Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

4 November 2020

Session 6 Class C - 4th November 2020

 CHOOSE YOUR FAVOURITE STORIES: VOTE FIVE TIMES



  • This week's task is about writing microfiction
  • I want you to write a (very) short story which is only 100 words long. 
  • It must be EXACTLY 100 wordsnot including the title and your name. THIS IS A VERY STRICT RULE.
  • Do not submit 98 or 99 or 101 or 102 words!
  • Use WORD Counter.net to check the word count HERE.
  • The title can add some nuance or extra meaning. 
  • The story must have an Indonesian dimension: setting, character, perspective.
  • Have your Session 6 teammates check your grammar and punctuation before you submit it to me. 
  • The "best" SIXTEEN from EWS 2020 will be featured in a radio programme that will be broadcast in the UK in December but distributed to you next week.
  • I will issue a letter acknowledging your contribution to the show that you can stick in your portfolio.
Here are four examples:


TEXTS

The Photographic Record by Ian Hornett

Ellie didn't reach the spartan apartment until after the council had taken away the body of her mother's uncle. She'd never met him. She knew nothing about him but was nevertheless the only relative he had left, those in America for generations notwithstanding. He'd had no books. No paper, pens, no television, no creature comforts. Prim. Proper. Joyless. He had only three photos. One with siblings in 1940. A bleak one of him posing stiffly alone in 1959. And a 1972 picture, surveillance-like, him crossing a street, seen from an upstairs window. Was it taken by a lover? Elie wondered.

Ambushed by Jo Coldwell

I fell to the ground like a sack of sweet potatoes. The blood in my mouth tasted metallic and wicked. The pain was dull and everywhere. My vertical eyes peered through horizontal grass blades, tall, teeming greens, nostrils itched by their oniony scent, swaying slightly, dappling me with needles of blinding sun. I glimpsed the horror of a soldier's boots passing. My breathing stopped. Motionless and damp. Chest burning. Roaring silence. I wanted to sleep. Just surrender to the sleep. But I knew it'd be the end. However, as I have been able to describe all this, I obviously survived.

Snubbed by Yvonne Pini

The two geese spent all day shrieking as they reigned over the t-junction they’d commandeered in the middle of the otherwise quiet neighbourhood. Car drivers didn’t want to get out on that corner. Only if motorcyclists were speeding would they be left alone. Cyclists had to gird themselves and aim straight at the birds before escaping hell for leather. Pedestrians had to take a different route. Children didn’t play on that corner any more. The geese’s sullen owner had bought them having lost the election for head of the neighbourhood committee. He tossed goose feed onto the tarmac every morning.

New Promenade Hotel by Bill Lawrance

“There were millions of cockroaches”. No. Delete. Be more level-headed. “There were so many cockroaches.” No. Say “countless” instead. I typed. “There were countless cockroaches in my room.” The PC was on our reception desk. I read the whole thing back to myself. Almost ready to click on submit. I peered through the lobby window at the hotel across the road. Those Johnny-come-latelies thought they were so clever, taking our name, so tirelessly built-up and buffed, and putting the word New in front of it. Our occupancy fell by 20%. Wait till tourists read this, my latest anonymous online review.

More examples...


Cookbooks by Pamela Ennis

Patti was a voracious collector of cookbooks. At last count, there were 2,200 of them. Although she considered herself a self-taught gourmet, she had not yet cooked one recipe. Most nights she stood in the middle of her kitchen; cookbooks opened to dog-eared pages of dishes she yearned to try; cupboards opened, revealing their curious contents; and the expectant refrigerator door gaping too long for efficiency until she acknowledged that she lacked the ingredients for any of them. In the end, she always settled herself in, alone in front of the television, with her cheese sandwich and bowl of soup.

The Moderator by Louise Wolsey

The headstone would’ve been a chance to answer back without reprisal. A chance for revenge. A signal to a world that had been kept in the dark. Sharon, single, twice divorced, wanted “Here lies a capricious, malignant man”. Julia, mother of three, raising them alone, wanted “There were some happy moments but too few”. Elsie, hiding from her wifebeater ex, who was hiding from her tempestuous son, wanted “He taught me how a parent shouldn’t be”. The stonemason’s lethargic expressions had absorbed the siblings’ inclinations. They stood graveside, grim, motionless, dry-eyed. “Here lies John James, survived by three beautiful daughters”.

A Troubling Day by Paula Larcher

Something was troubling Malcolm. He had awoken to a letter from his wife, telling him that she was leaving him, and on the way to work his car was written off in a multiple pileup on the motorway. At lunchtime, Kylie from credit – control informed him that she was pregnant with his child after the works Christmas party, and on the way home, he was set upon by robbers and his wallet and credit cards were stolen. Then, in the evening it finally dawned upon him what had been bothering him; all day long he’d been thinking it was Thursday.   

Shameless by Yvonne Pini

The family had to face it: she was a thief. She felt no guilt about it.  Wasn’t it just opportunism? If something was there to be taken, someone else didn’t want it. If she did, she took it. No equivocation or compunction. Of course, she was sometimes caught, and punished, but remained undeterred. Devoid of conscience or empathy, impervious to opprobrium, she had neither life goals nor morality to guide her. Yet those who knew her did not judge her harshly. That’s just how she is, they’d say indulgently.  What do you expect? Unapologetic, She yawned, stretched languorously and purred. 

52 comments:

  1. Love at Prambanan by Nadia Arianna

    The crowd was singing beautifully, complementing the singer's soft yet powerful voice. The breeze of the wind and the soft glow of stage lights made the night seem lively. The street was filled with people and their loved ones. Couple drowned in gazes of one another, caroling along with gleaming and adoring eyes. It was as if those eyes spoke of adoration and happiness of the moment. The artists' performances were bewitching. Singing love stories with Prambanan Temple behind them, a tale of unrequited love turned tragic. An irony to the warmth of love felt in the air that night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 4
      Arianna
      Daru
      Iqbal
      Julian

      Delete
    2. Love at Prambanan by Arianna

      The crowd was singing beautifully, complementing the singer's soft yet powerful voice. The CARESS of the wind and the soft glow of stage lights made the night seem lively. The street was filled with people and their loved ones. COUPLES drowned in gazes of one another, STROLLING along with gleaming and adoring eyes. It was as if those eyes spoke of adoration and happiness IN THAT moment. The artists' performances were bewitching: singing love stories with Prambanan Temple behind them, a tale of unrequited love turned tragic. SO IRONIC, CONSIDERING the warm REQUITED love felt in the air that night.

      NOTE: there’s no harm making the irony absolutely clear in terms of unrequited v requited.

      Delete
  2. Essential Aid by Bramantyo Anandaru Suyadi
    Even though Andri got accepted into a good school in Jakarta, he felt unsatisfied by the lack of assistance given by the school. The school gave the students a list of mandatory books without any information about where to get them from. They don’t sell the books themselves and the local book stores don’t sell them either, forcing the students to buy it online at a higher price. After that, the student’s parents protested to the school about the situation their children are facing. Later, the school announced that the mandatory books will be provided in the form of e-book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 4
      Arianna
      Daru
      Iqbal
      Julian

      Delete
    2. Essential Aid by Daru

      Even though Andri got accepted into a good UNIVERSITY in Jakarta, he felt unsatisfied by the lack of assistance given by the FACULTY. IT HAD GIVEN the students a list of mandatory books without any information about where to get them from. They DIDN’T sell the books themselves and the local book stores DIDN’T sell them either, forcing the students to buy THEM online at a higher price. After that, the student’s parents protested to the FACULTY about the situation their children WERE facing. Later, the school announced that the mandatory books WOULD be provided in the form of E-BOOKS.

      Delete
  3. The King by Shafa Haliza

    Adwaya, a kingdom simulation game. One who achieves the highest level of 100 is known to have an insane skills, and that one happens to be Aditya. Aditya was anxious to live in his own empire like in this game. Though it's just fortunate when a virus hacked his computer and magically swallowed Aditya into the game. However, he simply forgot that he was not the only one who's after the throne, and a simple combo-button will not help him fight his rivals this time. The rule is clear in Adwaya, only one true king can sit in the throne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 2
      Kevin
      Shafa
      Ridho

      Delete
    2. The King by Shafa

      IN Adwaya, a kingdom simulation game, SOMEONE who achieves the highest level of 100 HAS to have an insane skills, and that PERSON HAPPENED to be Aditya. HE was anxious to live in his own empire like in this game, SO IT WAS just fortunate when a virus hacked his computer and magically swallowed HIM into the SIMULATION. However, HE’D simply FORGOTTEN that he was not the only one WHO SOUGHT POWER, and a simple combo-button WOULD not help him fight his rivals this time. The rule WAS clear in Adwaya, only one true king COULD sit in the throne.

      Delete
  4. When Ayu is not in Batavia by Laras Titania

    The sunlight flashes and blinds Ayu’s eyes for a second. When she opens her eyes, her soul feels full again and that's when she knows her whereabouts. The grasslands with no boundaries have become her home, while the reality is only a place of refuge. In this place, Ayu is neither a housewife nor a mother. In this place, she is just Ayu. The breeze makes her hair fly and her long kebaya float. She makes big strides as if the wind is chasing her and walks fast so she could enjoy the meadow before time takes her away again..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 3
      Danish
      Rafter
      Laras

      Delete
    2. When Ayu Is Not In Batavia by Laras

      The sunlight flashes and blinds Ayu’s eyes for a second. When she opens THEM, her soul feels COMPLETE again and that's when she knows her whereabouts. The grasslands with no boundaries have become her home, while IN reality THEY’RE only a KIND of refuge. In this place, Ayu is neither a housewife nor a mother. In this place, she is just Ayu. The breeze makes her hair fly and her long BATIK WRAP SWAY. She TAKES big strides as if the wind WERE chasing her and MOVES fast so she could enjoy the meadow before time takes her away again..

      Delete
  5. The Change by Rafter Yang
    Ani and Andi, her little brother, are enjoying a tour in Semarang. They visit a lot of places, including Lawang Sewu. Little did she know, its basement has creepy story. Some said that whoever go there will be back with different soul. However, her brother insists on entering it. “C’mon sis, I just want to take a look, promise!” Ani can’t restrain his curiosity and let him sneaking in on his own. After several minutes, she feels so relieved that he’s coming back. However, the way he walks is strange and he says, “What are you doing here, little girl?”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 3
      Danish
      Rafter
      Laras

      Delete
    2. The Change by Rafter

      Ani and Andi, her little brother, WERE enjoying a tour in Semarang. They VISITED a lot of places, including Lawang Sewu. Little did she know, its basement HAD creepy story. Some said that whoever ENTERED IT WOULD be RE-EMERGE with different soul. However, her brother INSISTED on GOING IN. “C’mon sis, I just want to take a look, promise!” Ani COULDN’T restrain his curiosity and let him SNEAK in on his own. After several minutes, she FELT so relieved that he WAS coming back. However, the way he WALKED WAS strange and he SAID, “WHAT’RE you doing here, little girl?”

      Delete
  6. not a dream by ridho

    Morning comes, the birds tweet and the chicken crow. "Is this a new day?" she asked to herself hesitating. Everybody seems to be happy in their new place, get acquainted each other, shoot the bull, and making up friends. It is after a precious day when he was announced to have reached the exam. But, he could not realize it, when that dream is being a trauma for him, a gloomy nightmare. What a miserable cadets, after he has accepted in the airforce academy, his father was reported pass away after having skydiving in his duty in the air force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 2
      Kevin
      Shafa
      Ridho

      Delete
    2. Not A Dream by Ridho

      Morning CAME, the birds CHIRPED and the CHICKENS CROWED. "Is this a new day?" she asked herself, hesitating. Everybody SEEMED to be happy in their new place, GOT acquainted WITH each other, shot the BREEZE, and MADE NEW friends. It WAS after a precious day when IT was announced HE’D reached the exam TIME. But, he could not SUCCEED: that dream TURNED INTO a trauma for him, a gloomy nightmare. What a miserable CADET, after he HAD BEEN accepted INTO the airforce academy, his father was reported TO HAVE BEEN KILLED after skydiving DOING his duty in the air force.

      Delete
  7. The Empire's Soldier by Natanael Kevin

    The gods named this tropical land Indonesia, where the jungle provided bountiful food and protection for my people. I was born here with a body and strength, triple than the normal. Thus, I was destined to become a soldier. With my fellow brothers, I stand guard and maintain peace throughout the queen’s empire. We fought off monstrous creatures whose hands as sharp as swords and beasts whose wings enable them to fly through the sky. When we are victorious, it's normal for us to feast upon the fallen enemy flesh. I am a soldier ant of the great Anoplolepis Empire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 2
      Kevin
      Shafa
      Ridho

      Delete
    2. The Empire's Soldier by Kevin

      The gods named this tropical land Indonesia, where the jungle PROVIDES bountiful food and protection for my people. I was born here with a body THAT HAD TRIPLE THE NORMAL STRENGTH. Thus, I was destined to become a soldier. With my brothers IN ARMS, I STOOD guard, MAINTAINING peace throughout the queen’s empire. We fought off monstrous creatures WITH hands as sharp as swords and beasts whose wings ENABLED them to fly through the sky. When we WERE victorious, it's normal for us to feast upon the fallen ENEMY’S flesh. I am a soldier ant of the great Anoplolepis Empire.

      Delete
  8. Merdeka! by Danish

    When he wakes up in the middle of the battlefield, he realizes that today is his chance to defend his country's independence, now or never. The atmosphere getting fiercer in the middle of the dazzling afternoon as the war begins. His spirit burned when he remembered Bung Tomo's speech, "As long as Indonesian bulls still have red blood that can be used as a sheet of white cloth, so long as we do not give up on anyone." One word he shouted out loud, "Merdeka!" The flag of Indonesia must continue to be hoisted at the highest pole in Surabaya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 3
      Danish
      Rafter
      Laras

      Delete
    2. Merdeka! by Danish

      When he WOKE up in the middle of the battlefield, he REALIZED that today WAS his chance to defend his country's independence, now or never. The atmosphere WAS getting fiercer in the middle of the dazzling afternoon as the BATTLE PROCEEDED. His spirit burned when he remembered Bung Tomo's speech, "As long as Indonesian bulls still have red blood that can be used as a sheet of white cloth, so long as we do not give up on anyone." HE shouted one word out loud, "Merdeka!" The Indonesian flag must continue to be hoisted on the highest flagpole in Surabaya.

      Delete
  9. Ego by Farrell Lesmana

    I believe it was December 2002 and it was raining in Semeru. We have been walking for about five hours. We were all exhausted but five guys with big egos and hiking was not exactly the perfect match. We forced ourselves and underestimated the bad weather. We kept walking and walking. The last thing that I remember was when a very big rock hit Joko’s face and everything was blurry after that. I remember waking up in an ambulance and I couldn't feel my legs. However, people told me that I’m blessed because I was the only one that survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 1
      Farrell
      Pasha
      Nadya

      Delete
    2. Ego by Farrell Lesmana

      I believe it was December 2002 and it was raining in Semeru. We HAD been walking for about five hours. We were all exhausted AND five guys with big egos and hiking WERE not exactly the perfect match. We forced ourselves and underestimated the bad weather. We kept walking and walking. The last thing that I remember was when a very big rock hit Joko’s face and everything was blurry after that. I RECALL waking up in an ambulance and I couldn't feel my legs. However, people told me that I’m blessed because I was the only one that survived.

      Delete
  10. Unexpected End by Julian Saputra

    I rode my motorcycle down the dark roads of Jakarta. Something was off, it was too quiet, too dark. Suddenly I saw it, a large man with a long chain in his hand. I already knew what was going to happen next, instinctively I turned back only to see another man with weapons in his hands. A few nights ago i heard the news of “begals” attacking and robbing people, I never would have thought I would be next. Suddenly I felt it like a flash, a cold pain in my chest. Was this how I was going to die ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 4
      Arianna
      Daru
      Iqbal
      Julian

      Delete
    2. 100 words

      The space between "die" and "?" (an typing error) made it 101 words!

      Delete
    3. Unexpected End by Julian

      I rode my motorcycle down the dark roads of Jakarta. Something was off: it was too quiet, too dark. Suddenly I saw it, a large man with a long chain in his hand. I already knew what was going to happen next. INSTINCTIVELY, I turned back only to see another man with weapons in his hands. A few nights PREVIOUSLY, I’D heard the news of “begals” attacking and robbing people, I never would have thought I would be next. Suddenly I felt it like a flash, a cold pain in my chest. Was this how I was going to die?

      Delete
  11. The shooting range by Nadya

    As we were enjoying the sound of nature in Nusa Penida, the skies suddenly turned a shade darker. The lights bursted, followed by a sudden explosion and chaos.

    “shooting!”
    “Run Away!”,
    People shouted from a distance.

    Sari and I quickly stood up and ran to where our family was. We ran with a blurry vision amongst a storm of clutter and avoided as many gunshot as we could.
    However, as I hastened my pace, I no longer felt Sari’s movement.

    I looked back and found Sari on the ground. Blood was splattering all over her body. Everything turned pitch black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 1
      Farrell
      Pasha
      Nadya

      Delete
    2. The Shooting Range by Nadya

      As we were enjoying the sound of nature in Nusa Penida, the skies suddenly turned a shade darker. The lights SHATTERED, followed by a sudden explosion and chaos. PEOPLE SHOUTED IN THE DISTANCE. “Shooting!” “Run Away!” Sari and I quickly stood up and RUSHED to where our family was. We ran with blurry vision AMIDST a storm of CONFUSION WHILE AVOIDING as many GUNSHOTS as we could. However, as I hastened my pace, I no longer felt Sari’s movement. I looked back and found HER on the ground. Blood was SPLATTERED all over her body. Everything turned pitch black.

      Delete
  12. 1945 by Maalique Pasha

    I feel it. The irritating and icky feeling of sweat starting to envelope my body. The anxiousness in the surrounding environment that makes me want to just get up and leave. Footsteps from about a hundred people going back and forth; gently shakes the ground. The light morning breeze flowing through my slightly dampened hair. Echoes from all the nervous whispers and murmurs around. The bright sun finally reveals itself and so does he. He slowly walks up to the mic with a piece of paper in between his hands. What a sight to behold, the first president of Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 1
      Farrell
      Pasha
      Nadya

      Delete
    2. 1945 by Pasha

      I FELT it. The irritating and icky feeling of sweat starting to envelope my body. The anxiousness WITH the surrounding environment MADE me want to just get up and leave. THE FOOTSTEPS OF about a hundred people WALKING back and forth gently SHOOK the ground. The light morning breeze FLOWED through my slightly dampened hair. ALL the nervous whispers and murmurs around ECHOED ME. The bright sun finally REVEALED itself and so DID he. He slowly WALKED up to the MICROPHONE with a piece of paper in his hands. What a PROUD sight to behold, the first president of Indonesia.

      Delete
  13. Drowning Waves by. Iqbal Arifin

    Breezing winds of 4AM filling the morning air. Riding past darkness of Kuta’s winding roads, brightness looking over to your sleepyhead full of excitement. Until arrival, a short hike up the Merese hill is worth every step. A pink abstract of the sky, sun’s wary arise from Mount Rinjani, harmonized by roosters crowing and inciting tranquillity of sea. Becoming our monthly destination before the hectic college life, freedom was all that you wanted. Laying yourself on my shoulder, the warmth whispers memories. If the waves could bring me to you, never would I say again of how I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Team 4
      Arianna
      Daru
      Iqbal
      Julian

      Delete
    2. Drowning Waves by Iqbal

      BREEZY winds FILLED the PRE-DAWN morning air. Riding ALONG THE darkness of Kuta’s winding roads, brightness WAS RISING over your sleepyhead, BUZZING WITH excitement. THEN, a short hike up Merese Hill WAS worth every step. THE SKY WAS AN ABSTRACT PINK AS THE sun’s wary RISE from BEHIND Mount Rinjani harmonized WITH roosters crowing and THE BEGUILING tranquillity of sea. This monthly destination WAS ALL THE FREEDOM YOU WANTED before hectic college life WOULD BEGIN. Laying yourself on my shoulder, the WARM WHISPERED memories. If the waves could bring me to you, I’D NEVER SAY HOW I MISS YOU AGAIN.

      Delete