Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

10 November 2020

Session 7 Class B - 10th November 2020

This weeks' writing assignment

Write a script for a single-location scene in a TV drama with five characters: a mother, father, three siblings. They are irritable having been couped up in their house for several weeks because of a pandemic. They are bickering about all sorts of typical family issues and interpersonal grievances. Include as many logical fallacies in the script as you can. Spend 30 minutes writing it. Submit at 12 noon tomorrow at the latest.

34 comments:

  1. “Ahhhh I’m so bored, can’t I just go outside already?” said the youngest brother. Dad replies “No, you can’t! if you go outside, you won’t be careful with surrounding and you will catch covid-19.” “You’re still 8 years old, your dad knows better than you so you have to listen to him.” Said mother. “But why can he go, what is the difference between me and my brother?” “listen son, your brother is grown up, he is already 18 years old, he already knows how to take care of himself.” “But dad, I can take care of myself.” “No, you can’t!” “But dad, I can prove it that I can.” “you are not grown up yet, so you cannot take care of yourself, all you can do now is to attend your online school to study.” Said father. The older brother who heard the conversation comes to the living room and said “I can go with him, that should be allowed right?” Mother answers “No, what if he does something weird and catches covid-19.” “What’s wrong with you two, you always deny everything as if both of you know everything and can do no wrongs.” Said the second oldest brother. “We know better than you, we have lived longer than you.” Father replied “Whatever, I’m going back to my room” Said the second oldest brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      The older brother who heard the conversation comes to the living room and said “I can go with him, that should be allowed right?” Mother answers “No, what if he does something weird and catches covid-19.” “What’s wrong with you two, you always deny everything as if both of you know everything and can do no wrongs.”

      Your version:
      “But dad, I can take care of myself.” “No, you can’t!” “But dad, I can prove it that I can.” “you are not grown up yet, so you cannot take care of yourself, all you can do now is to attend your online school to study.” Said father.

      My version:
      “But dad, I can take care of myself.” “No, you can’t!” “But dad, I can prove that I can.” “You are not grown up yet, so you cannot take care of yourself. All you can do now is to attend your online school to study,” said father.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  2. Father : Hey! I counted that we have passed six months without holidays.
    Mother : Yeah, you know, the pandemic. The panic and physchological depression is actually the pandemic.
    A : People are getting to stop believing in the COVID-19 virus.
    B : They are conspiracy maniacs, aren’t they?
    Father : Don’t trust stupid researchers. Just obey to the government rules.
    C : Since I watch the documentary of COVID-19 by Flat Earth 101, I began to stop believing in it too. It is a total lie. It is all about control.
    A : You have no reason to talk about it! You are the smallest, how can you talk like that?
    Mother : You are a really critical kid, C. But today, it is better to stay safe with conforming the government’s regulation, until it all ends, isn’t it?
    B : I also think that, who are we obeying to? Why are we positioned to be a not-so-normal mankind like this?
    Father : Officially, yeah, it is the government. Do not worry. After we have the vaccines next year, we’re all safe.
    Mother : Stop relying on it. WHO said eventhough we have the vaccines in our body, it does not mean we will go back to the normal times.
    B : Are we being pranked? What’s the documentary about,C?
    C : The pandemic has been planned with some global leaders on November 2019. I never know, why should a pandemic have a simulation? Is it a real pandemic or plandemic? If I am not mistaken, the name of event is Event 201 : A Global Pandemic Exercise in Youtube.
    A : Oh, if it is the fact, the pandemic is a 100% plandemic, isn’t it?
    Father : Just wait for the vaccination next year, A. Do not read any relevant sources if you are not having it from the government.
    Mother : The government is not always true. They are corrupts.
    Father : Not all government officials do that. Just stay at home, and stay safe.
    C : Better to search bias sources outside from the government businesses Dad. They are not the angels. The kindest human being could be an evil sometimes.
    Father : Have a rest, and do not think about all of this too much. I know we can pass this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      C : The pandemic has been planned with some global leaders on November 2019. I never know, why should a pandemic have a simulation? Is it a real pandemic or plandemic? If I am not mistaken, the name of event is Event 201 : A Global Pandemic Exercise in Youtube.
      A : Oh, if it is the fact, the pandemic is a 100% plandemic, isn’t it?
      Father : Just wait for the vaccination next year, A. Do not read any relevant sources if you are not having it from the government.

      Your version:
      B : I also think that, who are we obeying to? Why are we positioned to be a not-so-normal mankind like this?
      Father : Officially, yeah, it is the government. Do not worry. After we have the vaccines next year, we’re all safe.

      My version:
      B : I also think wonder, who are we obeying? Why are we in this abnormal situation?
      Father : Officially, yeah, it is the government. Do not worry. After we have the vaccines next year, we’ll all be safe.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  3. Father
    Mother
    Kris (Highschool student)
    John (College Student)
    Sydney (College Student)


    Mother: I just checked our saving accounts. We have 300 dollars left. It would be best if you got a job a soon as possible. I know it's hard, but if we don't do anything, we can't paid our children education anymore.
    Father: Yeah, later *busy watching TV*
    Mother: Look, we need to do something. I am tired of hearing you said that, please do this for our children later all the time.
    *Kris, John, and Sydney sneak silently behind the sofa*
    Father: *Turn off the TV* I don't know what to do, my previous job is the perfect one for me, it suits me. I don't know the company will bankrupt because of this. I am trying my best here.
    Mother: Should we get a student loan, I give up.
    *Kris, John, and Sydney stand up and sit on the sofa with them*
    John: Mom, Me and Sydney will try our best to get the scholarship, so you just need to worry about Kris.
    Sydney: I can also work part-time when I am free.
    Kris: *nodding along*
    Father: Look, kids, Because I lose my job back then, I can't found any jobs that will accept me. But I promise you. I am trying my best here. John, Sydney, don't worry if you don't get the scholarship, we will go through this together, we will sort this problem as a family. And Kris focuses on your studies.
    Mother: I know you are all bored at home because you guys can't hang out with your friends, but this is a tough time for us. I just wanted you guys to stay strong and believe that we will get through this.
    John: I know, mom. This is hard for us.
    Father: Look, because we are all here, I just wanted to come out clean is not John that smoke outside the other day. It is me.
    Mother: *loud voice* What? Why are you like this, John, Sydney, Kris, go to your room now.
    John, Sydney, and Kris padded to their room.
    Father: I know, I am sorry, I just feel stressed out lately. And smoking seems to calm me down.
    Mother: Please get money for us.
    Father: *nodded*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Mother: Should we get a student loan, I give up.
      *Kris, John, and Sydney stand up and sit on the sofa with them*
      John: Mom, Me and Sydney will try our best to get the scholarship, so you just need to worry about Kris.
      Sydney: I can also work part-time when I am free.
      Kris: *nodding along*

      Your version:
      Father: Look, kids, Because I lose my job back then, I can't found any jobs that will accept me. But I promise you. I am trying my best here. John, Sydney, don't worry if you don't get the scholarship, we will go through this together, we will sort this problem as a family. And Kris focuses on your studies.

      My version:
      Father: Look, kids. Since I lost my job back then, I haven’t been able to get a job that will accept me. But I promise you, I am trying my best here. John, Sydney, don't worry if you don't get the scholarship, we will get through this together. We will sort out this problem as a family. And Kris, focus on your studies.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  4. Mom: Honey, is it true that COVID-19 can be cured by using hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug?
    Dad: Yes, I saw Elon Musk’s tweet last night! He said that it’s useful for reducing inflammation. Even Donald Trump is using the same thing for his country.
    Beth: Wait… but I thought our country already stopped using that antimalarial drug.
    Dad: What? No wonder our country is categorised as a developing country. This is madness! We have no other choice aside from consuming that drug as a medication.
    Jo: Sorry, dad, but I have to disagree. I read WHO’s article about hydroxychloroquine! They said that some COVID-19 patients had more complications with their cardiacs after consuming that drug. There’s a reason why WHO prevented our country from using that antimalarial drug.
    Amy: Shut up, Jo! Mom and dad are older than you, which means that they are more educated compared to you.
    Dad: Jo, you’re just a child. Even the USA is still using hydroxychloroquine as their medication.
    Mom: I agree with your dad and Amy, sweetie. We mean no harm, but please trust us.
    Beth : *Scoffs* How are we supposed to trust you if you still refuse to wear a mask? WHO specialises in healthcare for years.
    Dad: Watch your tone, Beth. I had enough. The healthy ones are not obligated to wear masks. Our immune system is decent; I feel like COVID-19 is just a conspiracy; our government is not being sincere.
    Jo: Dear Lord, please have mercy on me. Just because we have an excellent immune system, it doesn’t mean we can’t be the carrier. Dad, our grandma is not getting any younger, which means she’s more susceptible to COVID-19 than us.
    Amy: Wow, so you’re telling me that you think mom and dad are dumber than you since their opinion is invalid?
    Beth: Amy, that’s not what she meant-
    Mom: Beth, you’re grounded along with Jo this month. I will take your phone privilege so you can’t spread any false rumours again. Some countries are still using that antimalarial drug, despite WHO’s warnings, and they’re doing just fine. What about Indonesia? It's just getting worse every day.
    *Jo and Beth proceeds to go to their room*
    Jo: I’m done with this household. I swear-
    Beth: Hush Jo, it’s alright. We’re going to move out for college next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Amy: Wow, so you’re telling me that you think mom and dad are dumber than you since their opinion is invalid?
      Beth: Amy, that’s not what she meant-
      Mom: Beth, you’re grounded along with Jo this month. I will take your phone privilege so you can’t spread any false rumours again. Some countries are still using that antimalarial drug, despite WHO’s warnings, and they’re doing just fine. What about Indonesia? It's just getting worse every day.
      *Jo and Beth proceeds to go to their room*

      Your version:
      *Jo and Beth proceeds to go to their room*

      My versions:
      *Jo and Beth proceed to their room*
      *Jo and Beth go to their room*

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  5. Mom & Dad: Kids! Dinner is ready, let's eat together!

    *Kids head to the dining room*

    Youngest child: When is this pandemic going to be over? I’m so tired of staying at home and doing nothing. I want to go hangout with my friends.

    Dad: It’s better if you stay home. It is still very dangerous out there, the virus is spreading really fast.

    Middle child: Yeah, honestly I’m tired of staying at home, not to mention hearing you and Mom fight almost everyday. It really gets frustrating.

    Mom: Where did you learn such disrespect to your parents?!

    Oldest child: Mom, you’re just in denial that you and Dad need some time off from each other. You guys haven’t had any privacy to yourselves ever since this pandemic. With dad not going to work and you always at home, you guys don’t have some alone time.

    Dad: I’m going to have to disagree with you there kid, I’m happy.

    Middle child: Dad, I’m not stupid, I hear you start up the car once in a while and go for a night drive. Doesn’t that show that you need some time alone?

    *Dad stays quiet*

    Youngest child: Me too, I stay up at night quite often these days and I hear you start up the card at least twice already.

    Mom: Huh, I didn’t know about that. Do you sneak out when I’m already asleep?

    *Dad stays quiet and looks down*

    Children: WELL! That’s our queue to leave, we’re just going to leave this discussion to you guys. Sorry for bringing it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Oldest child: Mom, you’re just in denial that you and Dad need some time off from each other. You guys haven’t had any privacy to yourselves ever since this pandemic. With dad not going to work and you always at home, you guys don’t have some alone time.
      Dad: I’m going to have to disagree with you there kid, I’m happy.

      Your version:
      Youngest child: Me too, I stay up at night quite often these days and I hear you start up the card at least twice already.

      My version:
      Youngest child: Me too. I stay up at night quite often these days and I’ve heard you start up the car at least twice already.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them

      Delete
  6. Mother (Lily)
    Father (Nate)
    Child 1 (Ayisha)
    Child 2 (Henry)
    Child 3 (Sheila)

    Ad Hominem (1)
    Straw Man (2)
    Burden of Proof (3)
    Appeal to Authority (4)
    Slippery Slope (5)
    No True Scotsman (6)
    Appeal to Popularity (7)
    False Dilemma (8)

    *One day in the Maple Household*
    Nate: Alright kids I am running errands for today. Does anyone want anything?
    Ayisha: Ooh let me get a vanilla ice cream.
    Henry: Oh, there she goes with her 6th ice cream of the week. You know I am still surprised you are still alive at this point judging your diet.
    Ayisha: What do you know about diet Mr. 95 kg? Maybe you’re the one who needs to be taught about diet. (1)
    Henry: Don’t blame me, blame it on genetics.
    Ayisha: Oh yeah when I am 150 kg, I will also blame it on genetics. (2)
    Henry: Whatever I am just living life to the fullest.
    Sheila: You mean to the fullest of your stomach.
    Henry: Okay to be fair most of my body fat is a good fat that helps me store the energy for later on.
    Ayisha: Where was that energy during your football match. You were wheezing out every 5 seconds. (3)
    Henry: Okay I have had enough of this; I am going to my room to exercise.
    Sheila: Video games are not exercising Henry.
    Henry: Whatever at least I have better things to do. (2)
    *While the father is out, the mother is cooking Soto for lunch*
    Lily: Who’s ready for some Soto?
    Sheila: Not this again mum. I don’t want to eat it. I would rather eat last night’s leftover or eat cereal. (8)
    Lily: well too bad, you still have to because if you don’t eat it, you will be malnourished. If that happens you won’t be able to become stronger. Who would want to pick a weak girl in their varsity team? (5)
    Sheila: I mean there is still better food than we could have had like steak. I see a lot of people eating steaks and they still can become strong. (7)
    Lily: Well maybe next time.
    Henry: Sheila, if you cannot finish it, I am more than happy to help.
    Ayisha: Oh, talk about going for a diet.
    Henry: Shush I need it for my 12,000-calorie intake for the day just like Michael Phelps. Soon I will become the fastest swimmer. (4)
    Ayisha: You see I am starting to see a correlation between IQ and obesity.
    Henry: Don’t you dare mock my IQ; I have the highest out of everyone in the school. Just because I am fat, it does not mean I am dumb.
    Ayisha: Well how would you explain your last math test. (3)
    Lily: OKAY THAT’S ENOUGH FROM BOTH OF YOU!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Lily: Who’s ready for some Soto?
      Sheila: Not this again mum. I don’t want to eat it. I would rather eat last night’s leftover or eat cereal.
      Lily: well too bad, you still have to because if you don’t eat it, you will be malnourished. If that happens you won’t be able to become stronger. Who would want to pick a weak girl in their varsity team?
      Sheila: I mean there is still better food than we could have had like steak. I see a lot of people eating steaks and they still can become strong.

      Your version:
      Henry: Whatever I am just living life to the fullest.
      Sheila: You mean to the fullest of your stomach.
      Henry: Okay to be fair most of my body fat is a good fat that helps me store the energy for later on.

      My version:
      Henry: Whatever, I am just living life to the fullest.
      Sheila: You mean to the fullest of your stomach.
      Henry: Okay, to be fair, most of my body fat is a good fat that helps me store the energy for later on.

      Observation: A good range of logical fallacies here, running from “1” to “8”.

      Delete
  7. One fine day, in a family room
    First Child: “ It sucks, how could the government ratify the omnibus law during this pandemic time?”
    Mother: “ True, how come, when the majority of Indonesian citizens are truly against it. This law is such a bad dream for workers like us, our salary will be decreased while our working time is increased. All the House of Representatives members are basically just a crook”
    Father: “ Hey, what are you saying? Faisal Basri, The senior economist said that more than 90 percent of the law is actually designed to stimulate domestic and foreign investment by removing bureaucratic inefficiencies. If there is a lot of foreign investment, it will be good, won’t it?. Can you guys just trust the government? “
    Second Child: “Hey Mom and My old Bro, have you actually read the 812 pages of the omnibus law document?
    First Child: “Do we need to?”
    Second Child: “Of course! How can you make such a conclusion if You haven’t read and understood the whole document?”
    Father: “They both were Capricorns, maybe that’s why they took what people in the social media said without checking the truth”
    Second Child: “Yeah, it’s either the citizens of Indonesia are not well-educated about this or the government don’t want the citizens to intervene”
    Mother: “Okay, let’s see who’s right?!”
    Third Child : (has just come home from his friend’s house and is directly approaching the family debate) “Mmm, such a heavy conversation for a little kiddo. I don’t know anything. I will just continue playing video games”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Father: “They both were Capricorns, maybe that’s why they took what people in the social media said without checking the truth”
      Second Child: “Yeah, it’s either the citizens of Indonesia are not well-educated about this or the government don’t want the citizens to intervene”
      Mother: “Okay, let’s see who’s right?!”

      Your version:
      This law is such a bad dream for workers like us, our salary will be decreased while our working time is increased. All the House of Representatives members are basically just a crook”

      My version:
      This law is such a nightmare for workers like us. Our salaries will be decreased while our working time will be increased. All the House of Representatives members are basically just crooks.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  8. Jane: Jake have you been to this new restaurant in town?
    Jake: No, but critics say that it’s pretty terrible.
    Jane: How would you know? You haven’t tried it yourself.
    Jake: Well then prove to me it isn’t.
    John: I’ve been there, it isn’t perfect but the food tastes pretty good.
    Jake: You don’t even know anything about cuisine, all you eat is fast food.
    John: All my friends agree with me, so your argument is invalid.
    Father: What’s going on here?
    Jane: Jake and John are arguing again.
    Father: If you guys don’t stop arguing, it’ll turn into a fistfight and then somebody is going to get hurt and get sent to hospital. We can’t afford any additional expenses right now, so you better stop it before I have to take out a mortgage.
    Mother: That’s a bit extreme, don’t you think?
    Father: The sooner these boys learn to respect each other, the better. Any son that causes trouble is no son of mine.
    John: Jake started it, he said that the food in the new restaurant is terrible.
    Jake: I didn’t say that.
    Father: Enough, you two will either get along with each other from now on or else I will disown both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Jane: Jake have you been to this new restaurant in town?
      Jake: No, but critics say that it’s pretty terrible.
      Jane: How would you know? You haven’t tried it yourself.
      Jake: Well then prove to me it isn’t.
      John: I’ve been there, it isn’t perfect but the food tastes pretty good.
      Jake: You don’t even know anything about cuisine, all you eat is fast food.
      John: All my friends agree with me, so your argument is invalid.

      Observation: “If you guys don’t stop arguing, it’ll turn into a fistfight and then somebody is going to get hurt and get sent to hospital.” This is a neat Slippery Slope logical fallacy.

      Delete
  9. Characters: Mother, father, big brother, Me (middle child), and little sister

    Mother: Good morning my lovely family members!
    Father: Shut up.
    Mother: What do you mean?
    Father: I’m asking you to stop talking. I can't stand how annoying you are, especially during this time of quarantine!
    Mother: Annoying?! I was just trying to lighten up the mood for the morning.
    Father: Lighten up the mood? Are you serious?
    Mother: Yes.
    Father: What do you know about lightening up the mood? you can't even keep your own husband delighted when he's stressed!
    Mother: This is not a good time to start a fight.
    Me: Guys, stop fighting over small things.
    Father: Difha, before even giving us advice, you should reflect on yourself and try to stop fighting with your brother over a stupid video game.
    Me: Okay.
    Mother: Don’t mind him honey, dad is just having a stressful morning thinking about his work.
    Me: It's fine mom, I just don't want you guys to fight, I hope dad can go out of the house for a while to get an emotional therapy.

    *30 minutes later*

    Brother: Hey dad, you want to play some video games with me?
    Dad: Not right now son, I’m leaving the house, to go and buy milk.
    Brother: Why? That's an unusual thing for you to do.
    Dad: I heard that your little brother wants me out of the house and never to return.
    Brother: What?! Why would he say that?

    *Brother going to my room*

    Brother: What's up loser, why'd you decide to pull out such mean words towards dad?
    Me: My bad, I just don't want mom and dad to fight, and I also think that emotional therapy would help dad to stay calm and prevent him from being stressed.
    Brother: But why did you want him to never return to this house again?
    Me: I did not say that brother, he's just being a straw man.
    Brother: I don't trust you, if dad leaves the house, nobody is going to take care of me, you, and your sister! Not only that, nobody will pay for the house bills and other financial things! We are all going to live in the streets and starve, and it's because of you!
    Sister: Look what we have here, two annoying brothers that seem to have another fight over a video game, even I feel like I'm more mature than you guys.
    Brother & Me: Were not fighting over a video game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Father: I’m asking you to stop talking. I can't stand how annoying you are, especially during this time of quarantine!
      Mother: Annoying?! I was just trying to lighten up the mood for the morning.
      Father: Lighten up the mood? Are you serious?
      Mother: Yes.
      Father: What do you know about lightening up the mood? you can't even keep your own husband delighted when he's stressed!
      Mother: This is not a good time to start a fight.

      Wow!

      Your version:
      Me: I did not say that brother, he's just being a straw man.

      My version:
      Me: I did not say that brother; it’s just a straw man.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  10. Mother: What do you guys want to eat for breakfast?
    Sibling 1: Bacon and eggs.. I mean, what else can you cook?
    Father: Hey! That’s rude!
    Sibling 2: Says the guy who screams at his children for 4 hours a day
    Mother: Honey its fine, so what do you guys want to eat? Do you want anything else other than bacon and eggs?
    Sibling 1: I mean if you try to cook something else, it probably won’t taste good which will make us not eat and get angry. Which will make than unhappy and let out his anger to his own children.
    Mother: Ouch.
    Father: Why are you bringing me up all of a sudden?
    Sibling 2: Well since you didn’t get the cooking book as mother have requested, she isn’t able to cook us anything other than bacon and eggs. Therefore it is your fault.
    Father: I did went out to look for it at the book store but it was just out of stock!
    Children: Liar!
    Sibling 3: Mother said you didn’t go to the bookstore but you decided to just hang out with your friends at the bar!
    Father: That’s not true! You guys don’t know that, you don’t have any proof of it.
    Mother: I say that we all should agree that its dad’s fault.
    Children: Agreed.
    Father: hey why are you on their side now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Father: Why are you bringing me up all of a sudden?
      Sibling 2: Well since you didn’t get the cooking book as mother have requested, she isn’t able to cook us anything other than bacon and eggs. Therefore it is your fault.
      Father: I did went out to look for it at the book store but it was just out of stock!
      Children: Liar!

      Your version:
      Sibling 2: Well since you didn’t get the cooking book as mother have requested, she isn’t able to cook us anything other than bacon and eggs. Therefore it is your fault.
      Father: I did went out to look for it at the book store but it was just out of stock!

      My version:
      Sibling 2: Well since you didn’t get the cook book as mother requested, she isn’t able to cook us anything other than bacon and eggs. Therefore, it is your fault.
      Father: I did go out to look for it at the book store but it was out of stock!

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  11. The three siblings: Sky, Moon, Sun

    Mom : Sky, could you please stop playing video games?

    Sky : No, researchers said that playing it can improve my English skills.

    Moon : Yes, but at the same time also thicken your glasses.

    Sky : Sis, if my English is poor, I wouldn't get the scholarship I'm having right now. So please, be grateful for my video games.

    Dad : Just let him be, guys. Anyway, where's Sun?

    Sun : Sunny is here! What's up, dad?

    Dad : Make sure to clean the bathtub after using it! It gets slippery, right mom?

    Mom : Yes, I almost forget. You are crazy. What if someone in this house falls because of you?

    Sun : Please don't exaggerate. So, do you want me to clean it up tomorrow or not at all?

    Sky : I'm sure you have no heart. You can easily clean it up now before someone falls!

    Moon : As if she wants to!

    Mom : Kids, stop bickering, alright! I do believe that everyone in this house needs the bathtub clean as soon as possible. So, Sun, you must clean it now.

    Moon : Mom, do you know that Sun also forgets to turns the AC off yesterday morning?

    Dad : Is that right, Sun?

    Sun : No! You didn't even see what I was doing. I didn't turn it off because I need to do some assignments on my laptop.

    Sky : From the look of it, it seems that Moon misunderstood Sun. Hmm, what a kind sibling.

    Dad : Cut the crap, you all know that this pandemic makes us stay longer at home. So, please make each other comfortable at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Sun : Please don't exaggerate. So, do you want me to clean it up tomorrow or not at all?
      Sky : I'm sure you have no heart. You can easily clean it up now before someone falls!
      Moon : As if she wants to!
      Mom : Kids, stop bickering, alright! I do believe that everyone in this house needs the bathtub clean as soon as possible. So, Sun, you must clean it now.
      Moon : Mom, do you know that Sun also forgets to turns the AC off yesterday morning?
      Dad : Is that right, Sun?

      I like the names they have given their children.

      Your version:
      Moon : Mom, do you know that Sun also forgets to turns the AC off yesterday morning?

      My version:
      Moon : Mom, do you know that Sun also forgot to turn the AC off yesterday morning?

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  12. Mom
    Dad
    Billie
    James

    Dad : (sigh) New day, the same EXACT routine, and I don’t see it’s going to be normal soon.
    Mom : Well, you can have a different routine if you just be productive! Look at Billie, she’s selling her preloved clothes.
    Dad : Oh hey?! I’m the only one who’s working here, and you tell me that I’m not productive?! (Straw Man)
    Mom : Yes if you’re so productive, why are you here watching Home Alone 3 while eating your popcorn? (Burden of Proof)
    Dad : Well, it’s a month and a half till Christmas, so we have to watch Home Alone right James? (Appeal to popularity)
    James : Umm, I don’t want to be involved.
    Billie : Dad you know what, research told us that watching one Christmas movie from November until Christmas will lower your depression level (appeal to authority)
    Dad : See, watching movie is good for our mental health.
    Mom : I don’t think so. If your dad watch one Christmas movie everyday until Christmas, he wont be working for the rest of the year. He will be very busy watching and forget his responsibilities, then what? We wont have any more money until Christmas and we will spent our days without electricity and water. It will definitely increase depression level in this family. (Slippery Slope)
    James : well well, see what the result of your bookworm Billie, is it hard to get some peace in this house? (Ad hominem)
    Billie : Sorry
    Dad : James! Watch your mouth!
    Dad : What’s wrong honey? Why are you so mad?
    Mom : Is there any of you remember what day is today?
    .
    .
    .
    Billie : Mom, I want to do my assignments I’ll go to my room. James, come lets do our assignments.
    James : I don’t have any!
    Billie : I’m sure you have one, your lazy ass just want to do it the night before your deadline. (Ad Hominem)
    Mom : Go upstairs both of you
    James : (roll eye) Thankyou sissy, what are you going to do now?
    Billie : It’s Mom’s birthday today, are you crazy? I bet dad forgot it.
    James : Says who? He bought a cake last night and put it in my room. Lets take it and surprise mom
    Billie : Oh wow, Leggo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      “If your dad watch one Christmas movie everyday until Christmas, he wont be working for the rest of the year. He will be very busy watching and forget his responsibilities, then what? We wont have any more money until Christmas and we will spent our days without electricity and water. It will definitely increase depression level in this family.”

      Your version:
      Mom : I don’t think so. If your dad watch one Christmas movie everyday until Christmas, he wont be working for the rest of the year. He will be very busy watching and forget his responsibilities, then what?

      My version:
      Mom : I don’t think so. If your dad watches one Christmas movie every day until Christmas, he won’t be working for the rest of the year. He will be very busy watching and forget his responsibilities. Then what?

      Your version:
      Mom : Is there any of you remember what day is today?
      Billie : Mom, I want to do my assignments I’ll go to my room. James, come lets do our assignments.

      My version:
      Mom : Do any of you remember what day it is today?
      Billie : Mom, I want to do my assignments. I’ll go to my room. James, come, let’s do our assignments.

      Delete
  13. Dad (D), Mom (M), Child A in college (A), Child B in high school(B), Child C middle school(C)
    C : “Mom, dad, I’m so bored right now, I can’t take it anymore!”
    M : “Please be patient, we can’t do anything right now.”
    D : “Exactly. Right now, the only choices we have is either die of COVID-19 or stay at home.”
    A : “But dad, I need to go to campus to take my books home so that I can study for my online exams.”
    B : “Dude, you won’t even open the book. I’ve never seen you study before.”
    A : “But it’s different. I’m in college now. What do you even know anyways? You’re still in high school.”
    M : “Stop quarrelling you two!”
    D : “No matter what you say, I will not let you go to campus!”
    C : “Dad please let A go to campus, I want to go with him, I’m really bored at home.”
    D : “No is no! Didn’t you see what the minister of health said? COVID-19 is a very infectious disease.”
    A : “But all my friends said that it’s all fake, it’s being set up by the government.”
    B : “Yes dad, it’s true, and all the three of us agree with that.”
    M : “If you say so, do you have any evidence to prove us wrong?”
    A : “I mean…”
    M : “Can you imagine what will happen if you actually go to campus? What if you get infected? Then after that you bring the disease to this house. Then we will all get infected. We will all get quarantined. But then since we can’t work, we can’t pay for the hospital expenses and treatment. Then finally, we will all die.”
    D : “Exactly! So just keep quiet and stay home. Be patient!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      D : “No is no! Didn’t you see what the minister of health said? COVID-19 is a very infectious disease.”
      A : “But all my friends said that it’s all fake, it’s being set up by the government.”
      B : “Yes dad, it’s true, and all the three of us agree with that.”
      M : “If you say so, do you have any evidence to prove us wrong?”
      A : “I mean…”

      Your version:
      M : “Stop quarrelling you two!”
      D : “No matter what you say, I will not let you go to campus!”
      C : “Dad please let A go to campus, I want to go with him, I’m really bored at home.”

      My version:
      M : “Stop quarrelling you two!”
      D : “No matter what you say, I will not let you go to the campus!”
      C : “Dad, please let A go to the campus. I want to go with him, I’m really bored at home.”

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them. For example: “Exactly. Right now, the only choices we have is either die of COVID-19 or stay at home,” is a False Dilemma!

      Delete
  14. It is the weekend, the family gathers to eat lunch.
    Mom: I don't cook for lunch today instead I bought food from our favorite restaurant with the delivery application.
    Dad: Finally, a decent food.
    Youngest Child: Dad, you're so mean, you should say sorry to mom!
    Mom: It's okay. He's always like that. Where are your brother and sister?
    Middle Child: I'm here. I just finished my essays. My head is killing me.
    Oldest Child: Finally, something to eat. I also just finished all of my assignments. I think we all need a break, a holiday.
    Dad: A holiday? I think we should remember that we are in the middle of a global pandemic.
    Mom: Yes, kiddos. I think it is dangerous to travel.
    Oldest Child: Maybe, we could have like a staycation on a villa somewhere for a couple of days.
    Youngest Child: I agree. Staying too long in this house feels very suffocating.
    Dad: We must be concerned about our family finances.
    Mom: Besides that, I have read much terrible news from my WhatsApp group.
    Middle Child: You know that most of the news in the WhatsApp group isn't true, right?
    Oldest Child: I know dad, but I feel very suffocated at home stuck with the same routine everyday. I don't even have enough space for myself.
    Mom: Don't we all? Please don't act like it only affects you.
    Middle Child: I think she is right, mom.
    Oldest Child: Right, of course, you never listen to me. I hope this pandemic will be over soon. I can't take this family anymore.
    Dad and Youngest Child: Me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Oldest Child: Maybe, we could have like a staycation on a villa somewhere for a couple of days.
      Youngest Child: I agree. Staying too long in this house feels very suffocating.
      Dad: We must be concerned about our family finances.
      Mom: Besides that, I have read much terrible news from my WhatsApp group.
      Middle Child: You know that most of the news in the WhatsApp group isn't true, right?

      Your version:
      Mom: I don't cook for lunch today instead I bought food from our favorite restaurant with the delivery application.

      My version:
      Mom: I haven’t cooked lunch today. Instead, I bought food from our favorite restaurant with the delivery application.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them.

      Delete
  15. The family starts to eat their dinner until mom decides to bring up a certain topic.

    Mom : I was thinking on what activities we should do as a family in quarantine. Since you guys practically live in your bedroom nowadays
    Middle child : Mom you do realize we have online classes to attend right?
    Youngest child : We know sis, but wouldn't it be great if we have occasional activities just the five of us?
    Dad : I have to agree with mom, staying indoor this much wouldn't do any good for your physical or mental health.
    Eldest child : Yeah right, nobody will have a decent mental heatlh stuck with you for almost a year, dad.
    Dad : What do you know about mental health, my friend sent a broadcast in whatsapp about mental health. And I found out that it's all about your mindset.
    Middle child : Are you kidding me?! I'm done with whatsapp broadcasts. You're the last person to talk about mental health. You can't even control your temper.
    Mom : Oh my god. Now you're yelling at your parents, whats next? Leaving the house??
    Eldest child : Oh I hope so.

    *silent*

    Youngest child : Can I eat on the sofa?
    Mom : Sure honey, make sure you don't spill the food.
    Dad : No way! nobody leaves the dining room.
    *middle and eldest child glancing eachother*
    Eldest child : Here we go again.
    Mom : You know, you never once spoiled our child. No wonder they hate you.
    Dad : So you want them to have nurture, love, no challenge in life, then fail in the future? Fine by me.
    Youngest child : Okayy I won't eat on the sofa, now can we eat like a normal family?

    The family continues to eat in silence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Dad : I have to agree with mom, staying indoor this much wouldn't do any good for your physical or mental health.
      Eldest child : Yeah right, nobody will have a decent mental heatlh stuck with you for almost a year, dad.
      Dad : What do you know about mental health, my friend sent a broadcast in whatsapp about mental health. And I found out that it's all about your mindset.
      Middle child : Are you kidding me?! I'm done with whatsapp broadcasts. You're the last person to talk about mental health. You can't even control your temper.

      Your version:
      Dad : I have to agree with mom, staying indoor this much wouldn't do any good for your physical or mental health.

      My version:
      Dad : I have to agree with mom. Staying indoors this much won't do any good for your physical or mental health.

      Observation: I don’t see any labels (i.e. which logical fallacies you were thinking of as you wrote the dialogue), so it’s difficult to discuss how you have used them. “Dad : So you want them to have nurture, love, no challenge in life, then fail in the future?” This is an interesting slippery slope argument: it goes from Don’t Eat On The Sofa to You Will Fail In Life very rapidly!

      Delete
  16. Mom
    Dad
    Albert
    Heather
    Cynthia

    A family of five was following social distancing protocols. The father was working in his office, while the mother was preparing dinner for their three children who were hanging out in their living room.

    Cynthia: I bet that unicorns are real.
    Heather: Are you still in kindergarten or something? Of course they aren’t real. (1)
    Cynthia: It is! I saw it on the telly yesterday!
    Albert: Mind your language Heather. Cynthia, not everything on the television truly exists. Unicorns are one of those things that are not real. However, we can make some unicorns right now by drawing them. What do you say to that?
    Cynthia: YAY UNICORNS!
    Heather: You are coddling her too much Albert. I bet that due to that, she will become spoiled rotten, which will then lead to her being unable to live independently in our cruel society. (5)
    Albert: What nonsense. How am I spoiling her with my actions?
    Heather: At first you told her that unicorns aren’t real but then you told her that she could make one. How is that not spoiling her with false ideas? (2)
    Albert: I think you need to rest Heather. I don’t understand why you’re throwing a tantrum at the moment, but I don’t feel like dealing with it.
    Heather: Screw off with your haughty act Albert. Just because you’re the oldest among us three, doesn’t mean that you’re better than us.
    Albert: Obviously because I am older than you, it means that I am more wise. It is my obligation to help Mom and Dad take care of you two.
    Heather: How are you more wise Albert? Prove it! (3)
    Albert: CAN YOU JUST SHU-
    Cynthia: W-why is Big Brother screaming? I thought we were supposed to draw some unicorns and then.. *burst into tears* Big Brother is being scary right now…
    Mom: *enters living room* Why is Cynthia crying? Goodness Albert, what’s with your expression, did you make her cry?
    Cynthia: No Mommy, Big Brother wanted to draw unicorns with Cynthia but Big Sister got mad. (2)
    Heather: CYNTHIA YOU LIAR!
    Albert: STOP IT HEATHER! I apologize for raising my voice Mom, I will retire to my room for the day to cool off.
    Dad: *enters living room* I was on a video conference with my client in the study and heard loud noises. What’s going on here?
    Mom: Just the kids having their usual spat I assume. Anyways dear, I heard that drinking coffee is actually good for our health. What do you reckon on that?
    Dad: Isn’t it actually unhealthy? I heard from my friend’s wife who’s a doctor that too much caffeine is bad for our sleeping habits. (4)
    Mom: Well my friend from my literature club agrees with me that it is healthy! She usually feels refreshed after drinking a cup or two. (7)
    Dad: That’s the burst of energy that caffeine gives. Too much caffeine is definitely not good.
    Heather: Coffee is that bitter drink right? Where it gives a hot sensation in the throat when you drink it?
    Dad: Did you make her some coffee honey? It’s not good for her health seeing that she’s still a teenager.
    Heather: Mom didn’t make me some but Cynthia told me that she was thirsty one night and grabbed a bottle filled with bitter, clear liquid on the table.
    Mom: Was that your vodka?
    Dad: I should probably check up on Cynthia and see if she’s alright.
    Mom: Dear… we’ll talk in private later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Heather: Mom didn’t make me some but Cynthia told me that she was thirsty one night and grabbed a bottle filled with bitter, clear liquid on the table.
      Mom: Was that your vodka?
      Dad: I should probably check up on Cynthia and see if she’s alright.

      Your version:
      Cynthia: I bet that unicorns are real.
      Heather: Are you still in kindergarten or something? Of course they aren’t real. (1)
      Cynthia: It is! I saw it on the telly yesterday!
      Albert: Mind your language Heather. Cynthia, not everything on the television truly exists. Unicorns are one of those things that are not real. However, we can make some unicorns right now by drawing them. What do you say to that?

      My version:
      Cynthia: I bet that unicorns are real.
      Heather: Are you still in kindergarten or something? Of course they aren’t real. (1)
      Cynthia: They are! I saw it on the telly yesterday!
      Albert: That doesn’t mean anything, Heather. Cynthia, not everything on the television truly exists. Unicorns are one of those things that are not real. However, we can make some unicorns right now by drawing them. What do you say to that?

      Observation: I like how the benefits (or otherwise) of drinking coffee is the main focus of the dialogue.

      Delete
  17. Father: Ilham
    Mother: Aulia
    Jan
    Alan
    Frans

    It was a calm happy day in the O’neal household, until it wasn’t

    Father : This Corona thing is not going anytime soon huh

    Jan : It sucks, I can’t see my friends, I can’t go to school, I can’t even go for a walk

    Alan : You guys are sheep, you know that right. There is no such thing as corona it’s all lies made up by the government to restrict our freedom

    Frans : And how do you know that?

    Alan : I would love to explain but you sheep won’t get it

    Father : You got an F on your science and politics, why would we even listen to you? (1)

    Mother : Alan is right you know, this guy on Facebook says that as well and it got a lot of likes and share. (4) (7)

    Frans : Today the government lies about Covid, next thing you know the Independence Day didn’t happen (5)

    Jan : It is a fact that Covid is killing people and there’s statistic to back it up.

    Mother : So, you’re saying that the government infect people and keeping track of it?! That’s even worse (2)

    Father : That’s not what Jan meant and you know it

    Alan : I’ve been told that it is all a scheme to make the global elites richer as well, even Trump said that as well. (7)

    Jan : That can’t be true, what’s your proof of that

    Mother : Well there’s no proof of that isn’t true as well, isn’t it?(3)

    Frans : Mum is insane, no sane person would believe that (6)

    Mother : What did you say again?!

    Huge commotion happened, now Frans is homeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Father : You got an F on your science and politics, why would we even listen to you? (1)
      Mother : Alan is right you know, this guy on Facebook says that as well and it got a lot of likes and share. (4) (7)
      Frans : Today the government lies about Covid, next thing you know the Independence Day didn’t happen (5)
      Jan : It is a fact that Covid is killing people and there’s statistic to back it up.
      Mother : So, you’re saying that the government infect people and keeping track of it?! That’s even worse (2)

      Your version:
      Jan : That can’t be true, what’s your proof of that
      Mother : Well there’s no proof of that isn’t true as well, isn’t it

      My version:
      Jan : That can’t be true. What’s your proof of that?
      Mother : Well, there’s no proof of that it isn’t true as well, is there?

      Observation: “Alan : I would love to explain but you sheep won’t get it.” This seems to me to be a weird kind of blend of Burden of Proof, Appeal to (one’s own) Authority (or intelligence?), and an Ad Hominem.

      Delete