Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

9 November 2020

Session 7 Class A - 9th November 2020

This weeks' writing assignment

Write a script for a single-location scene in a TV drama with five characters: a mother, father, three siblings. They are irritable having been couped up in their house for several weeks because of a pandemic. They are bickering about all sorts of typical family issues and interpersonal grievances. Include as many logical fallacies in the script as you can. Spend 30 minutes writing it. Submit at 12 noon tomorrow at the latest.

39 comments:

  1. Mom: “I told you that’s not how you flip the steak!”
    Clara: “Well, you should have taught me how to cook steak before giving me the spatula mom!”
    Mom: “Oh always with your excuses! You want me to teach you how to hold the spatula too, maybe even how to sprinkle salt properly as well? I should have known you would be this incompetent.”
    Clara: “What do you know about competence mom? You failed medical school and decided to just become a house wife!”
    Mom: *looks at daughter in rage* “WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY TO ME – “
    Dad: “Woah…. Everybody calm down.”
    Mom: “Honey, are we just going to let our daughter be disrespectful like that? I ought to slap her with my spat...”
    Dad: “Ok there’s no need for that, honey. You need to calm down and then we can sort this out.”
    Mom: “See, there you are being indecisive again. When there’s an issue like this, it’s clear cut, she’s being disrespectful, and needs to be taught a lesson. If you keep being all on-the-fence about stuff, you’ll get taken advantage of, then used, then stepped on, just like what your boss did to you!”
    Dad: “Ok no need to go that far” *whispers into wife’s ear* “I told you not to hint about work issues in front of our kids!”
    Jane: “Mom, I think everyone here agrees that you’re being a bit unreasonable right now.”
    Mom: “Oh is that so. Jack what do you think?”
    Jack: *looks up from playing on his phone* “Um I didn’t really pay attention, sorry.”
    Mom: “See that, Jack doesn’t even care. That just goes to show how much you kids still don’t know. You’re still children, so what would you know about being reasonable anyway?”
    Jane: “Wow Mom, first of all we are teens already so we know our fair amount. And second, lots of researchers say that teens already have the full comprehension of what is right or wrong, so we can easily tell that you are being very unreasonable right now.”
    Mom: “Oh so all teens are morally aligned now huh, how about that friend Justin Bieber, Jane? You think he’s a reasonable teen?” (F.Y.I this story was set in 2014, so people don’t get confused about Justin Bieber’s age.)
    Jane and Clara: “Oh he’s a celebrity that different!”
    Dad: “Ok that’s enough, everybody sit down at the dinner table now, and we’ll talk this out in a civil manner! You too Jack.”
    Mom: “Why should I. I’ll just be called either unreasonable, or boomer like last time! I’m going to bed; you all can figure out dinner by yourselves!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Jane: “Wow Mom, first of all we are teens already so we know our fair amount. And second, lots of researchers say that teens already have the full comprehension of what is right or wrong, so we can easily tell that you are being very unreasonable right now.”

      Mom: “Oh so all teens are morally aligned now huh, how about that friend Justin Bieber, Jane? You think he’s a reasonable teen?” (F.Y.I this story was set in 2014, so people don’t get confused about Justin Bieber’s age.)


      Your version:
      My version:
      I can’t find anything I want to grumble about.

      Observation: It would be interesting to know what logical fallacy you think Clara was using here: “What do you know about competence mom? You failed medical school and decided to just become a house wife!”

      Delete
  2. Mother: Mom
    Father: Dad
    Sibling 1: Clarissa (18 years old)
    Sibling 2: Diandra (16 years old)
    Sibling 3: Brahm (10 years old)

    (1) Ad Hominem
    (2) Straw Man
    (3) Burden of Proof
    (4) Appeal to Authority
    (5) Slippery Slope
    (6) No True Scotsman
    (7) Appeal to Popularity
    (8) False Dilemma

    *Another day at the Jameson’s residence*

    Dad: Aw c’mon Clarissa! Your teacher called again. You cheated on another test? Just because classes are online now doesn’t mean you can cheat! You know how I feel about cheating.

    Clarissa: Clearly you didn’t think cheating was that bad when you cheated on Mom. (1)

    Dad: Excuse me? That’s too far; we’ve agreed to move on from that! Your mother was extremely hard to deal with back in the day-

    Diandra: Oh, so it was Mom’s fault that you cheated on her? Wow Dad. (2)

    Dad: And what are you chiming in for? This has nothing to do with you.

    *Diandra storms off*

    Clarissa: How do you even expect us to just forgive and forget something like that? That’s our mother!

    Dad: Your mother was also fooling around with that stupid mailman anyways.

    Clarissa: Well do you have proof?

    Dad: Do you have proof that she didn’t?

    Clarissa: …

    Dad: My point exactly. Besides, I saw it with my own eyes! (3)

    Brahm: You know um, Dad, ugh, I remember watching this TV show on Starworld about couples and… well… the professor guy on the TV said that like 80% of the time a person in the relationship cheats, it's the guy not the girl Dad… (4)

    Dad: Oh for heaven’s sake Brahm you’re ten years old! What do you know about relationships? My goodness.

    *Brahm runs off as well in fright*

    *Mom comes in the living room*

    Mom: Well what’s all this fuss about?

    Clarissa: The usual Mom, Dad is always saying mean things even though he knows he’s wrong.

    Mom: Honey, if you keep on acting this way to our children, how are they supposed to feel comfortable with us as their parents? And if they don’t feel comfortable with us they won’t rely on us, and if they don’t rely on us they’ll rely on other people, and those other people may not know what’s best for them! Can’t you see? (5)

    Dad: Are you f***ing kidding me? I’m always the wrong one in every situation!

    Mom: A father wouldn’t swear in front of his children.

    Dad: Oh yeah? What about the thousands of fathers out there cursing and abusing their families?

    Clarissa: Then they are not true fathers. (6)

    *Clarissa walks out of the room while holding back tears*

    Mom: You see that? Every single one of our kids have had it with you and your nonsense, and I am this close to losing it as well. (7)

    Dad: Well what would you rather have? Would you rather I be straightforward and honest to our children or fill their lives up with white lies and become a fake father who sugarcoats everything? (8)

    Mom: That’s it. Talk to me again when your head is straight.

    *Mom exits the living room and leaves Dad alone*

    Dad: Damnit. Must be this quarantine. This whole pandemic is driving everyone mad! Oh well, time to go on a date with my mistress.

    *Dad happily jogs to the door and leaves the house*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Dad: Are you [REDACTED] kidding me? I’m always the wrong one in every situation!
      Mom: A father wouldn’t swear in front of his children.
      Dad: Oh yeah? What about the thousands of fathers out there cursing and abusing their families?
      Clarissa: Then they are not true fathers. (6)
      *Clarissa walks out of the room while holding back tears*

      Your version:
      Dad: Well what would you rather have? Would you rather I be straightforward and honest to our children or fill their lives up with white lies and become a fake father who sugarcoats everything?

      My version:
      Dad: Well, what would you rather have? Would you rather I be straightforward and honest with our children or fill their lives with white lies and become a fake father who sugarcoats everything? (A good example of a false dilemma and typical of how people use it in an everyday situation: you could almost miss it and think it is an entirely reasonable ‘choice’ to offer someone.

      Observation: “Mom: Honey, if you keep on acting this way to our children, how are they supposed to feel comfortable with us as their parents? And if they don’t feel comfortable with us they won’t rely on us, and if they don’t rely on us they’ll rely on other people, and those other people may not know what’s best for them! Can’t you see?” A fine example of a slippwery slope argument.

      Delete
  3. Mom: “Hey, wake up it’s already 9 o’clock. What will you be if you always be like this?”
    Dad: “Kids, let’s tidy up your room and help me clean the house.”
    Maya: “I’m going to clean my room later dad, I had already late to work.”
    Mom: “Oh my gosh, I thought you have been grown up to manage your time.”
    Maya: “At least I still have a job.”
    Dad: “Maya, get yourself ready and go to work. You still use your time to go there.”
    Ella: “Where is the food? I’m very hungry.”
    Mom: “The food is still being cooked Ella.”
    Ella: “Why it took so long to cook the food?”
    Dad: “Ella don’t be like that, it’s still better that we can have breakfast.”
    Ella: “Why we only have this for breakfast, is there any better food to eat?”
    Mom: “we cannot afford to buy neither meat nor salmon Ella. Your dad still hasn’t got a job because of the pandemic”
    Lucas: “Ella, just eat the food or I’ll take yours. Getting a job is not easy in this situation, a lot of people lost their job during this pandemic.”
    Dad: “Ella, if I get a job soon, I will buy any food you want.”
    Ella: “Why didn’t you get some work since then mom? If you had a job before, we would have more money to spend and save.”
    Mom: “If Mommy had work, no one will take care three of you.”
    Lucas: “Ella, why don’t you help dad to find some work rather than complaining? Let’s see can you find some job for dad or no.
    Ella: “Wait a minute, you said that I should help dad to find some work, why don’t you do that and what is your contribution?”
    Lucas: “Now I’ve been studying for my education also in my spare time I learn how to make some stuff that can be sold online and absolutely by not complaining already means a lot.”
    Dad: “Kids, I hope that you get good education and can support you to get higher income than me.”
    Mom: “Yes, so you can eat steak and seafood daily.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Ella: “Why didn’t you get some work since then mom? If you had a job before, we would have more money to spend and save.”
      Mom: “If Mommy had work, no one will take care three of you.”
      Lucas: “Ella, why don’t you help dad to find some work rather than complaining? Let’s see can you find some job for dad or no.
      Ella: “Wait a minute, you said that I should help dad to find some work, why don’t you do that and what is your contribution?”

      Your version:
      Mom: “The food is still being cooked Ella.”
      Ella: “Why it took so long to cook the food?”

      My version:
      Mom: “The food is still being cooked, Ella.”
      Ella: “Why is it taking so long to cook it?”

      Observation: I am not seeing many logical fallacies here. Perhaps you should have labelled them so that I could see what you were thinking when you wrote the dialogue.

      Delete

  4. Meg: when this whole quarantine thing over? I feel like I am going insane during this quarantine.
    Lois: no one knows for sure about that meg.
    Meg: Well, I just do not think that quarantine is important.
    Peter: so, you do not believe that Coronavirus is real (2)
    Brian: quarantine is important you cannot just hang around the streets when there is an invincible enemy that have the potential to threaten our lives (1)
    Meg: quarantine is tearing down the economy. A lot of people suffer because of this quarantine. I think wearing a mask, social distancing, wash your hand is enough to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
    Stewie: calm down guys!
    Lois: Well, I mean what meg said is true. World Bank said that COVID-19 quarantine will decrease the global economy to the lowest level. This is very bad for every country in the world (4)
    Meg: it is true right. Because of quarantine, many businesses went bankrupt. When businesses went bankrupt the level of unemployment will rise. If people do not have a job, in a long term they will have not enough money to pay for their essentials needs. (5)
    Brian: Well, I never thought about that before.
    Peter: but, it is what it is right. We have to follow what the government told us to do. There is nothing else we could do about it.
    Stewie: in my opinion, this whole coronavirus thing is a liberal hoax created by global elites to scared us. (3)
    Peter: well, I think you read too many conspiracy theories. (1)
    Brian: look at the data Stewie. There a lot of people have died because of this virus. (1)
    Stewie: I cannot trust the mainstream media, because from what I have read these media are being controlled by powerful people to deliver their agendas (3)
    Brian: you cannot just trust the information that you get out of nowhere. (1)
    Lois: well, I think it is okay if Stewie believed the conspiracy. But, we also need to be aware of the spread of hoax during this pandemic. We have to make sure that the information we read is true and verified information.
    Peter: Stewie, you have to realize that conspiracy theory is just a conspiracy. There is no evidence that it is true. (1)
    Stewie: Well, maybe I will change my mind.
    Brian: I mean, actually there many ways to stop the spread of coronavirus, but the government only think about lockdown and quarantine (8)
    Meg: I agree with that, even the United Nations and WHO are kind of late to prevent the spread of this virus. They should have taken care of this virus since it first emerged in China
    Stewie: China was the villain of this pandemic. The Chinese government thought that they can stop the coronavirus. While in fact, they just making things worse (6)
    Peter: WHO also did not do anything significant about this pandemic. They keep giving the information that scared the people rather than giving information that is important and educative for the people (6)
    Lois: guys, I think we have to understand that no one in this world expect that there will be a pandemic in 2020 (1)
    Stewie: But, at least the UN, WHO, or Chinese government should react faster when the corona emerged first time in Wuhan (1)
    Meg: it is already their responsibility to react when there is a disaster like a pandemic happens. (1)
    Brian: Well, it feels like that this topic is a never-ending discussion.
    Meg: because of this quarantine, I had to do an online class that I do not like. I easily disturbed with my phone and something else during the online class (7)
    Stewie: That is very true
    Brian: could not agree more
    Peter: it is better you still have a class, look at me! I have no job. The company does not give any certainty about my position. I was forced to accept the salary cut.
    Lois: well, you should be grateful. A lot of people out there actually have no income.
    Peter: Yeah, but I feel gutted by this condition.
    Meg: I think we all have the same problems.
    Brian: we are not used to be forced to stay at home for a long time.
    Lois: Well, I think for now we should be patient. I mean, there is nothing else we could do about it right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (1) Ad Hominem
      (2) Straw Man
      (3) Burden of Proof
      (4) Appeal to Authority
      (5) Slippery Slope
      (6) No True Scottsman
      (7) Appeal to Popularity
      (8) False Dilemma

      Delete
    2. Epic effort! Well done.

      Interesting part:

      Brian: quarantine is important you cannot just hang around the streets when there is an invincible enemy that have the potential to threaten our lives (1)
      Meg: quarantine is tearing down the economy. A lot of people suffer because of this quarantine. I think wearing a mask, social distancing, wash your hand is enough to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

      This has been a key debate all around the world in 2020. It would have been nice if Meg had used a logical fallacy in her reply too!

      Your version:
      “Peter: WHO also did not do anything significant about this pandemic. They keep giving the information that scared the people rather than giving information that is important and educative for the people.”

      My version:
      “Peter: The WHO also did not do anything significant about this pandemic. They kept giving information that scared the people rather than giving information that was important and educative for the people.”

      Observation:
      “Meg: it is already their responsibility to react when there is a disaster like a pandemic happens. (1)” I’m not sure I see an ad hominem here.

      Delete
  5. Mom : Hasna, stop playing your gadget! You’ve just woken up.
    Hasna : But why, Mom? I’ve been doing this for months and now you don’t allow me to do it?
    Mom : If you wake up and immediately play your gadget, you will forget to eat breakfast, take a bath, do your homework, and so on.
    Hasna : That’s only your thought!
    Dad : Hey, what’s happening here?
    Hasna : Mom is forbidding me from playing gadget.
    Dad : Honey, you know it’s weekend, let her play her gadget.
    Mom : But that’s not what I said. I said, “Stop playing your gadget! You’ve just woken up.”
    Shakira : Yes, Hasna lied. I heard Mom said that.
    Dad : Don’t be so hard on Hasna, she’s only six years old.
    Mom : But you can’t just let her play her gadget all the time. You either limit her gadget play time or she will be a lazy and highly tempered child.
    Radit : But it’s not always like that Mom. A research shows that a person becomes lazy not only because of playing gadget, but mostly because lack of motivation.
    Mom : Oh, come on Radit. Just because you’re a college student doesn’t mean you have to relate everything to a research.
    Dad : Okay, everyone calm down now. We can sort this out without shouting at each other.
    Mom : No, I’ve had enough. I’m going out for fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Dad : Hey, what’s happening here?
      Hasna : Mom is forbidding me from playing gadget.
      Dad : Honey, you know it’s weekend, let her play her gadget.
      Mom : But that’s not what I said. I said, “Stop playing your gadget! You’ve just woken up.”
      Shakira : Yes, Hasna lied. I heard Mom said that.

      Your version:
      Radit : But it’s not always like that Mom. A research shows that a person becomes lazy not only because of playing gadget, but mostly because lack of motivation.

      My version:
      Radit : But it’s not always like that Mom. There is research that shows that a person becomes lazy not only because of playing gadget, but mostly because lack of motivation.

      Observation:
      “Mom : If you wake up and immediately play your gadget, you will forget to eat breakfast, take a bath, do your homework, and so on.” This is an interesting slippery slop argument although there may be some truth to it!

      Delete
  6. Dewi: I swear if Jaya talks about his treehouse one more time, I'm going to sue someone.

    Jaya: Hold up, what'd you say?
    Anto: I agree with Dewi, you've talked about your treehouse a billion times.

    Jaya: Oh please, when was the last time I talked about it?

    Anto: Bro, are you serious..?

    Dewi: Leave him be, he's being an unreasonable idiot.

    Mum: Please don't talk to your brother like that, my love.

    Dewi: But mama, it's true. He's being so stupid.

    Dad: Speaking of stupid, why did we build that fish pond again?

    Anto: *raises eyebrows* Papa, are you serious?

    Jaya: Papa, YOU were the one who thought that making a pond ALONE would be a good idea. Now there are mosquitos everywhere.

    Dewi: Aight, that's it. This family is beyond insane..., except for mama, she's the only sane person here.

    Jaya: Says the person wearing bunny ears...

    Anto: Uuu, someone's in a bad mood.

    Dad: I'm hungry- shall we have a barbeque?

    Mum: Ooo, YES! That's a very FANTASTIC idea, am I right, my little ducklings? Family bonding time, what more could we want?

    Jaya: I'd like to exclude myself from this conversation. I do not want to witness WW3 happening...

    Dewi: Jaya, you. Are. The. MOST. Dramatic. Person. EVER.

    Dad: Why are you being so negative, Jaya?

    Jaya: Why are you blaming me? Dewi was such a sour lemon during this whole time. Why isn't she in trouble?

    Anto: You know what- food sounds nice. Let's go, let's have this BBQ. God knows our family needs to have a little sanity at this time.

    Mum: Now that's the spirit! Pandemic or not, we're going to have a good time. We're at our holiday house; it's a beautiful day, the sun is shining-

    Jaya: Okay, mama. I'm sorry...

    Dad: BBQ time! Get in the kitchen everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:
      Dad: Speaking of stupid, why did we build that fish pond again?
      Anto: *raises eyebrows* Papa, are you serious?
      Jaya: Papa, YOU were the one who thought that making a pond ALONE would be a good idea. Now there are mosquitos everywhere.

      Your version:
      Dewi: Aight, that's it. This family is beyond insane..., except for mama, she's the only sane person here.

      My version:
      Dewi: Alright, that's it. This family is beyond insane; except for mama. She's the only sane person here.

      Observation: It would have been interesting if you’d labelled all the logical fallacies because I am having difficulty spotting them.

      Delete
  7. Mom : Guys, what should we order for dinner today? I’m too lazy to cook.
    Dad : I’m fine with any.
    Debby : Can we order chinese?
    Leon : Seriously, again? Why are you so obsessed with chinese food? Let’s just order thai food, mom.
    Alex : Why do you both have to be so fancy? Can’t we just order fried chicken and fries?
    Dad : Debby, we literally just ate chinese two days ago. I think fried chicken and fries is a good idea.
    Leon : What? Dad, are you kidding me? Just imagine the amount of calories there is in one fried chicken. We’d become bloated, me and mom’s skin would have to endure those nasty breakouts, and do you know that eating too much fast food results in heart diseases?
    Mom : Leon, stop being so dramatic.
    Alex : Yeah, we’re not going to die just from eating a chicken and a pack of fries.
    Debby : I think I agree with Leon, I read a book written by a professional nutritionist about living a healthy lifestyle and deep fried meals really aren’t good for our body.
    Dad : Debby, since when does a teenager your age read books about healthy lifestyle? Aren’t you supposed to be reading those romance novels?
    Debby : You did not just stereotype what a teenager must read, dad.
    Dad : There you go, uptight and angsty, just like any other teenanger.
    Mom : Alright, everybody relax. Can we just agree on what to order for dinner? It’s either we decide or not eat anything at all.
    Leon : Oh my god, nobody ever listens to me.
    Dad : Leon, stop acting like Debby.
    Alex : So chicken and fries, everybody?
    All together : Yes, Alex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Leon : What? Dad, are you kidding me? Just imagine the amount of calories there is in one fried chicken. We’d become bloated, me and mom’s skin would have to endure those nasty breakouts, and do you know that eating too much fast food results in heart diseases?
      Mom : Leon, stop being so dramatic.

      What “Mom” could have said is: “Leon, enough with the slippery slope argument!”

      Your version:
      Just imagine the amount of calories there is in one fried chicken.

      My version:
      Just imagine the amount of calories there are in one fried chicken.

      Observation:
      “Mom : Alright, everybody relax. Can we just agree on what to order for dinner? It’s either we decide or not eat anything at all.” Presumably, this is intended to be a false dilemma. However, it is probably a true choice: if they do not decide on what to eat, then they literally won’t order anything and therefore won’t eat. This, on the other hand, is a false dilemma: “Look, we either eat Chinese or we won’t end up eating anything.”

      Delete
  8. Character: Mom, Dad, Michael (10), James (10), Sophia (14)

    Sophia: Well look who’s playing their phone instead of eating their meals.

    Dad: Come on boys, we’re having a dinner here not a tournament!

    James: 3 more minutes dad!

    Mom: Alright that’s it I’m taking the phone away from you guys.

    Michael: Oh man, we nearly won the game.

    Dad: This is a Christmas dinner! you were supposed to sit down and have a quality time with us not with your games.

    Mom: yeah besides, it doesn’t give you any good what so ever.

    James: what are you talking about mom? What do you know about video games?

    Mom: there is one thing for sure. The more you play it the worse the scores you’re getting for your tests.

    Michael: Do you have any prove? That’s right, I don’t think so.

    Mom: Yes, I do, I saw your test papers with some correction tape covering the scores.

    James: Darn it.

    Sophia: Dad, I heard Michael said he’s going to buy another video game this Christmas.

    Sophia: He thinks that he’ll be “smarter” the more he plays.

    James: You have a very big mouth huh?

    Michael: In our defence, some research showed that playing games improves your reflex, it also enhances your memory and many more.

    Sophia: Bla bla bla. Anyway, me, mom and dad did a discussion that would change you guys for the greater good. Since there are three of us, any resistance would be pointless.

    Dad: That’s right, either both of you delete your games now or say your final good bye to your phones.

    Michael: Sheesh it doesn’t have to end like this you know.

    James: Agreed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Sophia: Bla bla bla. Anyway, me, mom and dad did a discussion that would change you guys for the greater good. Since there are three of us, any resistance would be pointless.
      Dad: That’s right, either both of you delete your games now or say your final good bye to your phones.
      Michael: Sheesh it doesn’t have to end like this you know.

      Your version:
      James: 3 more minutes dad!
      Mom: Alright that’s it I’m taking the phone away from you guys.
      Michael: Oh man, we nearly won the game.
      Dad: This is a Christmas dinner! you were supposed to sit down and have a quality time with us not with your games.
      Mom: yeah besides, it doesn’t give you any good what so ever.

      My version:
      James: Three more minutes dad!
      Mom: Alright, that’s it. I’m taking the phone away from you guys.
      Michael: Oh man, we have nearly won the game.
      Dad: This is a Christmas dinner! You were supposed to sit down and have quality time with us not with your games.
      Mom: Yeah besides, it doesn’t give you any good whatsoever.

      Observation: The fact that Sophia was involved in a discussion with her parents about banning her younger brothers’ games is intersting!

      Delete
  9. Mother: Last night I found a cigarette on the floor. Whose is it?
    Father: Definitely not me, I quit years ago. It’s got to be between Ari or Andre.
    Ari: Hundred percent Andre. I mean look at him, he’s like a punk. What else are you hoping to see from him?
    Mother: Calm down, stop calling your brother a punk!
    Andre: Well it is me, mom. But what’s wrong with that?
    Mother: Andre grow up, it’s bad for your health don’t you think? First you started with smoking, then you moved to alcohol, and at the end there is a high possibility you’ll addicted to drugs. Quit now!
    Andre: Mom hold on a second, are you calling me a drug addict? That is not right!
    Father: Andre, no one’s calling a drug addict. She’s talking about your future, what you’ll become if you keep on doing this.
    Aria: Wait, I disagree mom. I mean how is he supposed to quit just in a count of seconds? According to the cigarette rehab institutions, it minimally took around six months before somebody’s totally clean.
    Andre: Yea right, thank you my lovely sister.
    Mother: What do you mean? Everybody can!
    Father: Listen to me, your mom is right. Me, mom, and Ari, we all concluded that you have to quit now as it is a gate to drugs. Stop adding problems, because if you’re already become an addict, you’ll distress all of us.
    Andre: No it is not that dangerous, people are just being too hyperbolic.
    Mother: Dad’s right. You’re a member of this family, how could you possibly ignore the impact to our family? Think about it!
    Ari: Is he? From what I see, he is just a tenant for a room in this house.
    Andre: What a joke, let’s just go back to mom’s statement. How can you claimed that someone is able to quit smoking in an instant?
    Mother: You can. There is nothing to proof.
    Andre: So you forced me to do it, but you can’t give me any evidence or proof? No doubt about it, nobody can mom. It is that simple.
    Ari: Brother, you don’t need any evidence. Just do it, get rid of your awful behavior and stop costing us money for your hospital fee because of it.
    Andre: I’ll try my best, that’s all I can do. One day, I promise.
    Mother: Listen, it would be much better if you do it now.
    Ariana: Oh God, here we go again.
    Father: Okay enough, I’m done with this. Go back to your room, all of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Mother: Andre grow up, it’s bad for your health don’t you think? First you started with smoking, then you moved to alcohol, and at the end there is a high possibility you’ll addicted to drugs. Quit now!
      Andre: Mom hold on a second, are you calling me a drug addict? That is not right!

      Yes, it’s a slippery slope argument!

      Your version:
      Mother: You can. There is nothing to proof.

      My version:
      Mother: You can. There is nothing to prove.

      Or

      Mother: You can. There is no proof.

      Observation: I stopped smoking (and I was a heavy smoker… 20-30 cigarettes a day) and I did it “instantly” and I went ‘cold turkey’. It was very hard. In fact, it was such a bad experience, one of the reasons I never started again was the fact that I never wanted to go through anything like that again.

      Delete
  10. Michael : Hey Mom, do you know when this horrible pandemic will over?
    Mom : I don’t know when this pandemic will over son, let’s hope that this pandemic will over soon
    Michael : Yeah, I know, but why we’re not allow to go outside and hang out with our friend?
    Jack : Yes, mom why we should stay in the house for this long? Isn’t it already safe?
    Mom : It is not yet safe right now as the positive case is still rising. Why we should stay at house is because we don’t want to get infected by this virus and also, we can help the government to reduce the spread of the virus in our country.
    Dad : Yes, your mom is correct. We have to stay in our house because the virus can spread easily through air and droplets. We have to minimize contact with other people as we don’t know maybe people that we met is a carrier of this virus.
    Angel : Dad, but there are still many people do their activity outside and they’re not get infected.
    Dad : It is true that there are many people who have already do their normal activity outside, during their activity they always implement the safety protocol like wearing a mask and physical distancing.
    Michael : So, if we wear mask and do physical distancing we can go outside and hang out with our friends?
    Jack : Yes, I agree with Michael. If we implement the safety protocol like what you said, then there is no point on keeping us to go outside any longer.
    Mom : It is correct that the government advise us to implement the safety protocol if we have an activity outside, but it doesn’t mean that we can freely go outside. The government said that the best for us is to stay at home because we have to prevent the bigger spread of the virus and not making a new spreading cluster.
    Angel : But please mom, we’re already sick of always staying at home and we can’t go outside and play with our friends. We’re tired of waiting without any clarity about when this will over.
    Jack : Dad, I have once saw many people doing their activity outside but they’re not implementing the safety protocol?
    Dad : Yes, I’ve seen it myself, but as a good citizen we have to obey the government to always implement the safety protocol whenever we are outside.
    Mom : I know that it must be hard for you guys to stay at home for this long that you can’t meet and play with your friends, but please be patient for a little more time, if we obey and do what the government said, I believe that we can get out of this bad situation soon. Just ignore other people that statement that have not proved yet and people who do not implement the safety protocol. Just be patient and pray to god that this pandemic will over soon, and we can do our normal activity like before the pandemic happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Dad : It is true that there are many people who have already do their normal activity outside, during their activity they always implement the safety protocol like wearing a mask and physical distancing.
      Michael : So, if we wear mask and do physical distancing we can go outside and hang out with our friends?
      Jack : Yes, I agree with Michael. If we implement the safety protocol like what you said, then there is no point on keeping us to go outside any longer.

      Your version:
      Michael : Hey Mom, do you know when this horrible pandemic will over?
      Mom : I don’t know when this pandemic will over son, let’s hope that this pandemic will over soon
      Michael : Yeah, I know, but why we’re not allow to go outside and hang out with our friend?

      My version:
      Michael : Hey Mom, do you know when this horrible pandemic will be over?
      Mom : I don’t know when it will be over, son. Let’s hope that it will be soon.
      Michael : Yeah, I know, but why aren’t we not allowed to go outside and hang out with our friends?

      Observation:

      Mom : It is not yet safe right now as the positive case is still rising. Why we should stay at house is because we don’t want to get infected by this virus and also, we can help the government to reduce the spread of the virus in our country.

      Dad : Yes, your mom is correct. We have to stay in our house because the virus can spread easily through air and droplets. We have to minimize contact with other people as we don’t know maybe people that we met is a carrier of this virus.

      What are the logical fallacies here?

      Delete
  11. Mother: Sophia! Would you please just join your extra english lessons?

    Sophia: I don't need them. It’s just a waste of my time.

    Mother: Is that so? Because if you don't take your english lessons you’ll fail your class, if you don't pass third grade you’re not going to do good in middle school, which means you won’t be able to get into a good high school and if that happens, you’re not going to get a scholarship for college. (5)

    Dad: Oh come on, just calm down. She’s in third grade. It's way too soon for us to be talking about college.

    Ciara: Oh for the love of god Kai, if you want natural air then open the windows. If you want to turn on the AC then close them. Don’t open the windows and also turn on the AC. Just make up your mind.

    Kai: Oh you’re telling me to make up my mind? You’ve been dating on again and off again with the same guy for past three years! Hell, its going to be four this year. Why don’t you make up your mind? (1)

    Mom: To be honest, they remind me a lot of Ross and Rachel.

    Kai: Yeah, why make a proper relationship when you can make 10 seasons.

    Dad: I read one of the articles published by the American Psychological Association and they would definitely say that Ciara has commitment issues. (4)

    Ciara: Don't forget they'll also say you have anger issues.

    Dad: What did you just say to me?!

    Sophia: I talk about you to my friends and most if not all of them would agree that you have issues. (7)

    Ciara: Sophia you’re in third grade, why are you even talking about me and my love life?

    Mom: Oh would you all just leave Ciara alone. I’m sure she has enough stress with getting her degree and doing her internship.

    Kai: Is this not something worth talking about? I mean, think about it. If Ciara stays with this guy, she’ll have a great future. If she breaks up with him, we all know she’s gonna be miserable for at least a few years. (8)

    Ciara: That is false in so many ways. Regardless of whether or not I’m with someone, I’ll still have a bright future ahead of me.

    Mom and Dad: Amen to that!

    Sophia: I hope so.

    Kai: Anyone willing to bet on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Mother: Is that so? Because if you don't take your english lessons you’ll fail your class, if you don't pass third grade you’re not going to do good in middle school, which means you won’t be able to get into a good high school and if that happens, you’re not going to get a scholarship for college. (Slippery Slope)

      Your version:
      Ciara: Oh for the love of god Kai, if you want natural air then open the windows. If you want to turn on the AC then close them.

      My version:
      Ciara: Oh for the love of God, Kai! If you want fresh air, then open the windows. If you want to turn on the AC, then close them.

      Observation: Kai: “Oh you’re telling me to make up my mind? You’ve been dating on again and off again with the same guy for past three years! Hell, its going to be four this year. Why don’t you make up your mind?” It’d be interesting to hear why exactly you think this is an example of an ad hominem.

      Delete
  12. Dad: Ca, it’s already past midnight.
    Ica: Yes, I know. Can’t you see that I’m still doing my assignment?
    Mom: Dad is just telling you that it’s already late Ca. Why you’re always being so rude to Mom and Dad?
    Ica: Ugh, I didn’t mean to.
    Mom: Then, can you explain what’s that “ugh” expression for?
    Sasa: Let her be mom. She only cares about her friends and her “GREAT” boyfriend.
    Dad: Sa…
    Sasa: What’s wrong with it? I know I’m right.
    Ica: Fine, I’m sorry.
    Ozi: You guys are so loud. What’s the matter?
    Dad: Nothing Zi, just go back to your room okay?
    Ozi: Wait. Ka ica, you’ve been doing that assignment since yesterday morning right?
    Ica: Ozi, sorry for interrupting your sleep. *blinking her left eye
    Ozi: Why are you blinking your left eye so much? Does it feel itchy?
    Sasa: Oops, I can sense that someone’s procrastinating.
    Mom: Caaaa, oh my God!
    Dad: I’ve been telling you for so many times Ca, always put your school tasks as your first priority. When you’re done, you are free to do anything you want.
    Mom: You’re watching Korean dramas all day long. I thought you’ve done all your assignments Ca.
    Dad: You keep saying that you’re overwhelmed by the amount of the school assignments, but I think the main reason is that you keep procrastinating.
    Ica: No! It’s true that I have a lot of work to do.
    Dad: Alright. Then?
    Ozi: I think it’ll better if I go back to my room. Bye guys!
    Sasa: Good luck Ca. Have a nice sleep Mom, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Dad: I’ve been telling you for so many times Ca, always put your school tasks as your first priority. When you’re done, you are free to do anything you want.
      Mom: You’re watching Korean dramas all day long. I thought you’ve done all your assignments Ca.
      Dad: You keep saying that you’re overwhelmed by the amount of the school assignments, but I think the main reason is that you keep procrastinating.

      Your version:
      Ozi: Why are you blinking your left eye so much? Does it feel itchy?

      My version:
      Ozi: Why is your left eye blinking so much? Does it feel itchy?

      Question: “Dad: You keep saying that you’re overwhelmed by the amount of the school assignments, but I think the main reason is that you keep procrastinating.” Is there a logical fallacy here?

      Delete
  13. Aileen Sanders (10 years old)
    James Sanders (12 years old)
    Sarah Sanders (22 years old)
    Mr. Phil Sanders (43 years old)
    Mrs. Jessica Sanders (39 years old)

    Jessica : “ James wake up, it’s already 6.30 go brush your teeth and go to the online class!”
    James: “ Oh my gosh, same thing everyday I’m just sick of it!”
    Phil : “ I agree with you son, the government must do something about this stupid virus.”
    Jessica: “Don’t talk to your kids like that, the government is trying the best for us.”
    Phil : “Are you kidding me?! I just got fired from my job at the factory, they said that they have to lay off some workers due to the pandemic.”
    Sarah : “No shit dad, I just got my internship but they decide to let me go because of the pandemic.”
    Jessica : “ Hey! No swearing in the Sander’s house, remember that!”
    Sarah : “ Yeah whatever mom.”
    Jessica : “ Kids, don’t hear what you’re father is saying. The government is doing what’s best for all of us”
    Phil “Best on what now? The government are trying to reap our job apart and trying to change the way we live. Like right now only the rich ones that thrive in this pandemic, because they’re selling online stuffs.”
    James : “ Yeah I used all of dad’s credit card to subscribe to Netflix.”
    Phil: “ Say what now?”
    Aileen: “ Oh my God James do you just spill that out?”
    James: “ Sarah use your credit card too dad, she bought some expensive designer makeup.”
    Aileen : “ Oh my God…”
    Jessica : “ Enough of that, now James go to your class, Sarah play with your little sister.”
    Phil: “ Hold on now, James do you got some subsidies from the government and does the school lower your tuition fee?”
    James : “ No, I don’t think so.”
    Phil : “ This is what I’ve been trying to tell you jess, the government is playing with us!”
    Jessica : “ Ah shut up Phil, just try to look for another job”
    Aileen: “ You don’t have to be so rude mom.”
    Jessica : “ Whatever, I’d rather hear what the president have to say about all of this, it’s Monday morning, the wise president might say something today.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Phil: “Hold on now, James do you got some subsidies from the government and does the school lower your tuition fee?”
      James : “No, I don’t think so.”
      Phil : “This is what I’ve been trying to tell you jess, the government is playing with us!”

      Your version:
      Aileen: “ Oh my God James do you just spill that out?”
      James: “ Sarah use your credit card too dad, she bought some expensive designer makeup.”

      My version:
      Aileen: “Oh my God, James! Did you just spill that out?”
      James: “Sarah used your credit card too, dad. She bought some expensive designer makeup.”

      Observation: It would have been helpful if you’d labelled your logical fallacies.

      Delete
  14. Jen: You could never understand, Mom, you’re too old! Just leave me alone!

    Mom: Just because I’m old now doesn’t mean I don’t know how it feels! I was once a teenager too, you know! But you can’t keep buying clothes like money grows on trees, we’re in the middle of a pan-

    *Jen slams the door in Mom’s face*

    Mom: [groans in frustration] I’ve had it up to here with Jen.

    Alex: I agree with Jen. No offence, Mom, but you couldn’t possibly understand our dilemma.

    Mom: There’s no need to buy new clothes! You guys already have more than enough clothes, what is the need to buy more? And for God’s sake, we can’t even go out! There is no use for clothes now!

    Alex: Yeah but Jen’s in university now, she wants to impress people in her school.

    Mike: Mom, I also really want new games to play on my PS4.

    Mom: First it’s Jen with her clothes, now you with your games? While we’re at it, let’s add a house to the shopping list because we’re sick of this one! What do you think, Alex, what else should we spend our money?

    Dad: [snickers] I need a new pair of sneakers, mine aren’t in style anymore.

    Mom: I’m done trying to explain myself. Kids, go bother your dad instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Jen: You could never understand, Mom, you’re too old! Just leave me alone!
      Mom: Just because I’m old now doesn’t mean I don’t know how it feels! I was once a teenager too, you know! But you can’t keep buying clothes like money grows on trees, we’re in the middle of a pan-
      *Jen slams the door in Mom’s face*

      Your version:
      My version:
      I can’t find anything I want to grumble about.

      Observation: “Mom: First it’s Jen with her clothes, now you with your games? While we’re at it, let’s add a house to the shopping list because we’re sick of this one! What do you think, Alex, what else should we spend our money?” What logical fallacy do you think is in play here?

      Delete
  15. Mom
    Dad
    Tom (oldest brother, in college)
    Jess (middle child, high school)
    Lorraine (youngest child, primary school)

    Mom: "How's all the test results?
    Jess: "I did well mom I got 90 on my biology test."
    Lorraine: "umm the result will be announced tomorrow mom"
    Mom: "how about you Tom?"
    Tom: "I don't want to talk about it."
    Mom: "why? There's no need to hide."
    Tom: "yes there is, it's you who won't understand my test results."
    Mom: "of course I wont, if you don't tell me."
    Tom: "I got 65 on my accounting."
    Mom: "what?! You didn't study did you?!"
    Tom: "what? No! I did study and it was hard for me!".
    Mom: "you didn't study hard enough! Look at your sister she got a good grades!"
    Tom: "well it isn't my fault that in high school you forced me into science class but then in college you forced me to enroll myself into a accounting class!"
    Mom: "it was for your own good! To develop your rational thinking skill in science class! You suppose to set a good example towards your sisters!"
    Tom: "why can you just give motivation and so I have the motives to study hard again! YOUR THE WORST".
    **Tom slams walkt out to his room**
    Dad: "what's the problem ay?!"
    Mom: "Tom got 65 in his accounting test, it's a shame!"
    Jess: "But mom, Tom is a new student and we are facing a pandemic."
    Lorraine: "Yes! Online class, I hate online class!"
    Mom: "Young lady this is your brother business, not yours!"
    Lorraine: "He's our brother, ofcourse it is our business mom, we love him and care."
    Dad: "Jess is right love, it's online class, it's must've been hard for Tom to adapt with the accounting materials since it's been done virtually, give him some time alright."
    Mom: " He's tuition is expensive! Time is money! Time is precious! 35 million and his accounting results is 65?!"
    Dad: "His growth is also precious, I'm proud the fact that he managed to enter a prestigious university, let him settle."
    Lorraine: "Yes! You can't have things instant mom! If you want to see Tom have a better result, than have patience and believe in him, he's already upset with the results".
    Jess: "We believe that Tom is a good role model too mom, all Tom need is now hope and strength for you mom, please don't give up on Tom."
    Dad: "I'm glad that he try his best, it's better than doing nothing."
    Mom: "This pandemic stressed me out that it effects Tom, love I didn't mean to hurt him."
    Dad: "I know, this pandemic is hard but we can make it through, together. How about you and my two lovely pumpkins go ahead and cheer Tom up, I'll buy pizza and pasta to lighten things up".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Lorraine: "Yes! You can't have things instant mom! If you want to see Tom have a better result, than have patience and believe in him, he's already upset with the results".
      Jess: "We believe that Tom is a good role model too mom, all Tom need is now hope and strength for you mom, please don't give up on Tom."
      Dad: "I'm glad that he try his best, it's better than doing nothing."

      Your version:
      Mom: " He's tuition is expensive! Time is money! Time is precious! 35 million and his accounting results is 65?!"

      My version:
      Mom: "His tuition is expensive! Time is money! Time is precious! Thirty-five million rupiah and his accounting result is 65?!"

      Observation: It would have been helpful if you’d labelled your logical fallacies.

      Delete

  16. INT. LIVING ROOM - MORNING
    The Family has been couped up in their house for a couple of weeks now, thanks to the newly found virus that has caused a worldwide pandemic. You can see the disappointment and boredom on their faces. The father, George, is reading the paper. The Mother, Ellen, is sitting beside George, scrolling through her smartphone looking awfully confused. They have three kids; George Jr, Tom, and Ellie. George Jr is the oldest of the bunch, he is 16, and like any other 16 years old, he is the rebel of the family. Ellie is the middle child. She is smart, but her demeanor started to resemble that of George Jr’s. Tom is the youngest, and is the complete opposite of George Jr, he is the straight A kid.

    Tom: “Dad, can you take me to Dan’s this afternoon, I’m supposed to do my group work today.”

    Dad: (while reading the paper) “Sure bud.”

    George Jr: (looks a little pissed) “Wow, wait a minute…. why does he get to go out? Why don’t I get to go out, why don’t Ellie get to go out?”

    Ellie: “Yeah mom, why don’t I get to go out?

    Mom: “Well, if I let you both out once, then you would go out again and again, and the next thing I know, you’re crashing at a friends’ place, and in this day and age, that is a complete no no”

    George Jr: “what do you know about me going out, you are never home anyways.”

    Mom: (her face turns red) “For your information, I was working to provide food on the table for you, tell him George!”

    Dad: (still reading the paper) “that’s right kids, your mom works really hard for you.”

    Ellie: “come on, just let me go out, just once.”

    Mom: (points to Ellie) “Listen young lady! it’s either staying here or staying out FOREVER!”

    Ellie: “Guess somebody is cranky today.”

    Dad: (giving the paper to George Jr and Ellie) “take a look at that kids! The minister of health is saying that you all should stay home or you’re going to catch the virus! Not my words, the words of the minister of health.”

    George Jr: “Well, a lot of my friends are going out and they seemed fine, they all said it is perfectly safe out there.”

    Mom: “George, could you open Youtube for me, I can seem to find it.”

    George Jr: (raises his voice) “why should I listen to you! You can’t even load Youtube on your on phone!”

    Dad: (raises his voice) “That’s enough junior! Apologize to your mother!”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      George Jr: (looks a little pissed) “Wow, wait a minute…. why does he get to go out? Why don’t I get to go out, why don’t Ellie get to go out?”
      Ellie: “Yeah mom, why don’t I get to go out?
      Mom: “Well, if I let you both out once, then you would go out again and again, and the next thing I know, you’re crashing at a friends’ place, and in this day and age, that is a complete no no”

      Your version:
      George Jr: “Well, a lot of my friends are going out and they seemed fine, they all said it is perfectly safe out there.”

      My version:
      George Jr: “Well, a lot of my friends have been going out and they seem fine. They all said it is perfectly safe out there.”

      Observation: ““Well, a lot of my friends are going out and they seemed fine, they all said it is perfectly safe out there.” This seems like the classic teenage appeal to teenage authority!

      Delete

  17. One sunny morning, there was a family consisting of father, mother, brother (Ivan), and younger brother (Rafi). they were gathered in the living room

    Ivan:"Mom, I am going to jog at the park."

    Mom: "Okay go on, then you will got the virus, get sick and all the family member will also getting sick. Do you want to harm our family young man?"

    Ivan: "It's not like that mom. I just want to get exercise, I do my social distancing, I wear mask."

    Mom: "Didn't you see the news? 80% of the spread is because of the outdoor activity on public places. The park is a public place!"

    Rafi: "But Ivan is right mom. He just want to exercise. The risk is not that big. Besides with exercise, we can also increase our immunity and it can also help us to prevent us from catching the virus."

    Mom: "How dare you guys defy me! I am your mother. I am the one who gave birth to you! You two have no respect at all."

    *Mom then stand up then leaves the living room

    Dad: "You boys should apologise to your mother. She is just paranoid. At least
    you two can do what your mother says so that she feels safer. Just do it for your mother."

    Rafi: "But I don't understand, how can she be such a paranoid?"

    Dad: "Just do what she say. You don't understand what is like to be a parent."

    Ivan: "Dad is right Rafi. We should always obey our parents."



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Rafi: "But Ivan is right mom. He just want to exercise. The risk is not that big. Besides with exercise, we can also increase our immunity and it can also help us to prevent us from catching the virus."
      Mom: "How dare you guys defy me! I am your mother. I am the one who gave birth to you! You two have no respect at all."
      *Mom then stand up then leaves the living room

      Your version:
      Mom: "Okay go on, then you will got the virus, get sick and all the family member will also getting sick. Do you want to harm our family young man?"

      My version:
      Mom: "Okay go on then, you will get the virus, get sick and all the family will also get sick. Do you want to harm our family, young man?"

      Observation: It would have been helpful if you’d labelled your logical fallacies.

      Delete
  18. The setting of the script is one morning in a lively suburban household. It consists of five characters: Katelyn, the mother; Earl, the father; John, the eldest son; Chad, the middle son; and Bobby, the youngest son. The three boys are all in college.

    Bobby: Hey Chad let's go play catch again!
    Chad: Sure Bobby, want to play now?
    Mom: You guys still want to play ball in the house? You already broke a vase yesterday. Why don't you go do something productive like studying so you guys can finish college quickly.
    Chad: Studying is boring, and you know that it's not as simple as just studying to graduate college right, Mom? But what would you know, you didn't even go to college. (Ad Hominem)
    Mom: Do you really want to feel Mama’s new broom this early in the morning Chad?
    John: Well to be fair Chad, a majority of people at the time Mom was a teenager didn’t have the opportunity to go to college and it wasn’t as necessary as it is now. That’s how ancient she is. (Appeal to popularity)
    Mom: I seriously don’t know what to do with you boys. One second I think you’re helping, but the next second I get teased on again. I really got to warm up that broom now.
    Bobby: You're so lucky Mom,you didn’t have to go through all the pain and struggling in college.
    Mom: You call me having to take care of three adult-sized children in addition to your father being lucky? Boy you still have a lot to learn about pain and struggles.
    Dad: Yeah don’t be so hard on your mother boys. Besides, she didn’t go to college because of me getting her pregnant too soon.
    Mom: Wow, you are taking responsibility Earl? Well, that’s a rare sight to see.
    Dad: I have my moments, Kate. Yup, I made the mistake of creating John.
    Chad: Hey John did you hear that, your existence was just a mistake! Hahahahaha!
    John: Hey! Why am I the victim now?
    Dad: It is what it is, but in the end it all worked out right boys.
    Bobby: You are always too careless, you know that right Dad?
    Dad: Well to justify that, a great man named Warren Buffet once said, “it’s good to learn from your mistakes.It’s better to learn from other people’s mistakes.” Since I made a hell of a lot of mistakes, you guys can surely learn from them. So in a way I am helping you boys. (Appeal to Authority)
    John: Hmmm so are you saying that we should make mistakes so our future children can learn as well Dad? Well that explains why we are causing so much trouble! (Straw Man)
    Dad: Sort of? Well that didn’t go as I thought it would in my head.
    Chad: You see Mom, it’s either we learn from our mistakes or just cause nothing but trouble by doing them. (False Dilemma)
    Mom: Well you could just not make them…. Seriously, what am I going to do with you boys…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Dad: Yeah don’t be so hard on your mother boys. Besides, she didn’t go to college because of me getting her pregnant too soon.
      Mom: Wow, you are taking responsibility Earl? Well, that’s a rare sight to see.
      Dad: I have my moments, Kate. Yup, I made the mistake of creating John.
      Chad: Hey John did you hear that, your existence was just a mistake! Hahahahaha!
      John: Hey! Why am I the victim now?
      Dad: It is what it is, but in the end it all worked out right boys.

      Your version:
      My version:
      I can’t find anything I want to grumble about.

      Observation: Chad: You see Mom, it’s either we learn from our mistakes or just cause nothing but trouble by doing them. (False Dilemma). But mistakes DO cause trouble. Does that not seem to be a reasonable “dilemma”?

      Delete
  19. Mom : “Can you please get off your phone and help me with the dishes dear?”
    Aaron : “I have work to do mom, sorry”
    Mom : “Please just come here and help me with this, you can play your games later”
    Aaron : “So you’re saying that all I do is playing games mom? Just because I’m on my computer all the time?”
    Dina : “Come on mom, He’s too lazy for this, I’ll do it for you”
    Mom : “Oh thank you dear, just tell me if you’re done”
    Dina : “But I got to go at 10.30 mom, my friends are waiting”
    Mom : “Yeah I forgot, Liza’s house for her birthday party right?”
    Dina : “Yes, if I’m late, she will be mad at me. If she got mad, I can be thrown out of her party. And if that happens, I’ll have no more friends.
    Mom : “Stop exaggerating girl, either get it done or no more shopping this week”
    Dina : “Why are you so mad, just give me five minutes to clean all these dishes”
    *Dad came down stairs
    Mom : “What is Aaron been doing up there? He never same down even for dinner”
    Dad : “He’s getting his final project done, just give him time alone honey”
    Mom : “Final project? For what?”
    Dad : “His college of course, what else? It’s his final semester right now you remember? ”
    Mom : “Why am I so stressed, give me proof!”
    Dad : “Just take a look at his computer and find out”
    Mom : “no proof, I’ll get some more sleep”
    Dad : “What do you know about him? Stop making assumptions ”
    *mom leaves
    Dina : “Is she always like that? I can’t stand her if I’m you dad, you’re strong”
    *Dad laughs
    Dad : “She’s just tired honey don’t worry about her”
    Dina : “But expert says she need medicine, have you ever heard of BPD dad ? it stands for Borderline Personality Disorder”
    Dad : “No she doesn’t”
    Dina : “Well, experts said she does, Want to check?”
    Dad : “Are you saying that she’s crazy? She’s your mom girl! Go to your room!”
    Aaron : “Stop it guys, she’s just tired okay? Let's get some food dad”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting part:

      Aaron : “I have work to do mom, sorry”
      Mom : “Please just come here and help me with this, you can play your games later”.
      Aaron : “So you’re saying that all I do is playing games mom? Just because I’m on my computer all the time?”

      Your version:
      Dad : “She’s just tired honey don’t worry about her”

      My version:
      Dad : “She’s just tired, honey. Don’t worry about her.”

      Observation: When Dina says: “But expert says she need medicine, have you ever heard of BPD dad ? it stands for Borderline Personality Disorder”, do you think the “experts say” part is an appeal to authority?

      Delete