This weeks' writing assignment
Write a script for a single-location scene in a TV drama with five characters: a mother, father, three siblings. They are irritable having been couped up in their house for several weeks because of a pandemic. They are bickering about all sorts of typical family issues and interpersonal grievances. Include as many logical fallacies in the script as you can. Spend 30 minutes writing it. Submit at 12 noon tomorrow at the latest
.
Son 1: You have to stop using my bike without asking, it's annoying and unnecessary. You have your own bike go use it!
ReplyDeleteFather: My house my rules. As if you haven't used my bike without asking in the past?
Son 2: Or mine. You reap what you sow you son of a bitch
Mother: [Son 2], are you calling me a worthless, maniacal, nonsensical, borderline schizophrenic, bipolar, devoid-of-any-emotions and crazy woman?
Son 1: (to son 2) Yeah and what does that make you?
Son 2: [To Mother] Yes. You are exactly right.
Father: Wait a minute, you shouldn't even care if I use your bike. You're meant to stay at home and I don't recall you ever asking me for permission to leave.
Son 1: I don't need your permission to go outside, what's next ? Do I have to ask for permission if I want to breathe now?
Son 3: Yeah dad you're not a dad if you give us these restrictions like some drill sergeant
Father: Look, you are living under my roof. You have to follow my rules. If you don't like it you're more than welcome to leave.
Son 1: I will once I finish my degree. Plus it's only the right thing anyway, everyone else leaves once they finish uni
Father: Good luck, hope you don't drop out
Dad : Wake up kids, its 6 a.m. already.
ReplyDeleteChris: Dad, today’s weekend. Why should I wake up early?
Dad : Oh please, stop nagging you are still so young and healthy.
Joy : And then, What does it have to go with waking up early? Do you want us to over-workout like you?
Dad : Wait, Now you dare to talk back to me? what a nonsense. Kids these days only trouble parents, unlike those back in my days.
Mom : Stop it honey, let’s just go out together and drink tea in the terrace. They slept late last night because they did their homework.
Dad : Wow, even my wife is against me now. What a messy world right now, back then my late mother was so obedient towards my late father.
Mom : Well, based on the latest newspaper article it is says that “husbands that nags too much will cause an early dementia for their partners, as it will increase their stress level.”
Dad : Based on the broadcast I receive from the group, “women these days are outraging” and it was written by Budi Santoso, the famous psychologist.
Chris : Dad, do you know that those are hoaxes. I think you should only believe the trusted sources.
Joy : Well, can you guys go out from my bedroom right now? I want to catch up more sleep.
Mom : Come on, let her got some sleep. (While pulling her husband)
Dad : Alright, let’s just sit in the terrace. We can drink coffee and not tea.
Daryl : I’ll wake up too then, I suddenly remember that I need to turn in the homework at 8 this morning. My laptop was error last night.
Dad : We should buy new one then, your laptop is too old. How about this afternoon?
Chris : Dad, don’t you remember that the old one is mine? His laptop is only a year old, and his was lost so he used mine.
Mom : What? So you lost that expensive laptop? Gosh, it’s unbelievable. It is your third one already.
Daryl : Well, I’m so sorry. I promise I will not lost it again if you buy me a new one.
Dad : Nope, I’m not going to buy you another one. I will buy one for Chris and you can use his old one.
Chirs : Okay dad, I’m so sorry.
Brother 2: It's my time to play, lets switch
ReplyDeleteBrother 1: No, I'm still playing
Brother 2: But before, mom said I could play at 3 o'clock
Brother 1: I didn't hear that, could you prove that mom said that?
Brother 2: Actually I can, I'm going to call mom?
Brother 1: (frantically panicking)
Mother: Hello?
Brother 2: Hello mother, didn't you previously stated that at 3 o'clock it is my turn to play
Mother 1: yes, is your brother not letting you play?
Brother 1: fine fine fine here you go
(ends call)
Father: What with all the ruckus your baby sister is sleeping
Baby sister: (snoring)
Father: And don't be too close to the TV it's going to hurt your eye
All brother: no it doesn't, see based on WebMD sitting closer to the TV will give you headache but it will no damage your vision
Father: still you could get a headache, I'm the one in charge okay don't sit too close to the TV
Lee : Mommmmmmm, can you make me fried chicken pleaseeee?
ReplyDeleteMom : Oh my asep, mommy is very disappointed to say that I can’t make it right now because we don’t have any chicken left. I also can’t make it to the store because it’s very dark outside.
Lisa : Ah here we go again, mom is being dramatic. (1)
Lee : Dad, mom is too lazy to make me fried chicken!!!! (2)
Father : Mom, how dare you lie to our son?
Diluc : I think it’s a good idea for mom not making the chicken. We know that Lee is useless. (1)
Lee : Wait WHATTT, how is your statement relevant bro?
Lisa : So you just admitted that you are useless HAHAHA.
Lee : Shut up moo, all your friends said that you are the most annoying girl in the whole campus. (7)
Mom : Okay, that’s enough kids! It’s decided, me and dad will go buy some chicken okay?
Diluc : Why the sudden change of mood mom? I thought you don’t want to go outside. (1)
Father : HEY! Mom is being considerate here.
Dan : Adam, what are your thoughts about the presidential election ?
ReplyDeleteAdam : I think that Trump should win as he is proven to lower the unemployment rate by 3.5% and this is stated by the BBC
Dan : A couple of numbers from an institution isn’t going to prove that people are satisfied by Trump’s work in the office, and by that people should vote Biden
Adam : It is actually, and many people who were saved from unemployment agreed with me
Dan : But don’t you know that if Trump were to be elected there will be more immigrants that suffer under Trumps law’s that oppress the minority races, than there will be protest by the opposition which will create chaos and a drop in the country economic sector.
Adam : Well you just stated that you guys are the one who created chaos.
Dan : It only happened because there are many people agreed with me
Adam : But if Biden got elected he will continue to start wars in the middle east and doesn’t even care about the people and country economic state
Dan : Whatever, Trump wouldn’t win anyways
Adam : That just shows that you have no argument left I presume?
Dan : Well lets just see at the election day
Richard: CLARKSON! CLAAARRKSOONN! WHERE’S MY PHONE?!
ReplyDeleteClarkson: What are you screaming about at 5 in the morning?!
Richard: My phone! Where’s my phone you big oaf?!
Clarkson: How should I know? I never even touched your phone!
Richard: You’re lying! I know you’re the one who took it!
Clarkson: I didn’t! What evidence do you have that I did?!
Richard: Do YOU have any evidence that you didn’t do it?! NO! So, it must be you! [3]
James: What in the bloody hell are you lot doing screaming at this hour?
Clarkson: Richard says you stole his phone, James
James: Well, I didn’t do it. Maybe you’re the one who misplaced it
Richard: NO! I’m very sure it’s between the both of you!
Clarkson: Oh yeah? Why?
Richard: Because the two of you are utter morons who would totally steal a phone! [1]
James: That doesn’t even make sense
Dad: Children, please?! What the hell are you doing screaming around at 5 in the morning?! I’ve got work tomorrow, for God’s sake!
Mom: Honey, tomorrow is a Sunday. But I digress, what were you doing screaming at this hour?
Richard: James and Clarkson stole and destroyed my phone because they were jealous of it! [2]
Clarkson: No, we didn’t! Now you’re just making stuff up!
Dad: Ugh, could you all just apologize, honestly? It’s 5 in the damn morning at I’ve still got work tomorrow!
Mom: Didn’t you hear what I said, dear? Tomorrow’s a Sunday
Dad: Yeah well, I still need to go to work. If I don’t go to work, then we won’t have anything to eat. If that happens, then we all die of starvation. [5]
Mom: But tomorrow’s a Sunday! How could there be any work on a Sunday, especially since I know your company treats Sundays as holidays?
Dad: How would you understand anything about my company? You’ve never even worked there, hell you’ve never worked for a company at all! [1]
Richard: Give me my phone back you two idiots!
James: For the last time Richard, we didn’t take it! What would it take for you to understand?!
Richard: For you to give me my phone back! I know you two thieves stole it! Little brothers will always try to steal the older brothers’ belongings! [6]
Clarkson: That’s like saying no true Muslim wouldn’t bomb a building. And again, your argument makes zero sense anyways.
Mom [to Dad]: Well, I read a book by a famous business person, detailing about how it is to work in a company, so I would know more than you would, obviously [4]
Dad: (sarcastically) Well isn’t that just peachy?
Mom: Besides, most people agree that working on a Sunday just doesn’t make sense! 80% of workers, in fact say that there should be no working on a Sunday! [7]
Richard [to Clarkson]: Just give me back the damn phone! It’s either you stole it, or James stole it! [8]
Clarkson: For the last time Richard, we didn’t take your phone! Just try to search it in your room, for God’s sake! I’m going back to bed!
James: I agree, see you Richard.
Richard: (mumbling) Wait until I get a piece of them, I’ll tear them apart!
Dad [to Mom]: Well, most of MY coworkers agree that working on a Sunday is a necessity! [7]
Mom: Have you even asked your boss if you have a shift on Sunday?
Dad: Why would you need to ask for an extra shift? Are you that eager to kick me out of the house?! [2]
Mom: What? No! I’m only asking if you have a shift on Sunday, not asking you to take an extra shift!
Dad: Such an insensitive woman! Do you really hate me that much?! [1]
Mom: Ugh, no! I’m tired of this, I’m going back to bed!
Dad: Yeah, get back to bed, while I work down to the bone! (mumbling) Lazy woman.
Mom: Hans! DO YOUR HOMEWORK NOW! How many times I’ve told you! Do you want me to be called again by Mr. Mckenzie??! Finish it now, and I’ll come back to you.
ReplyDeleteHans: Wait mom, chill. Look at this article from oxfordlearning.com; too much homework can result in lack of sleep, headaches, exhaustion and weight loss. And I’m already exhausted by school works!
Elis: Hey! Just do your homework! When I was your age, I could be the best student in the class! And look at you now, no such things could make us proud.
Hans: Stay out of this Elis, ugh, I wished you never came back home.
Elis: What do you mean?!!! So you wished me dead??
Hans: Whatever I didn’t say anything like you did.
Elis: Watch your mouth Hans, I’m straightly gonna tell mom that you wished me dead. MOMMM PLEASE TEACH HANS HOW TO BEHAVE!
Mom: What the heck you guys?! I was in a zoom meeting and you guys were yelling!! It stresses me out! My life is not just about you two! Solve your own problems!
Hans: Haha see? Mom doesn’t even care. Maybe that’s why you never had any real friends in your life, because you are a problem-maker!
Elis: Hey young man, I’m the one who is older than you. So just shut up, you don’t know anything about life!
Dad: Hey, hey what is wrong here?
Elis: ugh I don’t know just ask Hans, he was the one who started this.
Mother: Ella! How many times do I have to tell you to not put your leg up when you’re eating?
ReplyDeleteSansa: Mom, just let her be… She’s not going to listen to you because Ella is just a little girl who only thinks of herself.
Ella: Dad! Sister just called me a disappointment to this family! Aren’t you going to scold her?
Father: Well if your mother thinks your table manners is in need of improvements and your sister thinks the same, then you are surely in the wrong.
Ella: How can you guys say that I have no manners? Sister is always on her phone and Averell is literally playing with his PS4 as we’re having dinner!
Mother: It’s because you’re an unmarried beautiful woman, Ella! If you continue this habit, men will see you as unmannered. Then, they would tell their friends about how unworthy you are and in just a few days, our family reputation would be stained. Do you really want to be single and alone for the rest of your life?
Sansa: Hey Averell, would you want to marry someone like Ella? She is a perfect balance between unfeminine and man-like.
Ella: Who are you to determine how a woman should act?
Father: The daily morning show I watched today said that a young unwedded teen should make sure that her posture is right because it shows a lot about a person’s character and he’s never wrong. So, can’t you just stop?
Averell: Kak, I’ve never seen you with a boyfriend. Maybe everyone is actually right…
Ella: Maybe you guys are, but we’re literally just talking about a sitting position. I’ll stop doing it eventually.
Mother: Oh my god Sansa… Your sister is planning on getting married when she’s already 60. Hunny, I think she’s having a problem with finding the right man…
Ella: No I’m not! Tell me one thing that makes that anywhere near true! You can’t, right?
Averell: Kak, why don’t you just tell us why?
Ella: Just stop it! Would you guys rather I continue sitting the way I want or just leave this house right now?
Sansa: Ugh, here goes another dramatic breakdown...
Father
ReplyDeleteMother
Mika (child 1)
Nika (child 2)
Lisa (child 3)
Lisa: Mom! Nika is using my clothes again. Look! She is using my pink jacket.
Mom: Nika, where are you going in the middle of a pandemic like this?
Nika: I’m going to meet my friends at the mall. Why?
Lisa: Look, Mom! She is trying to caught the virus and spread it to our family (2)
Mom: Just stay home, Nika, it is not safe to go out and meet your friends. the government say that we have to stay at home. (2)
Father: Your sister and your mom is right.
Mika: That’s right, Nika. If you decide to go out with your friends, one of them might already carry the virus, you might as well caught it and spread it to our family. (5)
Mom: Let’s just watch Korean drama together!
Nika: Alright…alright. I will take off my jacket first.
Lisa: That is MY jacket.
Nika: Whatever
(After two hours of watching Korean drama)
Mika: Mom, I am so hungry.
Mom: what do you all want to eat?
Lisa: I want to eat instant noodles!
Father: You already eat instant noodles twice this week. You already wat it way too much and if you decide to eat it again today you might as well get sick and be hospitalized. (5)
Lisa: Okay, anything would be fine. Maybe fried chicken, Mom?
Mom: Okay, I will make it.
Mom: Kids, dinner’s ready! Come down!
ReplyDeleteJulia: Ugh really? Another roasted duck? I swear we already had this meal at least four times just in one week.
Reza: Hey, learn to have some gratitude. Besides, what’s wrong with roasted duck? It always tastes wonderful for me.
Julie: First of all, I don’t say that it doesn’t taste good. Second, what do you know about delicious food? You lived in a small apartment 20 miles away, eat nothing but instant noodles, and perhaps some Chinese food if you were lucky. You should thank this pandemic for bringing you home and make it possible to eat decent food once again.
Dad: Wow, that’s a bit harsh sweetie. Anyway, where’s Arthur?
Mom: Arthur, come down sweetie. Dinner’s getting cold.
Arthur: I’m coming
Julie: What took you so long?
Arthur: Oh I’m practicing for my next e-sports tournament.
Reza: Yeah man, I don’t think that is a real sport.
Arthur: Oh really? Can you explain what the “real sport” is?
Reza: Well, real sport is involving athleticism, dynamic movement, and real physical activity. Dota is not one of them
Arthur: Well, how do you explain chess then?
Julie: Chess is not a real sport.
Arthur: The International Olympic Committee has a different opinion, I am afraid. Also, I think you should remain silent on this matter Julie, I never see you sweat other than when you eat spicy food. You are already out of breath just by doing very little physical activity. So you can’t really say anything about sports.
Reza: Ooo, shot’s fired
Julie: So you say people who don’t have physical abilities can’t voice their opinion? That’s kinda lame
Arthur: That is not what I meant
Dad: Okay guys do you want to keep arguing or having a nice family dinner? If anyone wants to say something, I believe it can wait until after dinner
ReplyDeleteKarel : Mom..Dad, can we go to Jogja?
Mom : What do you mean by going to Jogja?
Karel : Yes, exactly. Is there anything wrong?
Mom : You know the answer is.
Karel : Tell me!
Mom : Big no!
Karel : That’s so unfair.
Mom : Are you crazy? The situation is unstable due to Covid-19. People are kept sick and dying.
Karel : …But, I also have a life in Jogja. My current friends are in there now. At least, I want to go there just for vacation.
Mom : And you want to keep it underestimated?
Karel : Holy. That’s not what I meant, I didn’t underestimate it. At all! There’s prevention named health protocol. And you, still, don’t realize that.
Dad : Why don’t you just instead stay at home and call your friends through Zoom or Google Meet?
Mom : Have you not realized yet? Your uncle was tested positive and you haven’t been scared enough yet? Is that proof could not get you?
Karel : Yes, but is because he was neglectful to all kind of health protocols. No doubt that he was tested positive?
Dad : He’s right
Karel : Statistic says that people who are obedient to health protocol are much safer.
Dad : But that is the chances and not all of those population were safe.
Mom : If you get tested positively, you’ll only be symptomatically sick or bring us the disease as a carrier
Brother : Not we obey the protocol
Sister : I agree with them. We do feel lonely, can doi all of the things we like, but no friends. Unlike you, going to work every day. At least you guys meet your colleague and discuss something whether it is about your work or personal life. I could say you’re all egoist
Mom : How dare you say to your parents with that mouth? Such rebellious children.
Brother : Mom! Chill out. They’re right. And you cannot strictly prohibit us for having some vacations.
Karel : Yeah at least, just give us some experience to see outside and meet our friends. We will obey the protocol. We will be aware.
Dad : Okay you can go.
Karel, Brother, Sister: Yes, thank you dad.
Father
ReplyDeleteMother
Jesse (1st child)
Sarah (2nd child)
Aurel (3rd child)
Mother: Sarah... can you not waste your time watching Netflix all the time?
Father: your mom is right, go listen to her at least for once.
Sarah: So you’re saying that I should study in my spare time rather than watching Netflix even though I have had studied earlier? (2)
*said, Sarah, a bit pissed off*
Jesse: mom and dad, please calm down. We all know that Sarah already did her asignment as a student, so it is better for her to have a day off. (4)
Aurel: yes mom, leave Sarah alone!
Father: let me ask you sarah, why do you watch netflix? You cant even do a single number of ur Math’s homework (1)
Sarah: Father, at least im trying. Didn't understand a subject doesn't mean I don’t understand all of the subjects matter!
Jesse: yes dad, Sarah has already passed her physics test with a high score.
Mom: Okay, mom and dad will not take responsibility if you got a C in your math class. It is all up to you.
*mom and dad leave the living room*
Aurel: Jesse, I think mom and dad are right. At least you need to recall all of the subjects before sleep even though you give yourself a day off.
Jesse: yeah yeah sure