Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

16 October 2020

Session 5 Class E - 16th October 2020

Session 5 Assignment



You plan to live in a homestay when you study in Europe in 2021 and you have already arranged this with the family who will host you. 

They want to send their son and daughter to Indonesia for a whirlwind trip lasting six days and you will be their host and guide. 

They arrive on a Friday evening at Soekarno-Hatta airport and they catch a flight back to Europe on the following Thursday in the early evening. 

The three of you have a budget that covers five nights in luxury hotels, all food and drink, cars and drivers as necessary, and 20 hours of flights (for each of you) if you need them. 

While visiting famous sites is inevitably going to be part of your plan, what you REALLY want to do is to give them an authentic, diverse and fascinating taste of Indonesian life. 

So, use your imagination and try to think outside the box. Remember, it's the "little things" that may seem nothing special to you that can be the details that your guests will never forget.

Write a 200-300 summary of your plan for their trip with details of what you will do, see and eat every day during their stay here.

50 comments:

  1. Something I for sure think is one of the biggest charms of Indonesia is the food and just the environment around it. Not referring to the polluted air or dirty streets but more towards the transport and the people around. Something I would definitely plan is to take them to a restaurant on the streets because this is one of indonesias iconic points, Whether we'd eat Sate Padang , Mi Merah, or any other kind of delicacy I'll let them decide in the end. A trip around Jakarta is of course going to be done but we'll do it by using bajai to give the one of a kind experience. Most of the days will be planned for culinary touring going to different parts of jakarta for different kinds of street food. And on the days where food isn't the main attraction I'll show them the common touring areas such as monas or even things like pasar malam because things like those don't exist in Europe and even if they do i doubt it has the same charm as the ones in Indonesia. After all the days spent on food and touring the last day will be spent going shopping so they have something to remember when they return back home, common choices for me would be to bring them to a batik store or a souvenir shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best wishes, Rafie. Good luck with your new plan in Malaysia. Have a great life.

      Delete
  2. Making a trip to accompany my Europe host family's son and daughter, 6 days to venture Indonesia for me is not enough. With the diversity in nature and how vast Indonesia is, it is quite hard to pack those things in just 6 days but with this amazing plan I am going to make things work. First of all with the budget of five nights in luxury hotel I will use it 1 night in Jakarta because I want to accompany them to circle Jakarta. First destination in Jakarta I will accompany them to monas because it is the city icon. After touring Monas, we shall eat the local cuisine that everybody likes which is Padang and I am sure that they are going to love it. After lunch I will accompany them to Gelora Bungkarno to stroll around the huge parks there. After that we will eat another cuisine for dinner which is soto Ambengan located near Gelora Bung Karno and accompany them to the hotel so they can get some sleep. The next day I will book them tickets to Bali which every people knows how beautiful it is. Arriving there I will rent a car so we can get to places fairly easily and go to Ubud and venture the monkey forest and eat some Ribs at Nuris and they going to stay a Villa in Ubud because it is very beautiful and sincere there. The next day Im planning to go to Tulamben and for some diving at the infamous Liberty shipwreck. After diving maybe they wanted to have some fun and we will go to Kuta to have some dinner and go to some bars for chatting. The very next day we are going to Bali zoo and pretty much it would take us the whole day and have lunch and dinner there. The last day in Bali I will take them to pasar Sukowati and Kresna to buy some souvenirs and go to GWK park and after lunch we will go to Uluwatu to enjoy the sunset there. After 4 days in Bali we shall go back to Jakarta, I will book reservation to eat at Namaz Dining so they can enjoy their last day in Jakarta with memorable taste of authentic dishes. That's pretty much it for 6 days in Indonesia with me and of course it will be memorable and very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “The very next day we are going to Bali zoo and pretty much it would take us the whole day and have lunch and dinner there.” This catches my eye because, I think nobody else has mentioned going to a zoo. Are you sure Bali zoo is better than Europe’s zoos?

      Suggestion or Question: What exactly makes the Liberty shipwreck “infamous”? Whatever it is, it sounds like a good idea.

      My version: “Making a trip to accompany my Europe host family's son and daughter, 6 days to venture Indonesia for me is not enough. With the diversity in nature and how vast Indonesia is, it is quite hard to pack those things in just 6 days but with this amazing plan I am going to make things work.”

      Your version: “When planning a trip while accompanying my European host family's son and daughter, six days to explore Indonesia is not enough for me. It is quite hard to pack the country’s diversity in nature and its vastness into just six days, but with this amazing plan I am going to make things work.”

      Delete
  3. For the first evening of their arrival in Jakarta, I would pick both of them from the airport and take them straight away to the hotel. I would offer them to have a dinner or just simply order it to the hotel since it must have been a really long flight for them. The next day, I would bring them to Pasar Pagi and let them pick their breakfast there. I would want them to taste something traditional from Betawi such as Lontong Sayur or Soto Betawi. Then the whole day I would just bring them around Jakarta and go to some iconic tourism such as Monas, Museums, and other places. I would want them to have the best experience in Jakarta because the next day I would bring them to Yogyakarta. So, on Sunday, they will arrive at Yogyakarta on the first flight and of course the first destination is Gudeg Yu Jum. They can stroll around to some shopping places after that. At the evening we will have a nice dinner at a fancy Javanese restaurant and go straight to the hotel after that. I wouldn’t want them to exhaust themselves that night because tomorrow before dawn I would bring them to watch a beautiful sunrise at Candi Borobudur. They can spend as much time as they want there and have a brunch after that. We will go back to the hotel for a nice nap. At the evening, we would have a dinner somewhere exotic. No need to be detailed on this one because we would go to a bar after that and have some fun there. The day after, which is Tuesday, we would check out of the hotel at noon and book a flight to Bali. Yes, who wouldn’t want to go to Bali? We would stay in a cheap RedDoorz and spend most of the time on the beaches and bars. They will have the best experiences of the culinary there and enjoy the exotic nature of Bali. Finally, after a week full of joy, they would be on their way home from Ngurah Rai Bali on Thursday evening and that would be our goodbye before seeing each other again at 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “At the evening, we would have a dinner somewhere exotic. No need to be detailed on this one because we would go to a bar after that and have some fun there.” Not many people have mentioned the idea of going to a bar. I approve.

      Suggestion or Question: “I would offer them to have a dinner or just simply order it to the hotel since it must have been a really long flight for them.” Maybe they could sip cocktails by the hotel pool (a rooftop one with a great view of the city?) and you could chat about the plans for the week ahead.

      My version: “Yes, who wouldn’t want to go to Bali? We would stay in a cheap RedDoorz and spend most of the time on the beaches and bars. They will have the best experiences of the culinary there and enjoy the exotic nature of Bali.”

      Your version: “Yes, who wouldn’t want to go to Bali? We would stay in a cheap RedDoorz hotel and spend most of the time on the beaches and in bars. They will have the best culinary experiences there and enjoy the island’s exotic nature.”

      Delete
  4. I am going to make this trip a little bit different from travel packages by travel agents. What I really love about Indonesia is their food and I am sure that if I were to be far away from home, I would miss the food most. So, I am going to take them on a culinary road trip from Jakarta to Surabaya. I want to do this with them because it is going to be a travel experience they can only have with me. If they want to go on a trip for its sights and do mainstream tourist things, they can do so with a tour package from a travel agency. One might think that this trip would be inconvenient, but I believe that with the newly built highways, this trip will be a lot of fun.

    Upon their arrival, I would take them to eat in a 5-star hotel in Jakarta and let them rest because we are going to start our road trip at 5 AM the next day. So, the plan is to drive to Surabaya, but we are going to stop on cities along the way to explore the food and a little bit of their culture. We are going to spend each night in different cities; Bandung, Semarang, Magelang, Yogyakarta, Malang and Surabaya. However, we are also going to make a quick stop at Cirebon, Brebes, Solo and Kediri.

    There are going to be a lot of region specialty that we are going to try but I am going to highlight just a few. One of the most exciting agenda is to taste telor asin from Brebes and also participate in its making process. Besides that, I am going to take them to eat the best meatballs and rabbit satay in Malang. I know that it seems cruel to eat rabbits but I can guarantee they will have a memorable culinary experience. Additionally, I will take them to the best nasi liwet, soto seger and tengkleng place in Solo. The places are not fancy nor hygienic, but they are going to be surprised with how delicious it tastes. Lastly, I am going to take them to eat Bebek Sinjay, the best fried duck to exist in Java.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: I like this line of thinking: “I want to do this with them because it is going to be a travel experience they can only have with me. If they want to go on a trip for its sights and do mainstream tourist things, they can do so with a tour package from a travel agency.”

      Suggestion or Question: Bandung to Semarang sounds like a long stretch of the route. How many hours’ drive is it? I note that you will stop off in Cirebon and Brebes to break up this part of the trip.

      My version: “I know that it seems cruel to eat rabbits but I can guarantee they will have a memorable culinary experience.”

      Your version: “I know that it seems cruel to eat rabbits but I can guarantee that my guests will have a memorable culinary experience.” (Not the rabbits!)

      Delete
  5. After a long haul flight, it will be exhausted for them. So I'm thinking for the first day I'm planning to let them rest for the day and order some food for them. Then for dinner, I'm planning to reserve a place maybe somewhere that has an Indonesian and European cuisine so they can warm up their stomach to get used to Indonesian cuisine for the rest of the trip. On the second day we might go around Jakarta, like visit Monas and then Ancol or Jakarta Aquarium. The third day it is where the party started it because we are going on a trip, and we are going to go to the Safari in Cisarua all day and when we get back we might take a quick stop at Cimory.

    Also on the third day, we are going to Bandung. So we are going to arrive during the night, so we straight going to Cibadak for a culinary experience. The next day after a quick breakfast, we are going to Lembang and explore Bandung and then went back to Jakarta. For the last day, we are going to do a little shopping and getting ready for a flight back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: Ah, yes. You have mentioned Ancol too, and Jakarta Aquarium. The idea I really like is going on safari in Cisarua.

      Suggestion or Question: Your idea about easing them into Indonesian cuisine cautiously is an interesting one but perhaps they can start with a (non-European) non-challenging selection of local food (meaning: not too spicy hot).

      My version: “After a long haul flight, it will be exhausted for them. So I'm thinking for the first day I'm planning to let them rest for the day and order some food for them. Then for dinner, I'm planning to reserve a place maybe somewhere that has an Indonesian and European cuisine so they can warm up their stomach to get used to Indonesian cuisine for the rest of the trip.”

      Your version: “After a long haul flight, they will be exhausted. So, for the first day I'm planning to let them rest for the day and order some food for them. Then for dinner, I will reserve a place maybe somewhere that has an Indonesian and European cuisine so they can accustomize their stomachs to Indonesian cuisine for the rest of the trip.”

      Delete
  6. Actually, 6 days to explore Indonesia is not enough, we need a month to explore Indonesia but whatever I'll try to make it quick. Before taking them to the hotel, the first thing I would like to do with them is visiting street food in Jakarta and eating Nasi Goreng Blok M, which the best nasi goreng in Jakarta. After that, I will let them rest because tomorrow would be a busy day for us. The next morning, I take them to do sport around the Gelora bung Karno Senayan, Jakarta and eat porridge from street food. In the afternoon we must go to the airport to catch our flight to Adi Sucipto international airport in Yogyakarta. We arrived in the evening, then I took all of them to the famous Malioboro to shop and dinner. Another morning has come, for breakfast, I took them to eat gudeg near the hotel which was located on the side of the road. after that, I took them for a trip to the Borobudur temple in Magelang and take lunch near that temple, and after that, we go to the famous keraton ngayogyakarta to do sightseeing and do a lot of fun things. the night has come, we decided to dine on street food called Bakmi Jawa which very affordable and pretty delicious. The next morning, we go to the airport to return to Jakarta for another night before leaving for Europe. For this last day, I decided to take them to the Ancol and do a lot of things that will become memorable before their departure for Europe. In the end, I take them to the airport and say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “For this last day, I decided to take them to the Ancol and do a lot of things that will become memorable before their departure for Europe.” Interesting idea. No one else has mentioned Ancol if I am not mistaken.

      Suggestion or Question: I think the first thing your guests would want to do after their long flight would not be to eat; I think they’d want to have a shower and change their clothes. After that… yes, food!

      My version: “Actually, 6 days to explore Indonesia is not enough, we need a month to explore Indonesia but whatever I'll try to make it quick. Before taking them to the hotel, the first thing I would like to do with them is visiting street food in Jakarta and eating Nasi Goreng Blok M, which the best nasi goreng in Jakarta.”

      Your version: “Actually, six days to explore Indonesia is not enough; we need a month to do it. However, I'll try to make it a plan for a quick visit. Before taking them to the hotel, the first thing I would like to do is to visit Jakarta street foodstalls and eat Nasi Goreng Blok M, which the best friend rice in the city.”

      Delete
  7. Once I pick them up from the airport, I will take them to dinner at Bakmi GM as it’s located at the airport. A light and warm bowl of bakmi ayam would be perfect for them after the long flight. Next, I’ll take them back to the hotel and order martabak for them. I would take them out if they wanted to, but to be honest, the traffic would just turn them off, so I’d just let them rest for the night.

    On the second day, I’ll be taking them to explore Bandung a little. So, in the morning we’ll go to Kawah Putih. In the evening, we’ll go to Yogyakarta by plane. As we arrive in Yogyakarta, we’ll stroll around Malioboro by becak and then have dinner at Bakmi Kadin. We’ll be checking in at Royal Ambarrukmo hotel.

    On the third day, I’ll take them around Gunung Kidul, specifically to Goa Pindul to go cave tubing. After that, if we have time, we’ll also go river tubing at Oyo River, which is near to Goa Pindul as well. After all the exhausting activities, we’ll go back to the city and have dinner at Gudeg Yu Djum.

    On the fourth day, we’ll transit from Yogyakarta to Surabaya for a while before going to Bali, mainly for the superior food. I’ll take them to eat iga penyet and chicken satay at Sate Klopo Ondomohen. Then, we will take a flight to Bali at around 4 PM.

    Once we arrive at Bali, I’ll take them around Kuta to enjoy the vibes of Bali, even though the beach is not as pretty anymore. We’ll maybe rest for the evening and have ayam betutu for dinner. For the next and also last day, we’ll go to Suluban Beach. It is not a well-known destination, in fact, it’s almost like a hidden paradise because to get to the beach itself you’d have to take a lot of stairs down to the beach while being surrounded by the forest with wild monkeys on the trees. They’ll return to their home country from Bali the next day and we’ll celebrate our last night together by having seafood for dinner at Jimbaran.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “We’ll also go river tubing at Oyo River, which is near to Goa Pindul”. Nobody else has mentioned this idea.

      Suggestion or Question: On that first night in Jakarta, how about cruising around the congested city streets on the back of motorbikes?

      My version: “On the second day, I’ll be taking them to explore Bandung a little. So, in the morning we’ll go to Kawah Putih. In the evening, we’ll go to Yogyakarta by plane. As we arrive in Yogyakarta, we’ll stroll around Malioboro by becak and then have dinner at Bakmi Kadin. We’ll be checking in at Royal Ambarrukmo hotel.”

      Your version: “On the second day, I’ll be taking them to explore Bandung a little. So, in the morning, we’ll go to Kawah Putih. In the evening, we’ll go to Yogyakarta by plane. When we get there, we’ll cruise around Malioboro by pedicab (becak) and then have dinner at Bakmi Kadin. We’ll be checking in at the Royal Ambarrukmo Hotel.”

      Delete
  8. After they arrive at the airport, I will take them to the hotel that we will be staying in to unpack and let them rest for a moment. My main objective is to take them to places that they can’t find in Europe. So, I won’t take them to the mall or such. What I will do however is to take them to places that can be described as the heart of Indonesia. I want to focus on traditional Indonesian culinary and main tourist attractions. My first objective is Central Jakarta. In Central Jakarta, I will take them to “Ragusa Ice Cream” that has been operating since 1932 and people that live around Central Jakarta consider that ice cream parlor as “legendary”. After that, I will take them to Pasar Baru, a clean traditional market where they sell many unique traditional merchandises like batik bags, traditional hats, cute dresses and more. They also sell vintage Indonesian vinyl records, in case they want to experience the golden age of Indonesia. After a long shopping, we can fulfil our appetite by eating at the original branch restaurant of “Bakmi Gang Kelinci” where the menu is the most complete out of all the rest of the branches. After that, I will take them on a night stroll in the streets of Central Jakarta like Sarinah. My second objective is Bali, so, we will be staying in a hotel in Seminyak where we can get an easy access to various restaurants and places. Then, I will be taking them to Ubud where we can visit the monkey forest. After that, I will take them to The Garuda Wisnu Kencana Cultural Park where we can see the famous giant statue of Garuda Wisnu Kencana. And to end the night, we will watch the traditional “Kecak Dance” in Uluwatu. The next morning at sunrise, I will take them to the Seminyak Beach and we can have breakfast in “The Nook” restaurant where we can view a beautiful rice field landscape. Then, I will take them shopping in the “Pasar Seni Ubud”. In there, they can find various beautiful traditional handmade items that are usually sold in a low price. On the last day, I will take them to Tegalalang Rice Terrace where we can take some pictures of the beautiful terrace view. And to end our trip, I will take them to Khrisna Shopping Center where they can buy Balinese souvenirs for them to take home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: I like this idea: “My main objective is to take them to places that they can’t find in Europe.” It’s a good concept to apply to your itinerary.

      Suggestion or Question: I also like your plan for Bali which clearly wants to place the emphasis on the countryside and culture as opposed to the beach etc.

      My version: “After a long shopping, we can fulfil our appetite by eating at the original branch restaurant of “Bakmi Gang Kelinci” where the menu is the most complete out of all the rest of the branches.”

      Your version: “After a long shopping session, we can satisfy our appetite by eating at the original “Bakmi Gang Kelinci” restaurant where the menu is the most complete out of all its branches.”

      Delete
  9. Let me tell you the schedule for the week-long trip that I will host for my friends. On the Friday evening, I would love to celebrate their arrival with a grand yet flavorful welcome dinner and I think that Sederhana Padang would be a perfect choice for that. On the next day, I am going to take them on a walk at Kota Tua, the downtown area of Jakarta, where we will have an authentic nasi uduk for breakfast and sightsee the ancient architecture from the colonialism era. I am planning to take them around the city, either renting bicycles or riding Jakarta’s traditional transportation - bajaj or bemo. In the evening, we will watch the sunset and dine Soto Tangkar in Pelabuhan Sunda Kelapa. On Sunday, we are joining the car-free day, so that we can have a morning walk together, while visiting the national monument. After that, they might want to take a quick break and we can have a quality time at the hotel. In the evening, I am planning to take them to a beach view seafood restaurant, Segarra, and call it a day.

    For Monday, we will have a food journey around Pantai Indah Kapuk. There is a wide range of diner or snack bar that we can visit, from cafes, sushi or even gelato shops. Then, we can go fishing or take several pictures at the magnificent Taman Wisata Mangrove and end the day, watching the sunset over the island. Lastly, we are eating traditional bebek goreng at the nearby food tents before we go back to the hotel. Meanwhile, on Tuesday, I am taking them to a more aesthetic destination. We will be spending the day at the Modern and Contemporary Art Museum (Museum MACAN). It is one of the most phenomenal museums in Jakarta. This time, they get to pick what’s for lunch, but for the evening, we will be served Manado cuisines at Sarang Oci. Finally, on Wednesday, we are thrift shopping at Pasar Santa, so that they have a chance to look for souvenirs to take home. In Pasar Santa, there are hundreds of unique and antique stores as well as mini food shops. We can try the iconic dim sum, juice bar or maybe the popular ice cream shops around the area. In the evening, I will teach them how to use the Gojek app for delivery to order our dinner. I am sure they are going to be exhausted at the end of the day. Even though, we are only exploring Jakarta for a whole week, I hope that they enjoy their time here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: This sounds great: “Then, we can go fishing or take several pictures at the magnificent Taman Wisata Mangrove and end the day, watching the sunset over the island.”

      Suggestion or Question: I like the car-free day idea. There are many options: becak, bicycles, motorbikes, and maybe even andong.

      My version: “On the next day, I am going to take them on a walk at Kota Tua, the downtown area of Jakarta, where we will have an authentic nasi uduk for breakfast and sightsee the ancient architecture from the colonialism era.”

      Your version: “On the next day, I am going to take them on a walk around Kota Tua, the downtown area of Jakarta, where we will have an authentic rice dish called nasi uduk for breakfast and look at the ancient architecture from the colonial era.”

      Delete
  10. This would be an excellent opportunity for me to explore more of Indonesia, especially their food, with an uncountable budget. On the first day, because they arrived at Soekarno-Hatta, it would be nice to explore Jakarta first. If they arrived before lunch, I will take them to a Sundanese restaurant so they could have a sense of the Indonesian style of eating. I would advise them to eat with their hands to get used to it in the coming days. After lunch, they would probably felt jet-lagged, so I’m going to book them a room at a hotel in Central Jakarta to feel the Jakarta vibes. For dinner, we will eat at a seafood restaurant at Kelapa Gading called 212 so they could have a taste of Indonesian seafood. For the finisher on the first day, I will take them to the nearest “tenda” where they could eat desserts like es campur or ronde jahe.
    We are not going to be in Jakarta on the second day because we are leaving for Bali. In Bali, we will take them to a Balinese restaurant for lunch, and then they will check in to their hotel at Nusa Dua. Before we stop at the hotel, there are some souvenir shops that sell general Bali souvenirs like a barong t-shirt or some keychain. At the hotel, We book them a two-hour spa session where they could relax and an all you can eat buffet at the hotel where they serve more Indonesian food.
    On the third day, we are going to Jogja, where they could eat lots of Jogja food, and one of them is gudeg. We top the day by attending the Prambanan jazz so that we could have a relaxing night.
    On the fourth day, we are heading west, specifically West Sumatera. They are going to taste Padang food for the first time. Of course, the one dish that is inevitable for people who come to Indonesia is rendang. We will make them feel so lucky because they could eat rendang at its birthplace.
    Sadly, we have to return to Jakarta on the fifth day to have a slight rest before their flight back to Europe. That is why Jakarta trip part two will start in the afternoon, and we are going to ride the MRT and stop at every destination. Finally, we will arrange a chill farewell party at my house so we could reminisce every bit of our trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “On the fourth day, we are heading west, specifically West Sumatera. They are going to taste Padang food for the first time. Of course, the one dish that is inevitable for people who come to Indonesia is rendang. We will make them feel so lucky because they could eat rendang at its birthplace.” I don’t think anybody else has mentioned “rendang”. Going to the place where Padang food originated is a nice idea.

      Suggestion or Question: In Bali, you would need to check in to the hotel before you go shopping for souvenirs because you will still have all your luggage.

      My version: “We are not going to be in Jakarta on the second day because we are leaving for Bali. In Bali, we will take them to a Balinese restaurant for lunch, and then they will check in to their hotel at Nusa Dua. Before we stop at the hotel, there are some souvenir shops that sell general Bali souvenirs like a barong t-shirt or some keychain.”

      Your version: “We are not going to be in Jakarta on the second day because we are leaving for Bali instead. There, we will take them to a Balinese restaurant for lunch, and then they will check in to their hotel in Nusa Dua. Before we stop at the hotel, there are some souvenir shops that sell typical Balinese souvenirs like barong t-shirts or some keychains.”

      Delete
  11. I will first take them to the nearest Padang restaurant from the airport so that they can have the full experience (seeing the waiters deliver the food using lots of plates with both hands). I will tell them to ditch the spoon and fork and use their hands instead when they eat. Most foreigners will see this as sort of a barbaric act but it’s the norm here! The next thing to do is to visit the national monument. The next morning, I will take all of them for a Car Free Day run. Everyone will have bubur ayam for breakfast and I will make a poll on whether they think it’s better to stir the bubur or just leave it as is (personally, I think it tastes way better when stirred). Afterwards, I will take everyone on a boat ride to Thousand Islands. It’s very nice to enjoy the fresh air, beautiful scenery of clear blue water and relax before we get to our next activity!
    The last activity I have on the agenda is to hop on the next flight to Bali and surf. The waves are perfect for both beginners and experts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “I will first take them to the nearest Padang restaurant from the airport so that they can have the full experience (seeing the waiters deliver the food using lots of plates with both hands).” I think the first priority for your guests after their longhaul flight would not be to eat; I think they’d want to take a shower and get the chance to change their clothes. After that… yes, Padang!

      Suggestion or Question: I don’t really see that there is six days’ worth of planning here.

      My version: “I will tell them to ditch the spoon and fork and use their hands instead when they eat. Most foreigners will see this as sort of a barbaric act but it’s the norm here!”

      Your version: “I will tell them to ditch the spoon and fork and use their hands instead when they eat. Most foreigners see this as sort of a barbaric act but it’s the norm here!”

      Delete
  12. One week is not enough to explore all of Indonesia’s unique attractions. Hence, due to the time constraints, I will only bring them around Jakarta. For the first night, I will bring them to hang out around Jalan Jaksa Street. The place is known to represent nightlife in the enormous capital. There are plenty of small bars and shops along the road as well as street food. Take some time to see the variety of the local bars, and then stop in one of them.

    The next few days will be spent going to different tourist attractions such as visiting the National Monument Monas, walking along the Old Port and visit the Kota Intan Drawbridge. In addition to that, since Central Jakarta is full of skyscrapers, we will be visiting some cafes and restaurants, where they get to enjoy the colorful skyline of the city from there.

    Not to mention, they will be trying a variety of the local cuisine such as nasi padang, bakso, rendang, martabak and many more. As their vacation come to an end, I will bring them to try Indonesian massage on Wednesday. Although Indonesian massage is less popular than the Thai one worldwide, still it is no less effective. Connoisseurs of massage appreciate this activity in Jakarta, which is usually conducted together with a spa treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: The traditional Indonesian massage plus spa treatment.

      Suggestion or Question: Maybe a trip up to Bogor would make a nice break from the Jakarta surroundings?

      My version: “Not to mention, they will be trying a variety of the local cuisine such as nasi padang, bakso, rendang, martabak and many more.”

      Your version: “They will be trying a variety of dishes from the local cuisine such as nasi padang, bakso, rendang, martabak and many more.

      Delete
  13. Honestly, six days isn’t enough to explore Indonesia. However, I’ll try my best. To feel that authentic Indonesian life, I’m going to focus on Indonesian food. Because whenever I go abroad, food is the one thing that I miss the most. So, after they landed at Soekarno-Hatta Airport, I’m going to take them to their hotel to check -n and I’ll let them eat dinner in the hotel. I’ll also take them out to buy martabak afterward. After that, we’re going to go back to the hotel and let them rest.

    On Saturday, I’m going to take them to Yogyakarta by plane. Yogyakarta is a lovely place where its culture is still preserved nicely. Also, the food there is really nice. On this day, I’m going to take them to stroll around The Palace of Yogyakarta, Taman Sari, and Fort Vredeburg since they’re pretty close together. For lunch, I’ll invite them to eat in Gudeg Yu Djum. At night, I’ll take them to Alun-Alun Kidul and enjoy the festive atmosphere there. There’s also an abundance of street foods that we can taste there.

    For the next day, we’re going to go to the Gunungkidul area to enjoy nature. If they’re on the more adventurous side, I’ll take them to Jomblang Cave, a famous cave with great views. If they want a more relaxed visit, I’ll take them to do some cave tubing in Pindul Cave. After that, in the evening, we’re going to go to Ngandong Beach which is located near Pindul Cave, and eat some seafood while waiting for the sunset. We’ll go back to Yogyakarta City Center and rest for the night.

    On the fourth day, we’ll go and visit Merapi. I’m going to take them on a Jeep tour that takes the whole day. Usually, the tour guide will also talk about Merapi’s history so it’ll hopefully be interesting for them. Besides that, the views at Merapi is beautiful. Around four, we’ll go back to Yogyakarta City Center and let them rest for a while. At night, we’ll go and eat the famous sate klathak.

    Tuesday is going to be our last day in Yogyakarta. We’re going to have breakfast in Soto Pak Min, then the flight to Jakarta will be at around 12. When we arrive in Jakarta, we’re going to check in to their hotel and let them relax for a while. We’re going to visit Pantai Indah Kapuk later.

    On Wednesday, we’re going to stroll around Kota Tua and Pasar Baru. There’s a lot of nice street foods in Pasar Baru so I think it’ll be fun to explore them. For the last day, we’re going to stroll around Ancol. Those last two days will be more chill and will include more free time in case they want to do some shopping. I’ll also give them some food recommendations, like soto betawi, kerak telor, and Es Kopi Tak Kie. We’ll go to the airport at two and say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable features of the trip: The following caight my eye: tubing in Pindul Cave, seafood on Ngandong beach, and the “Lava Tour” by jeep.

      Suggestion or Question: I think doing Yogyakarta before doing Jakarta is an interesting idea.

      My version: “On Wednesday, we’re going to stroll around Kota Tua and Pasar Baru. There’s a lot of nice street foods in Pasar Baru so I think it’ll be fun to explore them.”

      Your version: “On Wednesday, we’re going to stroll around Kota Tua and Pasar Baru. I think it’ll be fun to explore these two areas and there’s a lot of nice street food in Pasar Baru.”

      Delete
  14. I will make this trip an authentic journey of exploring Indonesia. When they arrive, I will help them check into a 5-star hotel in Jakarta, and most probably the Mulia Hotel. The next morning, we will be visiting a few famous sites in Jakarta, such as Monas and Taman Mini, and I will take them to tour around Jakarta while trying out the delicious (yet sometimes dirty) street foods. In the evening, we will go to Kota Tua, and ask them to try out one of Jakarta’s most iconic foods; Kerak Telor. Afterwards, we will watch a Wayang show nearby. On the second day, we will take a road trip to Puncak, and the first destination is Taman Safari, so that they can see the diverse species that we conserve. For lunch, we will be eating at Sate Kadir, which is the best lamb satay in Puncak. In the afternoon, we will visit a few tea plantations, and if possible, we will have a tea planting activity. When the night comes, we will buy some grilled corns and eat them at one of those small stalls at the mountain pass. The next three days will be spent in Bandung, and we will check into the most famous 5-star hotel there, namely Trans Hotel Bandung. We will pay a visit to some of the most renowned places, such as Tangkuban Perahu, the hot spring at Ciater, and the floating market. Aside from that, I will also take them to try martabak bandung in the evening, as well as sate padang, which I am sure that they will love so much. Some other foods that I want them to try are chicken porridge, bakso cuangki, as well as nasi padang. As for the fun part, I will take them to De Ranch, in order to experience some awesome activities such as riding a horse while enjoying the amazing scenery at Bandung. Afterwards, I will be taking them to La Fresa, which is a huge garden where we can pick strawberries! Then, we go back to Jakarta, and have dinner at Sate Taichan near Plaza Senayan. On the last day, we will bike around Jakarta in the morning, so that they can explore even better. Before they head over to the airport, we will go to Grand Indonesia and Thamrin City, to see if they have anything to shop there. On our way to Thamrin City from Grand Indonesia, we will go by Bajaj, which is traditional Indonesian transportation that I am sure they will not be able to find elsewhere. Then, they pack their bags, and I will send them off at the airport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: I like the idea of watching a wayang puppet show. Nobody else has had this idea. I also like travelling gy bajai and bike. These are nice touches.

      Suggestion or Question: Can one make “an authentic journey of exploring Indonesia” while staying at international-class five-star hotels? Just a thought.

      My version: “In the afternoon, we will visit a few tea plantations, and if possible, we will have a tea planting activity. When the night comes, we will buy some grilled corns and eat them at one of those small stalls at the mountain pass.”

      Your version: “In the afternoon, we will visit a few tea plantations and, if possible, we will plant some tea. When the night comes, we will buy some grilled corn and eat them at one of those small stalls on the mountain pass.”

      Delete
  15. I figure that, the moment I pick this family up from the airport, they may be quite hungry, tired, and are eager to update their family on how they're doing. As an easy transition to introduce Indonesia to them, I'll take them to a famous restaurant called Sate Khas Senayan. Admittedly, this place resides in a nice mall, but I assure you their food is mind-blowing and I figure they might still be tired from their trip. I'll give them some time to rest in their hotel first before taking them out on the evening ahead. The first night in Jakarta, we'll be walking through the streets of a night market (pasar malam) where they'll be able to see the local kind of 'carnival' with colorful lights guiding their way, cheap food stalls everywhere, sellers yelling for attention, sweaty bodies, and good food. To me, this is peak Indonesian city culture; dirty streets and loud laughter.

    Next day, I'll take them by train to Yogyakarta, where we'll stroll around Jalan Malioboro to check out local artistry and make our own Batik! I'll guide them on how to use the canting (tool for "painting" Batik) whilst telling them the history of why Yogyakarta has more western looking buildings. At night, we'll watch the Raminten Cabaret Show; a local type of drag show with spicy humor serenaded with iconic pop songs! And of course, how could I forget Bali when it comes to Indonesian tourism? We'll catch a flight the very next day to soak in the sunshine and beautiful culture. During the day, we'll visit all the famous restaurants there serving signature local dishes. We'll visit temples with the Batik we made before as part of our outfit (since temples usually don't allow short pants) and feed the infamous temple monkeys. I'll take pictures for them by the sunset, with the unforgettable view and water from the sea reflecting the orange light. When it gets dark and you hear echoes of mean and body percussion, that's when they find out I've bought us tickets to watch Tari Kecak, where Balinese men gather in a big circle around a fire humming a tune praise their gods. It's not only a sight for the eyes, but as you sit there with the crowd surrounding a circle, you'll feel like you're part of a big picture in life and start to feel the intrinsic beauty in Indonesia's rich culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “I'll take them by train to Yogyakarta, where we'll stroll around Jalan Malioboro to check out local artistry and make our own Batik!” I like the train journey idea. I like the strolling around idea. I like the idea of lookinmg at local artists and their work. And the idea of having a go at making some batik is a great detail.

      Suggestion or Question: I also like the idea of watching the Raminten Cabaret Show.

      My version: “When it gets dark and you hear echoes of mean and body percussion, that's when they find out I've bought us tickets to watch Tari Kecak, where Balinese men gather in a big circle around a fire humming a tune praise their gods.”

      Your version: “When it gets dark and they can hear echoes of men (?) and body percussion, that's when they will find out I've bought us tickets to watch Tari Kecak. This is where Balinese men gather in a big circle around a fire humming a tune praise their gods.”

      Delete
  16. Upon their arrival, I will take them to a 5-star hotel located in South Jakarta and let them rest after a long flight. The next morning I will take them to Padang restaurant such as Pagi Sore or Sederhana. These two restaurant has some tasty Padang food that tourist from other countries will enjoy. After that, I will bring them to go to Monas and afford views in all directions across the city from the observation deck at the top of the tower. Aside from that, I will also explore the ancient Jakarta at Kota Tua and let the tourist stroll through the beautiful Fatahillah Square, which is surrounded on all sides by Dutch-style buildings that house wonders like the Wayang Museum (dedicated to puppetry) and the Fine Art and Ceramics Museum.

    The third day I will bring them to Malang on a 1 hour and 30 minutes flight. We will join the Bromo Midnight Trip, in which the guide will pick us up from our hotel at around 11 pm. We will watch the sunrise in Panajakan, which is the most popular location in Mount Bromo where people watch the sunrise and take pictures. After that we can ride a horse down a place called "pasir berbisik" and enjoy the view there. For the rest of the day we can go explore Malang food such as Baso Malang and go back to the hotel once its late already.

    The Fourth day, we can swim and have fun in the Hawai Waterpark Malang and spend our evening there. We can eat some Indonesia cuisine in the waterpark and explore the exquisite botanic gardens of Selecta Recreation Park. We can also take some pictures there. At night, we can go to Malang Night paradise in which the tourist can enjoy all the rides and games that are available there.

    The next morning we can go to Bali and soak up some rays at Bali’s best beaches such as Kuta or Canggu beach. After that we can get wet with some wild water sports
    and try jet skiing, banana boating, wake boarding and jet packing. This activities would last until the evening. Im sure we will be hungry so the next thing to do is eat like a local at a roadside warung. A warung is a small locally-owned restaurant that typically serves traditional Indonesian and Balinese dishes.

    The last day, we can just enjoy the island by riding in a scooter. The quickest way to get around Bali is without doubt by scooter, and you can rent a trusty two-wheeled whip from almost every corner of the island, available for daily, weekly and monthly hire. The tourist can book a flight back at night so that they can enjoy their last day fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: This sounds exciting: “After that we can get wet with some wild water sports and try jet skiing, banana boating, wake boarding and jet packing.”

      Suggestion or Question: So they would fly back to Europe from Denpassar?

      My version: “The third day I will bring them to Malang on a 1 hour and 30 minutes flight. We will join the Bromo Midnight Trip, in which the guide will pick us up from our hotel at around 11 pm. We will watch the sunrise in Panajakan, which is the most popular location in Mount Bromo where people watch the sunrise and take pictures.”

      Your version: “On the third day, I will bring them to Malang on a 1 hour and 30-minute flight. We will join the Bromo Midnight Trip. The guide will pick us up from our hotel at around 11 pm. We will go to Panajakan, which is the most popular location in Mount Bromo for people to watch the sunrise and take pictures.”

      Delete
  17. The first thing i want to do when they arrived is take them to a hotel, I would choose Hotel Indonesia cause it’s located in the heart of the city. The next morning, we could start flexing our breath around the National Monumen then onto Bundaran HI. Indonesian food is quite different from that origin of western, they like to put up many spices on it. If the kids are vegetarian, perhaps they would like gado-gado or ketoprak. But if they don’t, Soto Tangkar or Nasi Uduk will surely hit the tounge. In the midday, we could go to many historical and aesthetic sites, for instance the Istiqlal Mosque that sits right next to Jakarta Cathedral. If the children want to experience their dreams, Kidzania is the place. Then at evening, we will enjoy sunset at the Sunda Kelapa harbor.

    The next day, we will spend the whole day having fun at Dunia Fantasi then splashing around in Atlantis Water Adventures and Ancol. And at night we will board our plane to Yogyakarta.

    After arriving and resting at my house, we could look up at the sunrise at the foot of Mount Merapi while hunting for sweet breakfasts, they are Nasi Gudeg and Lupis. After that when the sun is rising at our heads, we could visit the two biggest temples in the land, Borobudur and Prambanan, and classical places like the Sultan’s Palace and Vredeburg Fort. And at night, we could check-in at President Obama’s staying, Hotel tentrem that is, while taking a walk at the city’s icon, Malioboro street. Then on day 4th, we will get lunch at Bumi Langit, where Obama were also went there too, while in the afternoon, we’re taking sandboard at Gumuk Pasir. And at the end of the day, we’ll enjoy fine dining at the hotel and then fly to Bali.

    In the morning, we could enjoy the gentle waves at Nusa Dua beach and then learning new cultures at Nyaman Galeri while in the night we could watching the Kecak Dance in Uluwatu Temple.

    In our last day after check-in at Tanah Lot, we could drive to Tegalang rice terrace, then refreshing our bod in Tegenungan waterfall. And In the evening, we could gaze at the sunset in the famous cliff of Nusa Penida while finishing the day shopping for souvenirs. After the whole trip, we will drive to Ngurah Rai Airport and part ways as you go to Soekarno-Hatta then fly home to Europe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: I like the idea of a visit, at night, to watch the Kecak Dance at Uluwatu Temple

      Suggestion or Question: Visiting both Borobudur and Prambanan on the same day can be quite exhausting. Perhaps, if they were visited on different days, each of them would be more appreciated.

      My version: “The first thing i want to do when they arrived is take them to a hotel, I would choose Hotel Indonesia cause it’s located in the heart of the city. The next morning, we could start flexing our breath around the National Monumen then onto Bundaran HI. Indonesian food is quite different from that origin of western, they like to put up many spices on it.”

      Your version: “The first thing I want to do when they arrive is take them to a hotel. I would choose Hotel Indonesia because it’s located in the heart of the city. The next morning, we could start our sightseeing around the National Monumen and then Bundaran HI. Indonesian food is quite different from western food; we like to put up many spices in it.”

      Delete
  18. As soon as they arrived, the first place I would take them to is the Spa, because Spa and relaxation is all you need after a long flight from Europe. Particularly, I would take them to a traditional Spa, so that they can feel the Indonesian feeling in the treatment. On the second day, I will invite them to enjoy authentic culinary treats from Indonesia. This time, my choice fell on nasi padang, because for me, nasi padang was undoubtedly the best when it comes to Indonesian cuisine. For the rest of the day, I will take them to taste the street food of Jakarta, including all the dirty cooking oil, all the unhealthy ingredients, and of course the unhygienic serving below the burning sun and city lights of Jakarta, so that they can cherish the moment of being one Jakarta citizen for the day. For the rest of the night, I will take them to a local club, just to feel the different ambience between European and Indonesian clubs.
    For the following three days, starting from Sunday until Tuesday, I’ve planned a trip to the Gili Islands in West Nusa Tengggara. I choose Gili Islands because the beach is so beautiful and natural, plus, there are very few motorized vehicles that make the air clean and soothing, so that we can enjoy the most of this tropical beauty. After spending the most tropical three days in Gili Islands, we will head back to the metropolis city of Jakarta. I will use the last day to explore the city by taking public transport, while feeling the hustle and bustle of everyday life for Jakartans. Before heading back to Europe, we will have a mandatory session of buying souvenirs.
    I think this trip would be unforgettable, not only for them , but for me too, as I have never experienced such a luxurious trip like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: I like the idea of a visit to the spa as the first on the list of things to do. However, they might be more relaxed if they have a shower and change their clothes in the hotel first.

      Suggestion or Question: Your itinerary is a bit short on sightseeing, but that’s OK. Three days on the Gili Islands is probably a better idea than spending only one day there, especially if the objective is to experience the ‘tropical paradise’ vibe.

      My version: “On the second day, I will invite them to enjoy authentic culinary treats from Indonesia. This time, my choice fell on nasi padang, because for me, nasi padang was undoubtedly the best when it comes to Indonesian cuisine.”

      Your version: “On the second day, I will invite them to enjoy authentic culinary treats from Indonesia. My choice would be Padang food because, for me, this cuisine is undoubtedly the best the country has to offer and restaurants serving it are found all over Indonesia.”

      Delete
  19. I would probably take them to do cliche "Bule" things when they visit Indonesia but I would take them somewhere else other than Bali and Lombok because its already too mainstream nowadays to serve and chill on the beaches of these island. I would take them to explore Nusa Tenggara Timur. Its gonna be a 4 day trip on those islands were gonna take a plane to either Raja Ampat, Sumba or Labuan Bajo. Any of those places will create an ever lasting experience for guests. There were gonna live on a boat, somewhat mini yacht but not really. Were also gonna have to interact with locals there since its a tradition for them to greet guesses. If we do visit Labuan banjo there will be an abundance of manta rays, diverse species of sharks, turtles, untouched corals, drift dive opportunities and unimaginable underwater landscapes complete with a dive site with more species of fish than the entire Caribbean. We could also visit the Komodo Island and see a species of big lizard unique to Indonesia. Eat with the locals and try local foods is gonna be a great experience because not only that were gonna learn about their culture we could also make friends with them. Thats my way of treating my guest to an unforgettable experience in Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: I like your overall reasoning about what what to do but then I think it’s a good descision, even in light of that, to avoid Bali and Lombok.

      Suggestion or Question: Raja Ampat is not in Nusa Tenggara Timur; just saying.

      My version: “There were gonna live on a boat, somewhat mini yacht but not really. Were also gonna have to interact with locals there since its a tradition for them to greet guesses.”

      Your version: “There, we’re going to live on a boat – something similar to a mini yacht. We’re also going to have to interact with locals there since it’s a tradition for them to greet guests.”

      Delete
  20. For the first night in Indonesia, I will pick them up from the Soekarno-Hatta Airport and will let them rest in a luxury hotel in Jakarta first. On the next morning, for breakfast, I will take them to eat chicken porridge on the side of the road while enjoying the touch of the morning sunlight. We will spend the Saturday by visiting iconic places like monas and museums in its surroundings. The next day, Sunday, I'm gonna kidnap them to Taman Safari in Puncak because not many zoos offering interaction with that close proximity. We eat and sleep there for a night in the Safari Lodge Caravan Hotel. Before we go back to Jakarta on Monday, I'm gonna take them to eat breakfast in Cimory Riverside. Then, when we arrive in Jakarta, we're gonna spend the afternoon until evening in Kota Tua, ride a boat in Sunda Kelapa Harbor, and just chill there making conversations with other local tourists. There's a unique thing I want to try that day. So, we're not gonna sleep in a luxury hotel, we will book a room in a three-starred hotel that people in Jakarta usually use for a one night stand. It will be an interesting experience. On Tuesday we will go on a city tour with the busway and KRL. Also, we will go to Tanah Abang to feel the air there. The next day, we will spend a full day in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah to learn more about cultures that spread all over Indonesia. On Thursday morning, we will have breakfast on a warmindo and spend a little bit of time taking a double-decker bus city tour before going back to Soekarno-Hatta Airport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “On the next morning, for breakfast, I will take them to eat chicken porridge on the side of the road while enjoying the touch of the morning sunlight.” The perfect contrast to staying in the luxury hotel.

      Suggestion or Question: “There's a unique thing I want to try that day. So, we're not gonna sleep in a luxury hotel, we will book a room in a three-starred hotel that people in Jakarta usually use for a one night stand.” This is a good idea, but I think you mean “…we will book a room in a three-starred hotel that people in Jakarta usually use for one night stays.” A “one night stand” is an idiomatic expression that means: “a sexual relationship lasting only one night” or, sometimes it is used to refer to “a single performance of a play or show in a particular place”.

      My version: “The next day, we will spend a full day in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah to learn more about cultures that spread all over Indonesia. On Thursday morning, we will have breakfast on a warmindo…”

      Your version: “The next day, we will spend a full day at Taman Mini Indonesia Indah to learn more about the cultures that are spread all over Indonesia. On Thursday morning, we will have a simple breakfast at a warmindo foodstall…”

      Delete
  21. part 1
    On the first day, I’d let the pair rest first at the Fairmont Hotel in Jakarta, the first hotel for their 6-day stay in Indonesia. There, the two can choose to nap, shower, take a stroll around the vast space of the hotel, or maybe all three. Then, for a late lunch, I’d take them to a very trendy, Jakarta-society restaurant, Cork and Screw Country Club in Senayan, which is conveniently very close to the Fairmont. There, we’d relax at the poolside lounge chairs, sipping away at our lychee ice teas and taking bites of elevated Italian and Indonesian food. After our late lunch where we get to enjoy the gorgeous view of the setting sun with the lapping of the pool water in our ears, we’d get the bill and head along to the Istora Senayan MRT Station by foot. In South Jakarta, some of the best cityscape views are available in Senayan, and the sidewalks are very large, which makes it the perfect place for a late afternoon stroll. After a very quick ride from Istora Senayan to Blok M, we’ll get off the MRT and have a brief walk to M Bloc. There are several interesting things to enjoy at the oldschool-style M Bloc, like the quaint little shops selling beautiful local-made products and brands, a record store, and live music. We’d spend time looking at the items being sold in several stores and after having had enough of shopping, we’d have coffee and a quick bite at Oeang, one of the restaurants found inside M Bloc. After a whole day of luxurious food, sights and relaxing strolls, we’d get back to the hotel to rest for the next day.
    The first thing we’d do today after waking up is get showered and have breakfast at the hotel. Then, we’d head to Kota Tua by car and rent one of those adorable neon-colored bicycles, and take turns taking the other for a ride. After enjoying the Dutch-colonial buildings in Kota Tua, I’d take them to the several museums in Kota Tua, like the Bank Indonesia Museum and the Batavia Museum. To stave off their (possible) rumbling tummies, we’d head to Ragusa Ice Cream and have a quick break as we enjoy the coolness of Ragusa’s old-style ice cream. After a few hours learning about history in the museums, we’d go to Monas, check out the museum underneath it, and climb the whole staircase to the top. Finally, after a totally tourist-y day in Jakarta, we’d have dinner at Gioi, which is located in Menteng. There, I’d make them try Gioi’s delicious salmon lodeh, which is basically a very flavorsome meal with boiled pumpkin, green beans, corn and salmon, served with a rich, reddish, coconut milk broth. After dinner, Fairmont would be our final destination, where we’d pack up for the trip the following morning.
    On the third day, we’d immediately head to the airport after breakfast and checking out at the hotel. There, we’d take a private plane to Bangka Belitung. Belitung is an island a few hours away by plane from Jakarta, rich with beautiful sights, beaches and winding roads with no streetlights at all. After arriving at Belitung, we’d check into the lovely Arumdalu Private Resort to check in, drop off our luggage, and have a quick lunch of fried duck and well-cooked shellfish. After lunch, we’d head back to the ports and use a small speedboat for island hopping. We’d visit the several tiny islands scattered all around Bangka Belitung and do some snorkeling as well as some canoeing. These tiny islands usually disappear when the tide has picked up because it gets covered up by the rising water levels. Finally, after the sun has start to set, we’d get back on the speedboat and return to Bangka Belitung. After dinner at the resort, the final thing on today’s to do list would be setting up a mat on the wooden backdeck of our private resort and do some stargazing. The stars in Bangka Belitung at night are extremely prominent because the sky is pitch black and there’s a lack of pollution and bright lights.

    ReplyDelete
  22. part 2
    On the fourth day, after a lovely night spent at Bangka Belitung, we’d pack up again, have breakfast at the resort, and take the private plane to Central Kalimantan. On arrival, we’d immediately head to the Swiss-Bellhotel in Palangkaraya to check in and leave our luggage. Then, we’d have lunch at Tjilik Riwut, where we’d try Dayak cuisine such as fish soup with rattan shoots, fried rice with salted fish and fried brinjals. After lunch, we’d head to the Tanjung Puting National Park for a cruise on the Sekonyer River. There on the cruise, we’d get to enjoy the warm sun and sights of rainforest with orangutans gliding from and hanging around the treetops right beside the river. After enjoying the sunset on the boat, we’d return to the hotel for an earlier night in than previous nights and have some free time of our own. Then, we’d have a delicious dinner feasting on Kalimantan’s most prominent local meal, fire-grilled fish.
    On our second to last day, after a quick breakfast at the hotel, we’d head to an orphanage in Palangkaraya and get to know the children better. There, we can learn more about the community and the locals, and really interact with them. Having experienced this once myself, I fell in love with the children at the orphanage and my heart warmed when I got to know them bettter. We’d have another grilled fish late lunch (grilled fish in Kalimantan is extremely delicious, just FYI) with the children before bidding them a farewell. Then, we would go back to the hotel, maybe just to freshen up and shower, then head off again to Melawai Beach. We’d lounge on the warm sand with the sound of the tide crashing against the shore in our ears, splash around in the salty water, and enjoy the sunset from the beach. After dinner on the beach as well, we’d return to the hotel feeling extremely happy and blessed.
    On the last day before their return to Europe, we’d take the first flight out to Jakarta’s Soekarno-Hatta International Airport. Upon arrival in Jakarta, we’d head to the Westin Hotel and have a very nice and relaxing spa day. After five days of nonstop traveling and activities, they’d probably feel extremely burned out, so this would be a nice little pitstop before heading back to Europe. After several hours of spa and relaxation treatments, we’d have a buffet at the Westin’s Seasonal Tastes restaurant for lunch. There, the restaurant serves up Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Italian and Indonesian cuisine for lunch, along with a bunch of mouthwatering desserts. After lunch, we’d head to Gelora Bung Karno’s park and set up a little picnic carpet on the grass. There, we’d get to admire the beautiful skyscrapers of Sudirman and Senayan, spend time just lounging away and talking, and eventually, enjoy the sunset. After that, we’d head back to Soekarno-Hatta, they’d check in to their flight, and finally leave aboard a Boeing-777 back to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: Well done for your epic planning! I like your plan for the final day. A picnic in Gelora Bung Karno park? Great idea. A chance to chat about all the things you will have done and all the experiences you have had.

      Suggestion or Question: I like this idea very much too: “we’d head to an orphanage in Palangkaraya and get to know the children better. There, we can learn more about the community and the locals, and really interact with them. Having experienced this once myself, I fell in love with the children at the orphanage and my heart warmed when I got to know them bettter.”

      My version: “After enjoying the Dutch-colonial buildings in Kota Tua, I’d take them to the several museums in Kota Tua, like the Bank Indonesia Museum and the Batavia Museum. To stave off their (possible) rumbling tummies, we’d head to Ragusa Ice Cream and have a quick break as we enjoy the coolness of Ragusa’s old-style ice cream.”

      Your version: “After enjoying the Dutch-colonial buildings in Kota Tua, I’d take them to the several museums in the area, like the Bank Indonesia Museum and the Batavia Museum. To cater to their (possibly) rumbling tummies, we’d head to Ragusa Ice Cream and have a quick break as we enjoy the coolness of the café’s old-fashioned desserts.”

      Delete
  23. After a long and exhausting flight they must be so tired, so I’ll just drive them to a comfortable hotel in Jakarta area. After they spend one night to heal themselves, in the morning we stroll around the city. The main purpose of the first day trip is photo hunting! We prepare our own cameras, digital or analog, to captures beautiful memories that we make. Kota Tua would be a lovely spot for that. After strolling around, we will have some lunch with essential Indonesian cuisine, nasi padang, as the menu. The last thing we are going to do in Jakarta in dinner. This would not be a regular dinner since I would take them to Namaz Dining. It is a unique fancy restaurant that serve the foods with a concept, thus that would be a great dinner experience. Thinking of something rare in Europe, I would like to take them to the area of Central Java and Yogyakarta for the next 4 days. We will take a flight to Yogyakarta and spend 2 days there to enjoy the beautiful city. The first day in Yogyakarta, I would like to take them to stroll around Keraton Yogyakarta and Malioboro area. Those two places are iconic and couldn’t be find anywhere else. In the morning we will have Gudeg as our breakfast and spend the day in Keraton Yogyakarta and Malioboro. We will take a break and go chilling in a coffee shop while waiting for the sunset. After that, we spend couple more hours in Alun-Alun to ride Sepeda Gowes. The next day, we went for a picnic trip to Waduk Sermo. In Tuesday, we will visit Banyuwangi and spend two days there. Banyuwangi has a great destination for tourist such as beach, spot for snorkeling, etc. In Tuesday morning we fly back to Jakarta before going to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “The last thing we are going to do in Jakarta is dine out. This would not be a regular dinner since I would take them to Namaz Dining. It is a unique, fancy restaurant that serve dishes with a concept, thus this would be a great dinning experience.”

      Suggestion or Question: Four days in Yogyakarta means there’s long enough to get measured, buy cloth, and have a tailorr make some clothes (batik perhaps?) to bring back to Europe. Shopping for cloth and maybe watching tailors work would be memorable experiences.

      My version: “After a long and exhausting flight they must be so tired, so I’ll just drive them to a comfortable hotel in Jakarta area. After they spend one night to heal themselves, in the morning we stroll around the city. The main purpose of the first day trip is photo hunting! We prepare our own cameras, digital or analog, to captures beautiful memories that we make.”

      Your version: “After a long and exhausting flight they will surely be very tired, so I’ll just drive them to a comfortable hotel in Jakarta. After they spend one night resting and recouping, in the morning, we stroll around the city. The main purpose of the first day of this trip is photo hunting! We will prepare our cameras, digital or analog, to capture the beautiful memories that we will make.”

      Delete
  24. Indonesia is a beautiful country in terms of its culture and maybe its people too. So, having guests to be guided in Indonesia is quite simple, to be honest. As you all know, the food in Indonesia is so vary and not just its food, but Indonesia has very good scenery and the environment around some places.
    So, my guiding plan for my guests is first, we need to visit Jakarta because there will be so many food destinations in Jakarta. We will start by eating street food in Jakarta, whether we’ll eat some ketoprak or gado-gado in the morning and martabak or sate ayam in the evening, but of course they will decide the food. Because we are already in Jakarta it’ll be best if I take them to some famous places in Jakarta by using angkot or even becak to give them the Indonesian experiences. The places we’ll visit will be monas, museum macan, kota tua, and maybe some trip to pulau seribu. After all of this food and touring trip the best last thing I can give them is by visiting the Indonesian souvenir shop. It won’t be a proper journey if you don’t bring back some souvenirs right? They will get their keychain, their batik, and many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “I (will) take them to some famous places in Jakarta by using angkot or even becak…”. This is a nice, authentic touch.

      Suggestion or Question: I don’t really see six days’ worth of planning here.

      My version: “So, my guiding plan for my guests is first, we need to visit Jakarta because there will be so many food destinations in Jakarta. We will start by eating street food in Jakarta, whether we’ll eat some ketoprak or gado-gado in the morning and martabak or sate ayam in the evening, but of course they will decide the food.”

      Your version: “So, my guiding plan for my guests is, first, we need to visit Jakarta because there will be so many food destinations in the city. We will start by eating street food, whether it’s eat ketoprak or gado-gado in the morning and martabak or sate ayam in the evening. However, of course, they will get to decide what they eat.”

      Delete
  25. If i want to give them an authentic indonesian experience than after they arrive at soekarno hatta airport, i will immediately book a ticket to Bali and Raja Ampat. These 2 locations are full of diverse culture that is in Indonesia. For me, Jakarta doesnt have any kind of authentic things that they are looking for, because Jakarta is just another capital filled with pollution and traffic jams. When i got to Bali, I will of course bring them on a once in a lifetime culinary adventure and of course to the wonderul beaches around the city and even view some art performances like Kecak Dance. In Bali, we will not be staying in a 5 star hotel, because that doesnt give them the full experience but, we will be staying in resorts near the beach so preferably a traditional style resort where they will experience the hospitality of Balinese people. Raja Ampat on the other hand will offer them a completely opposite experience, they will be able to do all sorts of outdoor activities like diving and surfing, not to mention the beauty of Raja Ampat’s sea will carve this trip deep inside their memory. On their very last day, I will bring them back to Jakarta to prepare for their return to Europe, but on that last day, i will take them to Monas just to take some picture, because visiting Indonesia without taking some picture in Monas seems incomplete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memorable feature of the trip: “In Bali, we will not be staying in a 5 star hotel, because that doesnt give them the full experience but, we will be staying in resorts near the beach so preferably a traditional style resort where they will experience the hospitality of Balinese people.” This is a good idea.

      Suggestion or Question: “For me, Jakarta doesnt have any kind of authentic things that they are looking for, because Jakarta is just another capital filled with pollution and traffic jams.” This is an interesting point of view that I sympathize with (apologies to Jakartan EWS students!)

      My version: “Raja Ampat on the other hand will offer them a completely opposite experience, they will be able to do all sorts of outdoor activities like diving and surfing, not to mention the beauty of Raja Ampat’s sea will carve this trip deep inside their memory. On their very last day, I will bring them back to Jakarta to prepare for their return to Europe, but on that last day, i will take them to Monas just to take some picture, because visiting Indonesia without taking some picture in Monas seems incomplete.”

      Your version: “Raja Ampat, on the other hand, will offer them a completely opposite experience; they will be able to do all sorts of outdoor activities like diving and surfing, not to mention see the beauty of the ocean around Raja Ampat sea which will carve this trip deep into their memory. On their very last day, I will bring them back to Jakarta to prepare for their return to Europe, but on that last day, i will take them to Monas just to take some pictures, because visiting Indonesia without taking some picture of the national monument will seem incomplete.”

      Delete