdol, your brother’s right, clarify anything you got before tell it to
    others, so you don’t look that ignorant and misleading information.”
    Avdol :”Seen dad, Seen.”

    ReplyDelete
  9. One not so lovely evening in The Joko family living room
    Dad : “Okay, Let me explain the current situation, there’s 4 people in this house, and lately I’ve acknowledge that there’s a lot of indication that we are fed up with the fact that we have to see each other’s face 24/7 due to the pandemic”
    Mom :” Any idea, big guy? “
    Son :” why don’t we go outside and do some physical activity together? ”
    Daughter : “Well, look who’s talking, a 200 pounds guy that spends ¾ of his day dreaming” (1)
    Son : “ Any better idea, genius? “
    Daughter : “Well we can always go shopping”
    Mom : “ I don’t know, but according to the government’s data, the spread mostly occurred in highly occupied area such as shopping mall” (4)
    Dad : “ And according to my bank account’s data, shopping might just be out of reach”
    Son : “whoopsie, so now who had the better idea? “ (to daughter)
    Daughter : “ How about family picnic?
    Father : “ Might be a great idea, but where? “
    Daughter : “Bromo? “
    Son : “It’s a red zone, there’s a high risk of being infected with the virus”
    Daughter : “But can you really prove that the virus exists? “
    Son :” Can you prove that it doesn’t? “(3)
    Father : “So she’s saying that this pandemic is a fraud? “ (refers to daughter) (2)
    Mother : “ So the option is to run out of money, getting infected or staying at home with our beloved family, and in the same time keeping everyone safe”(8)

    -silence-

    Son : “who wants to binge watch Netflix? “

    ReplyDelete
  10. Characters: Dad, Mom, Afi (first daughter), Syam (second son), and Nad (third daughter)

    Mom: "Kids! Gather, please! It's Sunday, spend some time with your family."
    Dad: "Your laptop must be tired of seeing you all 24/7 come here"
    Syam: "We are here now, then what?"
    Dad: "How's your Quran memorization progress?"
    Syam: "It's going well if you are comparing me to kakak. We know she never read Quran anymore."
    Mom: "Yeah, I agree. She never comes out from her room means she must be either doing drugs or smoking a bunch of cigarettes alone in her room."
    Afi: "What? I may not be reciting the Quran all day anymore, but I'm doing my college works. Oh my lord, mom, why would you think I'm doing drugs?"
    Dad: "It all makes sense though, since you're an Aries sun. You have that rebellious soul in you. You also have a Gemini moon with your whole placement having a Gemini stellium that means you must be easily corrupted by your friends. Lastly, you went to a public school we can't guarantee you have unproblematic friends."
    Mom: "That means we should put her back in my womb and choose another day to give birth to her so that we have Afi with different Astrology placements."
    Dad: "Exactly."
    Nad: "I'm not on kakak's side, but that doesn't make any sense"
    Dad: "Hey, you're only twelve. What can you know about the whole term of making sense?"
    Nad: "Hey dad, you're on your forty sixths, but you keep perpetuating your prejudice towards public school."
    Dad: "Since when you're a public school justice warrior? Nad, your education history is literally all private Islamic schools, and now you're in a private Islamic boarding school."
    Mom: "Okay, now you are starting to sound not making any sense, hun."
    Mom: "Let me support his opinion with a valid argument, child. We all know no public school student is pure like both of you, my santri child; how can we trust Afi?"
    Afi: "You classified that as a valid argument?"
    Mom: "Indeed."
    Syam: "Astaghfirullah, I'm tired guys, please stop."
    Dad: "What do you mean stop? I'm one of the Islamic community members called *** (censored this, I don't want to put my dad in trouble lol). My organization says that we must put our children in an Islamic private school so that our children don't turn out like Afi."
    Syam: "Well, can you show us the evidence of it? It could be an interview or an article."
    Dad: "I'm your dad. Why would I lie to you?"
    Nad: "Stop it, you're a boomer. All of my friends have lost their prejudice towards that subject. We, Gen Z, are the majority of the Indonesia demography. It means you should update your opinion about it."
    Afi: "Oh my god, all of you, stop. The fact is I never did, never do, and will never do drugs. You can ask god about it. End of discussion." *walkout elegantly goes back to her room*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace: How long is this quarantine going to last? I miss my friends already!
    Mom: Goodness, Grace, you could at least say good morning before ranting.
    Dad: Despite the fact that public places are opening up again, Grace, the government says that the best thing to do is stay home. So, you are NOT going anywhere.
    Grace: But you went out just yesterday!
    Mom: He had no choice but to make that quick round of grocery shopping, sweetie. Our fridge was almost empty.
    Dad: Yeah. It was either that or let the whole family starve by now.
    Lucy: Grace, we all know the only reason you want to go out is to show off your newly dyed hair. Please, no one will even notice.
    Grace: As expected from someone with no sense of style.
    Lucy: What do you even know about style? You practically wear the same shirt all week!
    Mackie: Daddy, Grace and Lucy are fighting again.
    Dad: Don’t follow your sisters, Mack. They’re being very unreasonable right now.
    Mom: Grace, your hair looks fine. And Lucy, keep your opinions to yourself. Let Grace do her thing.
    Lucy: But she looks horrible.
    Grace: Please. If the world of fashion ever lets someone like you in, the next thing we know is that fashion is dead.
    Mackie: They’re doing it again!
    Dad: Girls, if you don’t stop this, I’m going to confiscate your phones for a week.
    Grace: Well, Lucy started it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Characters = Larry (Dad), Maria ( Mother), Sharon ( eldest sister ), Aaron ( middle child), Tyler ( last child)


    Tyler: Dad can we go somewhere? I’m very bored.
    Larry: We must not go Ty, the government issue a lockdown. Just go and play with your siblings okay
    Sharon: Yes Tyler father is right, until the government ends the lockdown we can’t go anywhere!
    Aaron: Sure Sharon, let’s trust the government Yey!
    Tyler: Why do you sound like that big brother?
    Aaron: This pandemic is a lie even many scientists can’t confirm the truth about this pandemic. It’s just another hoax!
    Larry: Aaron, the government is true by issuing this lockdown to contain the outbreak.
    Aaron: Dad they are just clowns, don’t you hate politicians?
    Sharon: Aaron, where do you get that information? You are the one who’s trusting the hoax the pandemy is very real and people are getting sick out there
    Aaron: Yeah right mrs smarthead! Uuu you are very smart sis just go and develop the vaccine if you are smart enough but oh wait you don’t
    Larry: Hey! Don’t say that Aaron your sister is right! Out there many unfortunate people have died because of this pandemy and you still think this is a joke?
    Tyler: I believe in Aaron hehehhee
    Sharon: Ty, don’t believe everything you heard especially if a morron said something like Aaron
    Aaron: Sure, mrs smart head!
    Larry: Enough everyone! The pandemic is very real and if you want to go out Aaron just go but be sure to go to the hospital first to check if you contracted the virus
    Maria: What’s going on out here? Why are you shouting Larry?
    Aaron: Mom, do you believe in this pandemic nonsense it’s all just a hoax!
    Maria: Aaron my dear the pandemic is very real don’t you watch the news? Lots of people are getting sicker and sicker out there.
    Larry: Yeah, sure he will believe if he is not stubborn like you Maria!
    Maria: Who are you calling stubborn Larry?! Even you can’t bring enough food sometimes for the family!
    Sharon: Okay, okay everyone let’s go to our room okay.
    Larry: Shut your mouth Maria, I work so hard to feed all of you!
    Tyler: Yeah dad, mom is right sometimes we can’t eat for a day
    Maria: See! Even little Tyler here realize that you are always slacking around!
    Aaron: Yeah dad go out there and work harder not being a lazy guy
    Larry: Find tomorrow I’ll leave let’s just see who will survive and who’s not!
    Sharon: Oh my God why it turns out like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Characters: Mom, Dad, Haley, Alex, Luke
    Mom: Luke! Are you going to spend all day on that couch? Come help me prepare dinner.
    Luke: *not listening, playing video games, headphones on*
    Mom: Oh, for God’s sakes. LUKE!
    Dad: [To Mom] Hey, honey. What’s the matter?
    Mom: [To Dad] Look at your son. He’s been playing video games all day. Who knows if he even attended his online classes. Do you think he’s going to graduate high school like this?
    Dad: Of course! I spent 75% of my time dating different girls in high school and I got into college anyway.
    Mom: Seriously?! I don’t want our son to turn into you. He needs to be an ideal kid, just like everybody else. Gosh, he worries me.
    Dad: Hey, watch your words! There is no such thing as an ideal kid. Our kid is OUR kid, and I support him regardless. Do you think YOU have been a better role model to him? Stop the fuss, let me talk to him.
    Dad: [to Luke] Hey, buddy.
    Luke: [takes off his headphones] What’s up Dad?
    Dad: Nothing, just checking on you. Do you mind helping you mom prepare our dinner tonight?
    Luke: Why don’t you help?
    Dad: Because mom wants YOU to help her.
    Luke: [to Mom] Mom?! I’m just enjoying some free time here. Why don’t you let Alex help, she’s also been doing nonsense all day; being a nerd.
    Alex: [To Luke] Shut up! [To Mom] Mom, sorry, I can’t help you, I have SATs coming up. [To Luke] Luke, don’t call me a nerd, at least I’m not a disappointment to the family!
    Luke: You’re calling ME a disappointment to the family? Well, let’s see who’s gonna be alone forever.
    Alex: Yeah? Let’s see who’s gonna get married first and get a divorce and get into jail.
    Mom: Alex? Don’t talk to your brother like that!
    Luke: Yeah, you don’t have to talk about yourself like that Alex.
    Haley: What’s all this? If you all don’t wanna help mom, let me do it.
    Luke: Since when did you become such a sweet mommy’s little girl?
    Alex: She probably just got fired from her last job.
    Dad: Another one?! Haley, you really should take your jobs seriously.
    Haley: [to Alex] What do you know about adult life, nerd? I’ve just started my own online business!
    Mom: That’s really nice honey, what products do you sell?
    Luke: Probably herself.
    Haley: Shut up Luke! At least I’m doing something, what are YOU doing? Lying on the couch all day, playing video games? Even grandpa’s dog can do the same thing, AND acing it.
    Alex: See, no one thinks you’re gonna succeed Luke.
    Luke: Stop talking, you two. Bill Gates dropped out of college and now look at where HE is.
    Dad: Buddy, I don’t want to discourage you, but he is one in a billion. You can’t compare yourself to somebody like him.
    Luke: Even you don’t believe in me Dad. Mom, Haley and Alex don’t know anything about me. Alex barely has a friend. And Haley, Haley is a total mess! Mom, you do support me, right?
    Mom: No, they’re right. You either focus on your studies or you will ruin your life FOREVER! Now, help me prepare dinner.
    Dad: [Tries to escape]
    Mom: ALL OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mom: Apollo, would you mind doing the dishes for me tonight?

    Apollo: Ugh, mom… Can’t you just let Artemis do the dishes instead?

    Artemis: Right, leave all of the household chores to the youngest one

    Apollo: I never said ALL of the household chores, I only asked for the dishes

    Hera: For crying out loud, I’ll do the dishes since all of your weak butts can’t bother being a responsible adult

    Apollo: What do you know about being an adult? You’re only a 9th grader

    Artemis: Yeah, I agree with Apollo! We still have some sense of responsibility, you know!

    Hera: Which makes me the oldest of all of you. So, quit being lazy and do your own chores when you’re asked to

    Dad: Hera’s right. Since our nanny couldn’t make it here because of the lockdown, we have to learn how to work as a team. And you two… Really? A sense of responsibility, hmm? Well then, can you list me some of your sense of responsibility?

    Artemis: Uhh… I’m good at cleaning my room

    Apollo: Yeah and I water our plants too every morning. You just don’t see me because I wake up early… To… Water our plants… *laughs nervously*

    Dad: Proof it

    Artemis and Apollo: Uhh…

    Dad: Just as I expected. You hate getting dirty Apollo. As for you, Artemis, you don’t know how to manage your own room without the nanny’s help

    Mom: Okay, that’s enough for the three of you. If we keep horsing around like this, we’re never going to clean our house which means I can’t cook spaghetti for tomorrow since all of you can’t decide who’s going to help me

    Dad: Okay, Apollo… Artemis… Help your sister do the dishes since she’s got plenty to take care of

    Artemis and Apollo: *sigh in unison* Fine…

    Hera: *sighs* I just wish the government can come up with a new solution instead of making us unproductive amidst this pandemic. And by that, I mean making me have to handle those two little gremlins

    Mom: What do you mean by being unproductive? The government is doing its best to guarantee our safety and productivity. Besides, I think we’re doing just fine

    Hera: I don’t know… I mean ever since this quarantine, we’ve been evolving… Backwards if you know what I mean. All of my friends like to cheat while doing assignments since our teacher can’t really see us doing it. Some of my friends are even still asleep while they’re on a Zoom class. It’s just making us more and more lazy. The government should’ve come up with a solution as soon as possible. Otherwise, we’re going to be stuck here forever and it could lead to more deaths all over the world. Some kind of ethical government we have.

    Dad: Well, it’ll be their loss, that’s for sure. Who says that school’s over? Besides, don’t let them affect you. As for the government, we still have to wait for the right vaccine for this virus because, to be frank, it IS a fatal virus

    Mom: Right, I’m sure the scientists all over the world are doing their best to help the world recover, they just need some time. As for you, young lady, I’m sure that you can still handle your materials in school, right?

    Hera: Whatever, I’m not blaming the scientists! The government sucks! The government should’ve had some backup plan a long time ago. Could the government be behind this? How could you not see it? UUGHH!! *makes her way to the kitchen*

    Dad: Well, I guess we have a conspiracy theorist living under our roof

    Mom: *smacks his arm*

    Dad: OUUCHH!! I’m kidding

    ReplyDelete
  16. Characters : John (Dad), Linda (Mom), Will (Oldest son), Liam, Sydney (Youngest child, only daughter)

    On a Saturday morning in John’s family

    Linda : Okay, I made some eggs and toast! Come get some!
    Liam : Again?
    Linda : It’s simple and it’s good. Why not make it again?
    Liam : I miss eating out at Aunt Jessie’s place. Her pancakes are super nice.
    John : Liam, we’re not going out.
    Liam : I never said I wanted to go out though?
    John : Well, you were subtly asking to go out, right?
    Liam : No, I’m fine being inside. Instead, a certain someone who just woke up has been acting erratic lately asking me to drive her around.
    Sydney : Ugh.
    Linda : Ugh, ugh. Don’t just whine, come eat.
    Sydney : I don’t get it, why does it take those genius scientists such a long time to develop a vaccine, or better, a cure? I mean, we’ve been inside for how long, nine months?
    Will : Syd, it usually takes years to develop a vaccine. They’re trying their best to speed it up.
    Sydney : Said who? It seems pretty straightforward to formulate. They’re definitely doing poorly in my eyes.
    Will : What do you know about vaccines? You don’t even study and you only get a B at maximum.
    Sydney : What? Don’t assume stuff you don’t know, I’ll get my exam papers so-
    Linda : Will. Sydney. Shut up. You guys aren’t five anymore.
    Liam : Um… okay, so should we eat?
    John : I think so. Let’s circle around and tell me what you people have been doing this week. Old guy is curious.
    Liam : Okay, I’ll start. I’ve been staring at my laptop 24/7. I think that that poor thing is about to explode.
    Will : 24/7? What are you doing exactly, Liam?
    Liam : Studying?
    Will : More like, gaming?
    Liam : Don’t assume stuff, nerd. All you do is study at the library anyways.
    Sydney : Haha, why do I have two lame brothers. Well, for me, I’ve been staring outside and contemplating whether I should go out or not because I’m slowly going nuts.
    John : Sydney, no-
    Sydney : I know, Dad. I know. I don’t always obey you but I’m not that bad. I’m just jealous at the special treatment you give to Will.
    Will : What? You know I had to go out sometimes because of university stuff and the library.
    Sydney : That’s what you always say, but I’m positive that after you do your business, you’ll go eat somewhere with your friends, go shopping for a while, then come back home.
    Will : Wow, you’re good at making stories up, you should be an author.
    Liam : But honestly, Sydney might be right. Why are you away for so long?
    Sydney : See? Liam agrees with me.
    Will : Okay, I might be guilty of eating out once in a while but-
    John : Will.
    Will : I know, I’m sorry Dad. I don’t do it often though.
    Linda : John, go easy on the kid.
    John : Nah, I’m a chill old guy. Just stay safe and don’t do it too often, okay? I believe that you’re old enough to know that.
    Sydney : DAD!
    John : But you should be in charge of washing the dishes for this week.
    Will : The whole week?
    John : No bargaining in this house, my son.
    Will : Okay, that’s not fair. What if I’ll be late for my class because I have to wash the dishes?
    Liam : You’re very dramatic. I did it for two weeks straight.
    Sydney : I still don’t think that that’s fair. He should help on cleaning the house as well.
    Will : If I clean the house, I’ll be tired. If I’m tired, I won’t be able to focus on my classes. I’m aiming for an A, not for a B like you, Syd.
    Liam : Oh cut it out, Willie. You’re like a whiny 12-year old right now.
    Sydney : Are you referring to me, Liam?
    Liam : Maybe.
    Linda : I think you should also be in charge of cleaning the house, Will. I mean, your other siblings were correct about that special treatment you got. You know how strict John is about the whole COVID-19 ordeal but you got a semi-pass.
    Sydney : Okay, mom agrees. You lose, Will.
    Will : Dad?
    John : You already know my answer, big boy. Now get ready to scrub the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dad : Vivian! David! Noah ! Come down now, it’s time for dinner
    Vivian : wait dad, give us 5 more minutes
    David : yes pls, we’re in the middle of something important
    Mom : what is so important than our family dinner ?
    Vivian : You wouldnt understand mom, it’s a gen-z thing
    Noah : Boomers like you wouldnt understand mom
    Mom : what is it then ? try me
    David : we’re in the middle of a ranked online game mom, it is highly important for us to win to estabilish our place on the online leaderboard
    Vivian : ... and if we’re good enough then we have the chance of becoming a pro gamer mom, like dad said if you put enough hard work into something then you would become good at it
    Noah : Exactly
    Mom : HahaHahahah, i thought all three of you were doing school projects, but a game ? i never thought that all of you were into that thing
    Dad : could you pause the game and continue after we have dainner ?
    Vivian,David&Noah : NOOOOOOOOO
    Noah : it cannot be paused dad ! do you even know how this works ? besides in this pandemic all we have on our hands is time
    Dad : Ok make sure you win the game and after tha go down here to have dinner with us, i have some important news to tell
    10 minutes later
    Dad : ok since everyone is here i would like to break the news to all of you... yesterday, your grandpa was admitted to the hospital due to having covid related symptoms
    Vivian : wait grandpa has covid ?
    Noah : thats not possible! How ?
    David : my history teacher said that covid patient has low chance of surviving dad
    Noah : nonsense david, just ignore your crazy history teacher, he’s mind is full of conspiracy theories, you cant trust a word coming out of his mouth
    Mom : well the truth is we dont know how bad his condition is since the doctor told us that we’re not allowed to visit, but lets all pray for grandpa’s recovery
    Dad : thats the only thing that we can do for grandpa right now, children lets pray !


    ReplyDelete
  18. Characters: Mom, Dad, Jake, Josh, Judy
    Mom : Kids, come here, let's talk.
    Jake : What mom. I'm playing with my friend right now.
    Josh : Yeah mom, I'm also playing with my friend too.
    Judy : Coming mom!
    Dad : Boys stop for a while; this is important.
    Mom : Please save some time for family boys, you can play your games again after this.
    Jake and Josh : Alright, fine then. What are we going to talk about?
    Dad : Let's decide on what we are going to order for dinner.
    Josh : Wow, dad, that's so important. I was reaching my high score.
    Dad : It was the only way to convince both you rascals to stay here for a while.
    Jake : Alright then. What are we going to order?
    Judy : French food!
    Josh : What do you know about French food, Judy? I bet you couldn't tell me one French cuisine.
    Judy : Hey, I saw it in my favourite TV show. It looks delicious!
    Josh : You only watch cartoon.
    Jake : let's choose a food that is easy to find. Besides, I know a French restaurant that closed down because of this stupid pandemic.
    Dad : Mom, what would you like for dinner?
    Mom : I want something soupy like Soto.
    Josh : Come on, mom. We just ate Soto last week. Let's order a mouthwatering Padang rice.
    Dad : Are you crazy? It's one of the unhealthiest food ever in Indonesia.
    Jake : Don't listen to Josh, his diet is basically trash-eating
    Dad : That's it. I think we have to order from the restaurant near the mall. It got Indonesian food and surprisingly French food.
    Josh : Great, now it's all settled and I can play my game again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. [March, 2020]

    ]Dad: Corona virus cases is going up since people won’t stay at home. Just like you, Kim.
    Mom: Dad, please don’t be too harsh on her. It is because she is still a teenager, maybe she is bored of this quarantine.
    Kim: Look, Dad. I’m sorry for going out without asking your permission first. The thing is that I was so bored and I didn’t even stay more than 5 hours outside.
    Rai: Kim, it doesn’t change the fact that you went outside, in the middle of crowd, while this pandemic is still going wild.
    June: Yes, I agree with Rai. My friend, Hannah, told me that her neighbor got the virus while they went out for a grocery shopping. But, Mom is right too. Kim is still unmatured to think wisely so we better give her advices instead of being mad at her.
    Dad: June, your sister is wrong. If we just let her, she will repeat the same mistake again soon.
    Mom [to Dad]: Oh, God... Many parents out there fight to protect their child. Instead of doing so, you attack your own daughter?
    Kim: Enough. I am too tired to join this conversation.
    Rai: Of course you are tired. You went out for a concert, didn’t you?
    June: Kim, that’s not polite.
    Dad: Kim, you better listen and respect your parents and your older siblings. That’s how it should be.
    Mom: Chill out.. let me prepare dinner. You guys can continue this wild conversation.
    Kim: Mom, don’t go. Everyone is attacking me right now.
    Rai: You are so childish, Kim.

    [30 minutes later]
    Mom: Dinner is ready! Let’s relax and stop arguing, okay?
    Dad: Kim, come here.
    Kim: Are you going to blame me again?
    Mom: Respect you Dad, Kim. Talk nicely to your parents.
    Kim: I’m sorry, Dad.
    Dad: I also wanted to apologize, Kim. I was just worry about you so much.
    June: This house is a lot cooler when we talk calmly like this. Just like a family conversation in my favorite TV series, hahaha [laughing].

    ReplyDelete
  20. A conversation between Mom, Dad, Alaska, Nebraska and Flo, a toddler.
    *Alaska hopped into the backseat of the car*
    Dad: Where are the others?
    Alaska: I’m not sure. I’m just glad that we are finally going out.
    Dad: Finally, after eight, nine months of quarantine, I can finally have a break from you guys.
    Alaska: From us? If you haven’t notice, you are the one who is obnoxiously loud when you’re on the phone that the whole neighborhood can hear you. The one who deserves a break is me.
    Dad: What? You’re overreacting.
    Alaska: No. I could hear you screaming your lungs out every time you were on a conference call. Had you kept the noise down, it would be easier for me to finish my online exam last week. It was so loud; I could not even focus. I barely finished the test and because of that, I got C on Chemistry.
    Dad: You got a C on your first year??
    Alaska: Well, yes, but that’s not my point. I was asking you to-
    Dad: I don’t care. I don’t want to hear it from you who got a C on Chemistry.

    *Nebraska and Flo slid right next to Alaska, while Mom was locking the front door*
    Mom: Are you sure about this?
    Dad: Of course. You heard what news said the other day. There is no need to worry about the virus anymore.
    Mom: Isn’t it too soon? They literally just made the announcement yesterday. Do you think it’s safe for us to go out today?
    Nebraska: Mom is right. All of my friends are still in quarantine as well for the next two weeks. Are you sure about this, Dad?
    Alaska: Oh, shut up. You don’t even have that many friends.
    Nebraska: And you think a loner like you do?
    Flo: What is a loner?
    Dad: Not now, kids.
    Mom: What if the infection is still spreading, but people just don’t test themselves? What if we come across corona-positive people who are not even aware that they have it?
    Dad: Well, have you ever heard of anyone having the virus in the last couple of days? Exactly. You are just overthinking.
    Mom: I’m being attentive.
    Flo: Mom, what is attentive?
    Dad: If the virus is still spreading, the government would still be locking us down, honey. We are going out today.
    Alaska: Yup, he’s right. He’s the dad. He’s the breadwinner. The decision is made.
    Flo: What’s a breadwinner?
    Mom: Ugh, all of you are so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I would like to apologize for submitting this late. It is my fault. I thought I posted it already right after the class.

      Delete
  21. Scene: 12.00 am / at the house / stargol tries to sneak out whilst quarantine

    Stargol (in a call): “hello are you guys still open?”

    Bar: “yes we are open up until 3”

    Stargol: “okay thank you”

    Scene: 12.00 am / stargol tries to sneak out to go to a bar at senopati

    Stargol sneaks around the house trying not to get caught

    whilst sneaking through the living room accidentally knocked down a flower vase. Dad woke

    Dad: “stargol where are you going?”

    Stargol: “im just hungry and wanted to make some noodles”

    Dad: “then why are you so dressed up?”

    Scene: Mom woke up / came to check on the noises

    Mom: “whats going on here? Stargol, why are you so dressed up”

    “silence”

    Stargol: “i was wanting to go to a bar..”

    Dad and mom: “are you crazy?”

    Stargol: “i was so cooked up in here, it’s exhausting being in the house for 3 months straight!”

    Dad: “you do realize whats out there, right?”

    Stargol: “yeah, i know”

    Mom: “you do realize people are dying from this disease right?”

    Stargol: “YES! I know!”

    Scene: shaniqua and imah came to the living room

    Mom: “shaniqua! Imah! Why are you dressed up? Are you guys going somewhere too?”

    Imah: “yeah, we were going to this bar in senopati”

    Stargol: “See!”

    Shaniqua: “we are so cooked up in here mom. Can’t you feel it? I haven’t seen the outside world for 3 months mom! Three months!

    Imah: “plus all we do here is just go to online classes, eat, and sleep. WE NEED TO GET OUT MOM”

    Dad: “okay i know, im exhausted too, same as you guys, but it’s not worth it risking your lives to go to some bar”

    Mom: “how ‘bout this, let’s make some activities here at home as a family, starting tomorrow, we can have game nights, movie nights and we can cook together a family. How’s that sound?”

    Dad: “besides, before all this all you guys do is go out, at this pandemic era dont you guys realize? We are finally here as a family! What we have to do is just to finds ways to make it as fun as possible”

    Mom: “and as a family!”

    Stargol: “sounds good to me”

    Shaniqua: “yeah.. i dont see why not?”

    Imah: “yea that actually sounds fun”

    Narrator )in the voice of Morgan Freeman): “be with your family, stay at home, dont be stupid”

    ReplyDelete