Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

11 November 2020

Session 7 Class C - 11th November 2020

This weeks' writing assignment

Write a script for a single-location scene in a TV drama with five characters: a mother, father, three siblings. They are irritable having been couped up in their house for several weeks because of a pandemic. They are bickering about all sorts of typical family issues and interpersonal grievances. Include as many logical fallacies in the script as you can. Spend 30 minutes writing it. Submit at 12 noon tomorrow at the latest
.

22 comments:

  1. Father: *peeks at Anya’s book* What have we got here, ladies and gentlemen?

    Anya: Simone de Beaviour.

    Father: ‘The Second Sex’. So we’ve moved on from Nathaniel Hawthorne, I see.

    Anya: I’ve never liked any of his books. Mr. Edwards said ‘The Scarlet Letter’ is too pretentious and that it has no morals of relevance for a 21st century audience. (4)

    Mother: You know, Ann, you could start reading the school’s textbooks for a change.

    Anya: Why do you always have to make everything about grades? (2)

    Mother: You say that now, but don’t come back crying 10 years from now with a big-ass amount of student loans to pay just because you can’t be employed with a 2.0 GPA. (5)

    Father: Hey, alright that’s not fair. Anya isn’t doing that bad in school.

    Keira: I’ve heard great stories about successful people who weren’t valedictorians at school. (7)

    Matteo: None of them are about you, I bet. (1)

    Keira: Shut up, jock! (1)

    Mother: All I’m saying is that since Ann has no problem with reading three fictional books, she might as well start reading three chapters about…. I don’t know… physics?

    Anya: What makes you think I want to be the next Stephen Hawking? (2)

    Matteo: Hey, at least you get to marry twice!

    Mother: Well…. Mrs Simons told Mrs Smith and she told Mrs Brown and Mrs Brown told me… (7)

    Keira: *whispers* Talking about a reliable source here.

    Mother: …..that engineers do get paid a lot these days.

    Anya: Ah, gee, mum, not everyone wants to solve the world’s emissions problem.

    Keira: Well, mum’s got a point here. You either get a decent job or be homeless. (8) Hey, could you pass the mashed potatoes for me?

    Anya: And this is coming from a 25 year old unemployed woman who still lives with her parents and her high school siblings. (1)

    Keira: Tough time, alright! The president said there are going to be less jobs available since a recession is coming. (4)

    Matteo: She read one article about the recession and suddenly she thinks she’s an economist.

    Father: That’s not true. I heard the bakery across the street is looking for more help.

    Keira: Yeah but, those aren’t real actual jobs. (6)

    Anya: You know, all of you can try and make a 20-year life plan for me aaaaall night long, but I’m out! *storms out of the dining room*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Keira: Well, mum’s got a point here. You either get a decent job or be homeless. (8) Hey, could you pass the mashed potatoes for me?
      Anya: And this is coming from a 25 year old unemployed woman who still lives with her parents and her high school siblings. (1)
      Keira: Tough time, alright! The president said there are going to be less jobs available since a recession is coming. (4)

      Your version:
      Yeah but, those aren’t real actual jobs.

      My version:
      Yeah but, those aren’t real jobs. Or…
      Yeah but, those aren’t actual jobs.

      Observation/Question: “Mr. Edwards said ‘The Scarlet Letter’ is too pretentious and that it has no morals of relevance for a 21st century audience. (4)” True. Just citing Mr Edwards’ opinion is an Appeal to Authority, but his reasons for thinking what he does would be interesting to hear! (I DON’T mean that’s what you should have written, by the way.)

      Delete
  2. Dad: Well bon appetit everybody

    Daniel : Dad, what is this?

    Diana : Oh god it's horrible

    Dexter : Dad, why would you cook this? You can’t even cook Indomie (1)

    Dad: What do you mean? Mom said i make amazing Indomie (4)

    Mom: Oh my god kids, why did you say that? Now all your dad is going to do is cook Indomie all week and eventually all we’ll be eating is Indomie (5)

    Daniel : Arghhh, Diana why did you have to say that ?

    Diana : Oh shut up Daniel, you were thinking of saying the same thing, Idiot.

    Dexter : Mom! Daniel and Dexter are Fighting again! (2)

    Dad : Hey, break it up

    Mom : Kids do as your father says

    Diana : What do you mean mom? I wasn’t fighting, Daniel was the one who started it anyway (3)

    Daniel : Ugh, I bet you’re having a period right now (1)

    Dexter : What do you mean Daniel? Diana isn’t a true girl, she acts to much like a guy, no way she has periods (6)(1)

    Diana : Mom! Dexter is sexist (2)

    Mom : Daniel, Dexter, stop it or I’ll throw my sandal at you

    Diana : Hah, take it mommy boys (1)

    Dad : Diana, you aren't scoot free either.

    Daniel : Dammit Diana, now you and your bird brain got us all into trouble again.

    Diana : Hey! Dexter and Mom said Dad can’t cook too (7)

    Dexter : Diana. I think we better stop talking

    Mom : Kids if you keep arguing, you will either face me or your Dad (8)

    Dad : Well if you kids don't want to eat my food go make some yourself. Right you kids can’t cook, so might as well be grateful for what you are given (1)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Dad: Well bon appetit everybody
      Daniel : Dad, what is this?
      Diana : Oh god it's horrible
      Dexter : Dad, why would you cook this? You can’t even cook Indomie (1)
      Dad: What do you mean? Mom said i make amazing Indomie (4)
      Mom: Oh my god kids, why did you say that? Now all your dad is going to do is cook Indomie all week and eventually all we’ll be eating is Indomie (5)

      Your version:
      Diana : Hey! Dexter and Mom said Dad can’t cook too

      My version:
      Diana : Hey! Dexter and Mom said Dad can’t cook either.

      Observation/Question: “Well if you kids don't want to eat my food go make some yourself. Right you kids can’t cook, so might as well be grateful for what you are given.” I am not convinced this is an Ad Hominem.

      Delete
  3. JONAH : LORENNN, why are you using my charger?

    LOREN : Hey bro, can you like not scream?. I'm busy here, needed to watch live stream. I think my battery is damaged and draining out really fast so I unplugged yours and charged mine. (fiddling with her phone).

    JONAH : You could've at least told me, I need my phone to watch NBA matches today. Also, why do you have to use my charger?

    LOREN : About that, Noah used mine because he broke his.

    NOAH : Someone called me? (pop out while playing Xbox)

    JONAH : Really ever since quarantine, you guys seem to be careless with your own stuff. I swear to god, if mine is also broken because of you, don't think you can ever borrow my things.(2)(5)

    NOAH : [To Jonah] Why do you get so worked up?, you said that like you never break my glasses and mother's vase.(1)

    JONAH : [To Noah and Loren] Yeah, but that was long ago. I'm talkin' about "since QUARANTINE". I bet you can't even tell how much covid cases right now in Indonesia because of how careless you guys are. (2)

    NOAH : [To Jonah] Uhh.. and what's your proof? I read Jakarta Post and I know for a fact that we have the largest number cases in Southeast Asia.(3)(4)

    MOTHER : Okay now, stop with all the fusses.

    FATHER : Jonah, either you're going to complain all day about small things like charger, why don't you use mine. Come on son, there's always a way. (8)

    MOTHER : No, I actually think that Jonah got the point here. You guys have been careless and busy with your own world, and that also applied to you to Jonah. Why don’t you guys try new things like reading or drawing cause "life is an adventure". You guys remember the quote from yesterday's movie right?. (4)

    JONAH : But Mom... I can’t miss today’s match.

    NOAH : Yeahhh, all of my friends will be busy tomorrow so I have to play today.

    LOREN : Yeaahh, this is live stream Mom. It cannot be saved in the library.

    FATHER : Hush it, your mother is right. Life is to short for these things so don't waste it. Why don't we all play monopoly together, how about that?. (6)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      JONAH : [To Noah and Loren] Yeah, but that was long ago. I'm talkin' about "since QUARANTINE". I bet you can't even tell how much covid cases right now in Indonesia because of how careless you guys are. (2)
      NOAH : [To Jonah] Uhh.. and what's your proof? I read Jakarta Post and I know for a fact that we have the largest number cases in Southeast Asia.(3)(4)
      MOTHER : Okay now, stop with all the fusses.
      FATHER : Jonah, either you're going to complain all day about small things like charger, why don't you use mine. Come on son, there's always a way. (8)

      Your version:
      Hush it, your mother is right. Life is to short for these things so don't waste it. Why don't we all play monopoly together, how about that?.

      My version:
      Hush it. Your mother is right. Life is too short for these things, so don't waste it. Why don't we all play Monopoly together? How about that?.

      Observation/Question: “Why don’t you guys try new things like reading or drawing cause "life is an adventure". You guys remember the quote from yesterday's movie right?” I don’t think referring to a line in a song or a movie is an ‘Appeal to Authority’.

      Delete
  4. Mom
    Dad
    Sibling 1: Kiki (Collage Student)
    Sibling 2: Keke (Highschool Student)
    Sibling 3: Koko (Toddler)

    Mom and Dad: Where are you guys going?

    Kiki: We are going to the mall; it is very boring here!

    Koko: We are going to get ice cream!

    Mom: We can order it through Go-Jek, why bother getting out.

    Kiki: If we order it through Go-Jek, Koko will start crying and if Koko’s crying then you will be bothered and if you’re bothered then you are going to get angry. And we don’t want that. (5)

    Dad: But the President told us to stay at home and don’t leave no matter what! (4)

    Mum: That’s true, all of the member of the congress agrees to that! (7)

    Keke: Said the guy who went out every night! (1)

    Dad: You know that I have to go to work every night. I still have to put food on the table!

    Koko: “Starts crying”

    Mum and Dad: [Shouting to Keke and Kiki] Look at what you’ve done

    Keke and Kiki: You guys are the one that’s shouting, not us! (3)

    Mum and Dad: You are both adults so act like one!

    Kiki: If you think that we are an adult so treat us like one! (2)

    Dad: I’ll tread you like an adult if you can think clearly about the consequences of every little action you made. (6) But if that’s what you want than go ahead. Take your brothers to the mall, but don’t blame me if anything happens!

    Kiki: Okay then, but I’m taking your car since I’m an adult. (2)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Mom: We can order it through Go-Jek, why bother getting out.
      Kiki: If we order it through Go-Jek, Koko will start crying and if Koko’s crying then you will be bothered and if you’re bothered then you are going to get angry. And we don’t want that. (5)
      Dad: But the President told us to stay at home and don’t leave no matter what! (4)
      Mum: That’s true, all of the member of the congress agrees to that! (7)

      Your version:
      I’ll tread you like an adult if you can think clearly about the consequences of every little action you made. (6) But if that’s what you want than go ahead.

      My version:
      I’ll treat you like an adult if you can think clearly about the consequences of every little action you take. (6) But if that’s what you want, then go ahead.

      Observation/Question: “Kiki: If we order it through Go-Jek, Koko will start crying and if Koko’s crying then you will be bothered and if you’re bothered then you are going to get angry. And we don’t want that.” An interesting Slippery Slope argument.

      Delete
  5. Father
    Mother
    Adi (first child)
    Ari (second child)
    Andi (third child)
    Mother: Ari, can you stop playing games?

    Ari: Please, mom, this is online games. How can I stop?

    Father: Enough with your babbling! I always hear you talking like that.

    Andi: It’s true dad, I saw him playing since he woke up. He doesn’t even touch his book!

    Ari: Shut up, Andi! Look at yourself! You don’t have anything to do, don’t you? (1)

    Mother: Is it true, Ari? You should spare your time to read your textbook.

    Ari: I do. I read and learn all the lesson at midnight when Andi falls asleep.

    Father: So, you did prioritize gaming and think that education is not important? Look at your older brother. (2)

    Adi: Hey, what’s going on here? It’s so noisy, even I can hear it from my room.

    Ari: Hmm, Dad. I don’t see anything on him, just a fresh-graduate who hasn’t get a job.

    Adi: Yep, but on internet, it’s said that those who graduated from university will get higher salary compared to them who don’t continue their education. (4)

    Andi: I remember my friend joined an E-sport team and get a lot of money. I think Andi can do that as well. I know that he’s really good at some games.

    Mother: I, personally, won’t allow Ari to do that. As I know, game is temporary and they are produced by a company. What if the company bankrupts? Will you be able to live in prosperity after that? (5)

    Ari: But, I see successful players out there. They join international tournaments and even take part on representing their country on SEA Games. Isn’t that great?

    Father: Oh, so you think there is no failed player? What if you fail on pursuing your dream to become “pro player”? (3)

    Adi: Just trust in Ari, Dad. More than 60% athlete in E-sport can achieve their goals because the opportunity is really high. (7)

    Andi: Yeah, it is better to give a shot in that “E-sport world” rather than doing nothing because probably I won’t continue my education. (8)

    Mother: The choice is in your hand, then. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Andi: I remember my friend joined an E-sport team and get a lot of money. I think Andi can do that as well. I know that he’s really good at some games.
      Mother: I, personally, won’t allow Ari to do that. As I know, game is temporary and they are produced by a company. What if the company bankrupts? Will you be able to live in prosperity after that? (5)
      Ari: But, I see successful players out there. They join international tournaments and even take part on representing their country on SEA Games. Isn’t that great?

      Your version:
      The choice is in your hand, then.

      My version:
      The choice is in your hands, then.

      Your version:
      I, personally, won’t allow Ari to do that. As I know, game is temporary and they are produced by a company. What if the company bankrupts?

      My version:
      Personally, I won’t allow Ari to do that. As far I can see, games are temporary and they are produced by a company. What if the company goes bankrupt?

      Delete
  6. *Andy lays on the couch while watching her usual K-pop playlist*
    *Kesia turns on the news*

    Kesia: Dad look! Andy is watching her k-pop shows again! As usual, the lazy bum in the house.

    Andy: Shut - up! Leave me alone!

    Mother: [to Kesia] *giggles* Oh Kesia.. Just let your sister be and focus on your own things..

    Father: *giggles* It’s okay Andy, but you should also peek at the news sometimes though.

    Rizald: Talking about news, have you checked the latest update on the Omnibus Law/Bill that has passed, dad?

    Father: Yeah.. I checked last night… I can’t believe it’s being passed!

    Andy : I know right! It’s ridiculous!

    Kesia: Oh like you know anything about the bill Andy, all you do is feed yourself with your K-pop guys. (1)

    Andy: HEY!

    Kesia: [to Andy] what? … Anyways, well if you think about it again, the Omnibus Law/bill isn’t THAT bad. There ARE some parts that are a bit helpful. I mean, my friend says it actually will incentify local businesses and my lecturer says it attracts investors., so I guess it has a long-run effect after all..? (2)

    Rizald: Yeah right… Considering the situation now, it’s either gonna help our country of the middle income trap or make our country EVEN WORSE. (3)

    Dad: I agree. At this point, let’s just hope it’ll be implemented carefully. I still can’t believe out of all the other important Bills present, this one was quickly passed. *sighs*

    Mother: Well Kesia thinks the bill is actually beneficial, so let’s just wait patiently and see! (4)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Kesia: [to Andy] what? … Anyways, well if you think about it again, the Omnibus Law/bill isn’t THAT bad. There ARE some parts that are a bit helpful. I mean, my friend says it actually will incentify local businesses and my lecturer says it attracts investors., so I guess it has a long-run effect after all..? (2)
      Rizald: Yeah right… Considering the situation now, it’s either gonna help our country of the middle income trap or make our country EVEN WORSE. (3)
      Dad: I agree. At this point, let’s just hope it’ll be implemented carefully. I still can’t believe out of all the other important Bills present, this one was quickly passed. *sighs*

      Your version:
      Considering the situation now, it’s either gonna help our country of the middle income trap or make our country EVEN WORSE

      My version:
      Considering the situation now, it’s either going to help our country get out of the middle income trap or make it even worse.

      Observation/Question: Only three types of logical fallacy?

      Delete
  7. Mother
    Father
    Child 1: Rizald
    Child 2: Kesia
    Child 3: Andy

    *Andy lays on the couch while watching her usual K-pop playlist*
    *Kesia turns on the news*

    Kesia: Dad look! Andy is watching her k-pop shows again! As usual, the lazy bum in the house.

    Andy: Shut - up! Leave me alone!

    Mother: [to Kesia] *giggles* Oh Kesia.. Just let your sister be and focus on your own things..

    Father: *giggles* It’s okay Andy, but you should also peek at the news sometimes though.

    Rizald: Talking about news, have you checked the latest update on the Omnibus Law/Bill that has passed, dad?

    Father: Yeah.. I checked last night… I can’t believe it’s being passed!

    Andy : I know right! It’s ridiculous!

    Kesia: Oh like you know anything about the bill Andy, all you do is feed yourself with your K-pop guys. (1)

    Andy: HEY!

    Kesia: [to Andy] what? … Anyways, well if you think about it again, the Omnibus Law/bill isn’t THAT bad. There ARE some parts that are a bit helpful. I mean, my friend says it actually will incentify local businesses and my lecturer says it attracts investors., so I guess it has a long-run effect after all..? (7)

    Rizald: Yeah right… Considering the situation now, it’s either gonna help our country of the middle income trap or make our country EVEN WORSE. (8)

    Dad: I agree. At this point, let’s just hope it’ll be implemented carefully. I still can’t believe out of all the other important Bills present, this one was quickly passed. *sighs*

    Mother: Well Kesia thinks the bill is actually beneficial, so let’s just wait patiently and see! (2)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dad
    Mom
    Kayla
    Sofia
    Roy
    *At the dinner table*
    Mom: I can’t seem to swallow my own food these days.
    Kayla: Aww, what’s wrong, Mom?
    Mom: Well, the fact that we’re here sitting together with lots of food to eat, at home comfortably. While Oreo’s (cat) food has been untouched for a week now, it doesn't sit right with me.
    Dad: Honey, he’s alright, it’s mating season and male cats tend to look for lots of females around. Either that or he’s just wandering around the neighborhood. (8)
    Sofia: Dad! Have you never seen him before, coming back home after only two days?
    Roy: I have. Nothing wrong really, he just lays around all day like the same old. Tell me I’m wrong! Haha. (3)
    Sofia: That is exactly what’s wrong! Oreo isn’t the type to do that, with huge cuts and bruises from brawling with stray cats, you don’t think that’s wrong? (2)
    Dad: I mean, he’s still able to walk and eat, right…
    Mom: How dare you say that! He’s lost now, we don’t know if he’s able to eat or not.
    Roy: Maybe it’s because Sofia and Kayla never take care of him, only missing him when he’s gone. (6)
    Kayla: Says who? I always help mom taking care of Oreo, I give him baths and fill his empty bowls.
    Sofia: Says you, that's always out and about, Roy. Never home to play with Oreo. (1)
    Mom: Yes, we could all agree that you’ve been going out too much, Roy. Same goes to your dad coming home at 3 in the morning everyday. (7)
    Dad: I work extra hours so there’s food on our table, and internet for you guys to live with. What else do you expect me to do?
    Sofia: So you’re saying that by working those hours, you can’t stay home and spend time with us, Dad?
    Kayla: yeah, and besides, the government enforces us to stay inside, isn’t there a safer way to go to work? (4)
    Roy: This is exactly why I go out, I can’t stand a single sane day with you people! Oreo’s gone, now the blame is on me? (2)
    Mom: I’m not blaming you Roy, just saying that I wish you would stay home more. I wouldn’t want to lose my son like Oreo
    Sofia: Mom is right, Roy. Oreo fills her time spending at home, treating him as a son filling your presence.
    Dad: Sofia, don’t make him feel guilty, you stay home but locking yourself in your room all day doesn’t make it better.
    Kayla: Guys, cut it out! We’re getting off tracked here. If we go on to argue, we’re going to get heated, hating each other, so making this quarantine one hell of a nightmare. We should enjoy this dinner and pray that Oreo comes back. (5)
    Mom & Dad: Thank you, Kayla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Mom: Well, the fact that we’re here sitting together with lots of food to eat, at home comfortably. While Oreo’s (cat) food has been untouched for a week now, it doesn't sit right with me.
      Dad: Honey, he’s alright, it’s mating season and male cats tend to look for lots of females around. Either that or he’s just wandering around the neighborhood. (8)
      Sofia: Dad! Have you never seen him before, coming back home after only two days?
      Roy: I have. Nothing wrong really, he just lays around all day like the same old. Tell me I’m wrong! Haha. (3)

      Your version:
      We’re getting off tracked here. If we go on to argue, we’re going to get heated, hating each other, so making this quarantine one hell of a nightmare.

      My version:
      We’re getting side-tracked here. If we go on arguing, we’re going to get heated, start hating each other, and so make this quarantine one hell of a nightmare.

      Your version:
      Yes, we could all agree that you’ve been going out too much, Roy. Same goes to your dad coming home at 3 in the morning everyday.

      My version:
      Yes, we could all agree that you’ve been going out too much, Roy. Same goes for your dad with him coming home at three in the morning every day.

      Delete
  9. Chris: Ah! the wonderful smell of coffee in the morning hits just right.
    Luna: I like my water better. They don't make my heart race at the start of the day. Plus, it's healthier.
    Chris: Oh please, stop acting basic. You're not an Instagram influencer. (1)
    Luna: What's wrong with taking care of my health? Everybody should do it.
    Mom: Stop bickering both of you. I want to listen to my zen music while taking care of my orchids.
    Evan: Mom, you care for your orchids more than your children.
    Mom: What nonsense. You kids only want to trouble us, parents. (2)
    Dad: Honey, what's for breakfast today?
    Mom: You can make it yourself today. I've prepared the bread and chocolate spread on the counter.
    Dad: What? But from the How to Stay Married book that I read, it said that couples who have breakfast with each other last longer. (4)
    Mom: Oh? But couples that last longer don't complain about small things like this (6). You guys are making me crazy.
    Evan: Dad, can I have a new laptop?
    Dad: For what? I think your laptop works fine. You have only used it for two years haven't you?
    Evan: Yeah, but I can't play the games because of how slow it is. I think I should buy a PC with a better processor. (8)
    Dad: Ah, I see the problem here. Let's go to the store this Sunday. We'll see what they have in store.
    Luna: Great. Today it's a PC. Next week is a new phone. Then next year is a new car? Dad, you are spoiling him too much. (5)
    Evan: Please get over yourself. Everyone in this family agrees that you are the spoiled one. (7)
    Luna: Whatever, I need to do some homework. I can't afford to have you ruin my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Dad: Honey, what's for breakfast today?
      Mom: You can make it yourself today. I've prepared the bread and chocolate spread on the counter.
      Dad: What? But from the How to Stay Married book that I read, it said that couples who have breakfast with each other last longer. (4)
      Mom: Oh? But couples that last longer don't complain about small things like this (6). You guys are making me crazy.
      Evan: Dad, can I have a new laptop?

      Your version:
      Chris: Ah! the wonderful smell of coffee in the morning hits just right.
      Luna: I like my water better. They don't make my heart race at the start of the day. Plus, it's healthier.

      My version:
      Chris: Ah! the wonderful smell of coffee in the morning hits the spot (just right).
      Luna: I like my water better. It doesn't make my heart race at the start of the day. Plus, it's healthier.

      Observation/Question: “Today it's a PC. Next week is a new phone. Then next year is a new car? Dad, you are spoiling him too much.” I wonder how many IUP students have heard their parents use this Slippery Slope argument against thm!

      Delete
  10. Father
    Mother
    Rido
    Rire
    Rimi

    Father : Hello guys my lovely family, let’s have our dinner now.

    Mother : Yuhu, let’s coming to the table guys, I have cooked the most delicious rendang ever in the world, as what chef Renatta cooked, you shouldn’t doubt it.

    Rido : Yeah, you will always say that every time you cooked the dishes, I even don’t know how could you taste Chef Renatta’s rendang. Of course, hers is better. (3)

    Rire : Yeay, Rendang is my favorite.

    Rire : (to Rido) *Joking* Well, as always, we have to admit it before she starts the third world war and we will not get such those yummy dishes within a week. (5)

    Father : Yeah, my wife is the best chef in the world, I can not doubt it anymore. Anyway, as long as you know she has won first place on a prestigious cooking competition! (7)

    Rimi : (to mother) Really? Is it true, mom?

    Mother : Oh no, he started bragging again. (1)

    Rimi : What?

    Rido : (to Rima) Yes, as you know, It is his own competition, held by himself, judged by himself, and the only participant is your mother. It’s not funny either, dad. (2)

    Father : *laugh*

    Rire : Ah, you always brag each other even you already have three kid. It sometimes makes my ear itches. (1)

    Mother : Yes. But, it does make us more romantic time by time. As the doctor said us to find happiness anywhere with our spouse, in order to be a happy family. (4)

    Rido : Okay then, let’s just start our dinner now.

    Father : Who wants some glass of coke? I will take it from the Refrigerator.
    Rido, Rire, Rimi : Me!

    Mother : No, please. There is no Coke for today

    Rimi : *sad* Why mom?

    Mother : Let’s just be more healthy with mineral water.

    Rire : Who said that Coke isn’t healthy? Yes it does healthy to make us happier by satisfy our tongue with sweet drinks. (6)

    Rido and Rimi : *Noddng* Alright mom

    Father : So, you guys can choose whether to make your tongue happy or to make your life happier in the future? (8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Father : Yeah, my wife is the best chef in the world, I can not doubt it anymore. Anyway, as long as you know she has won first place on a prestigious cooking competition! (7)
      Rimi : (to mother) Really? Is it true, mom?
      Mother : Oh no, he started bragging again. (1)
      Rimi : What?
      Rido : (to Rima) Yes, as you know, It is his own competition, held by himself, judged by himself, and the only participant is your mother. It’s not funny either, dad. (2)
      Father : *laugh*

      Your version:
      Mother : Yuhu, let’s coming to the table guys, I have cooked the most delicious rendang ever in the world, as what chef Renatta cooked, you shouldn’t doubt it.

      My version:
      Mother : Yoohoo, let’s come to the table guys. I have cooked the most delicious rendang ever in the world, just like how chef Renatta cooks it. You shouldn’t doubt it.

      Observation/Question: “So, you guys can choose whether to make your tongue happy or to make your life happier in the future?” Ah yes, a False Dilemma which I am sure no teenagers would accept!

      Delete
  11. A: Father
    B: Me
    C: Mother
    D: My brother, Doni
    E: My friend, Elang
    F: My brother, Fafian
    Father: Hey kids, did you check the news this morning?
    Me: Yeah! It was talking about a riot that happened between two religious organization
    Mother: I think that the riot should not happen because religion tells us about tolerance and peace!
    Elang: I agree with you, but in fact that there are many intolerances that happened because of religion!
    Elang: Imagine the world without religion, many intolerance problems may not be accrued, then there will be no riot! (Slippery Slope)
    Fafian: Here we go, an argument that argued by a person who doesn’t even learn about any religion. Non-sense, shut your mouth because you know nothing! (Ad hominem)
    Elang: Hey! You are the one who knows nothing. Thinking without any objective reason!
    Father: Hey kids, calm down
    Father: I think religion must exist, because however kids, religion contains many good religious teachings including tolerance. Tolerance itself exists because of the existence of the religion. (Appeal with popularity)
    Mother: I should agree with you
    Doni: I just remember that The Quran also talks about tolerance, if I’m not wrong, “For you your religion, and also for me, my religion.”
    Doni: Yeah, I believe that all religion also talked about good teachings
    Elang: Guys, I think that you should re-think about your religion. Richard Dawkins said that he against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. (Appeal to Authority)
    Me: No bro, for me, religion is logical enough. I feel that I can understand the world better by learning about religion
    Elang: Why?
    Me: You know that sometimes religion also talk about the creation of the world, even things or events that seem to be unlogical, many have been approved that it already happened
    Elang: Even you said that it is unlogical things, for me must be unlogical without any fact that supported it! (Straw man)
    Me: Do you know about the story of Moses dividing the Red Sea so he and his people can escape from King Fir’aun of Egypt?
    Fafian: Recently, researchers release paper about invention that contains fact of the causes of death of King Fir’aun. It stated that the religious story of Moses dividing the Red Sea is real.
    Father: How about we change our discussion topic kids?
    Me, Doni, Elang, and Fafian: Okay dad, sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Mother: I think that the riot should not happen because religion tells us about tolerance and peace!
      Elang: I agree with you, but in fact that there are many intolerances that happened because of religion!
      Elang: Imagine the world without religion, many intolerance problems may not be accrued, then there will be no riot! (Slippery Slope)
      Fafian: Here we go, an argument that argued by a person who doesn’t even learn about any religion. Non-sense, shut your mouth because you know nothing! (Ad hominem)

      Your version:
      You know that sometimes religion also talk about the creation of the world, even things or events that seem to be unlogical, many have been approved that it already happened

      My version:
      You know that, sometimes, religion also talks about the creation of the world, even things or events that seem to be unlogical. Nevertheless, many agree that these things already happened.

      Observation/Question: “Recently, researchers release paper about invention that contains fact of the causes of death of King Fir’aun. It stated that the religious story of Moses dividing the Red Sea is real.” Unless Fafian explains this theory a bit, mentioning it in this way sounds like am Appeal to Authority.

      Delete