Session 5 Assignment
You plan to live in a homestay when you study in Europe in 2021 and you have already arranged this with the family who will host you.
They want to send their son and daughter to Indonesia for a whirlwind trip lasting six days and you will be their host and guide.
They arrive on a Friday evening at Soekarno-Hatta airport and they catch a flight back to Europe on the following Thursday in the early evening.
The three of you have a budget that covers five nights in luxury hotels, all food and drink, cars and drivers as necessary, and 20 hours of flights (for each of you) if you need them.
While visiting famous sites is inevitably going to be part of your plan, what you REALLY want to do is to give them an authentic, diverse and fascinating taste of Indonesian life.
So, use your imagination and try to think outside the box. Remember, it's the "little things" that may seem nothing special to you that can be the details that your guests will never forget.
Write a 200-300 summary of your plan for their trip with details of what you will do, see and eat every day during their stay here.

The first thing I’m gonna do is to pick them up at the airport. They arrive in the evening, so they would probably be very tired so I will just take them for a quick dinner, maybe a Sundanese restaurant near the airport and then take them to stay in The Mulia Hotel. The next day, I will take them around Jakarta. The first place would be the old town like maybe visiting a museum and riding a bike. Then we will go around the city for a while until the evening. After that we go to GBK to enjoy the view. The next day, I want to take them to Jogja, we will go by plane there and arrive in Jogja in the morning. I will take them to Borobudur temple and prambanan temple first because I think it is a must visit place for tourist and I also will take them to Malioboro. In Malioboro, I will take them around by becak and andong. We will eat a lot of great food such as Gudeg Yu Djum, Ayam Tojoyo, Lotek Bu Bagyo. In Jogja, we will stay in Tentrem Hotel for 2 nights and 2 nights in Marriott Hotel. The second day in Jogja, I will take them to bukit bintang and Hutan Pinus. There is a really nice Thiwul near the Hutan Pinus called Thiwul Mbok Sum, I will definitely ask them to try it. The third day, I will take them to the beach in Gunung Kidul to eat seafoods. After that I will take them to Kopi Merapi, Kaliurang to enjoy the the chill air and eat some indomie. The last day, we will go back to Jakarta, and then take them to the airport to say goodbye.
ReplyDeleteNoteworthy element: “In Malioboro, I will take them around by becak and andong. We will eat a lot of great food such as Gudeg Yu Djum, Ayam Tojoyo, Lotek Bu Bagyo. In Jogja, we will stay in Tentrem Hotel for two nights and two nights in Marriott Hotel.” I think basing the visit in Yogyakarta is a good idea.
DeleteSuggestion or Question: I doubt that people disembarking from a longhaul flight would be especially hungry. I think their first priority would be to get out of their clothes and into a shower!
Your version: “The next day, I want to take them to Jogja, we will go by plane there and arrive in Jogja in the morning.”
My version: “The next day, I want to take them to Jogja, and we will arrive there by plane in the morning.”
As the host and guide of this trip I will have us travel around Java. The first couple of days will be in Surabaya, there aren't many tourist site in Surabaya but the food in Surabaya is the best out of all city in Java. In Surabaya I would have them stay in Shangri-la hotel as it is close to my own home. In the first day I will bring them to my favourite local restaurant in Surabaya which is Leko, I want them to have a little taste of Indonesian style barbeque ribs and I want the to experience spicy Indonesian food are as I believe there aren't many spicy food in Europe. After the culinary experience is finished I will bring them to Monumen Tugu Pahlawan and Museum Sepuluh Nopember Surabaya to learn a little more about Indonesia before there even was Indonesia. The 2nd day I will bring them to Madura and see the the gloriou Suramadu bridge and while we're there I will bring them to bebek sinjay to experience the best duck in the whole country. The next day I will rent a bus for 4 days in those 4 days I will bring them to Yogyakarta to experience javanese culture more and eventually bring them to Jakarta. After visiting Yogyakarta I will have them try rafting near the mountain the scenery is beautiful. That's my travel plan for the children of my host family in Europe.
ReplyDeleteAlby, I presume?
DeleteNoteworthy element: You are the only person to have Surabaya feature so prominently in their plan so far.
Suggestion or Question: Can people fly directly to Surabaya from Europe?
Your version: “The first couple of days will be in Surabaya, there aren't many tourist site in Surabaya but the food in Surabaya is the best out of all city in Java. In Surabaya I would have them stay in Shangri-la hotel as it is close to my own home.”
My version: “The first couple of days will be spent in Surabaya. Although there aren't many tourist sites in the city, the food there is the best in Java. I would have them stay at the Shangri-La Hotel as it is close to my home.”
As soon as they arrived on that evening, I will pick them up to the hotel and then I will ask them to have dinner on the hotel for the convenience. On the next morning at 10 a.m., I will get them to go to Kota Tua and explore the nearby areas by trying the local street food for example Kerak Telor or even random gorengan stall there. After exploring a bit of the local taste of the metropolitan, we would then go to the hotel and prepare for the flight to Jogja at 6 p.m.
ReplyDeleteThat Friday evening, right after from the airport I will bring them to Malioboro and booked the hotel there. I will bring them outside, to enjoy the late view of Malioboro with the local instrument while having dinner at the local angkringans there. The next morning, I will bring them to explore Pasar Beringharjo, have local breakfast there and go shopping there. Most importantly, I will teach them how to bargain! Since it is very important to not get ripped of by the sellers since they are tourists. That evening until 9 p.m. , I will bring them to Prawirotaman and enjoy non-local foods. At around 2 a.m. in the Sunday morning, I wil drive them to Borobudur so that we can enjoy the sunrise and have a breakfast with the beautiful view. We will come back to the hotel on around 2 p.m. and I will let them to have a total rest before going to Bali on the Monday afternoon.
After we arrive at Bali, we will go to the luxury spa on Ubud and explore the local places until Wednesday before going back to Soekarno Hatta Airport that Thursday morning .
Noteworthy element: “The next morning, I will bring them to explore Pasar Beringharjo, have local breakfast, and go shopping there. Most importantly, I will teach them how to bargain!”
DeleteSuggestion or Question: Prawirotaman has some nice places to eat. There’s a place that screens live football from the UK in the evening. It might be fun to eat and drink among a load of noisy Indonesian football fans.
Your version: “At around 2 a.m. in the Sunday morning, I wil drive them to Borobudur so that we can enjoy the sunrise and have a breakfast with the beautiful view. We will come back to the hotel on around 2 p.m. and I will let them to have a total rest before going to Bali on the Monday afternoon.”
My version: “At around 2 a.m. on Sunday morning, I will drive them to Borobudur so that we can enjoy the sunrise and have breakfast with the beautiful view. We will come back to the hotel at around 2 p.m. and I will let them have a total rest before going to Bali on the Monday afternoon.”
What i will do with them as soon as they arrived in Soekarno Hatta International Airport is directly buying them plane tickets to go to Sumba, Nusa Tenggara Timur since i have never been there.
ReplyDeleteIn our first day as we landed in Sumba, i will contact a travel agent just to simplify everythinh so we can just enjoy our holiday. After meeting the travel agent, we are going to eat sea food in a beach shore just to relax from our tiring flight and go directly to Nihi Sumba, the world’s best resort (2016-2017). Since it is a private resort, we will be playing watersports and even releasing baby turtles to the ocean.
The second day, we will be going to Lapangan Pasila Lamboya to see the local’s fighting on a horse as their tradition. Many foreigner come to see this tradition even if they need to cross islands. After we watch the tradition, we decided to go back to the hotel since we dont want to waste our money after payed $15.747 resort by eating outside the resort.
The third day, we decide to visit desa Ratenggaro to see a traditional houses build with a pyramid roof and also we are going to visit a private beach near Desa Ratenggaro just to take some Instagram pictures.
The fourth day, their son named Adrian insisting to go back to Jakarta because he just relized that his money was lost while doing the trip. Because of that, Adrian booked us the first class plane tickets. After arriving in Jakarta, his mom transferred him billion dollars to spend on the rest of the holidays. So, i decided to book them a president suite in Rafless Hotel just because King Salman had stayed there during his latest visit in Indonesia. To spent the fourth day, we decided just to chill inside of our suite and playing board games.
The fifth day, we decided to go to malls and buying some luxury brands and go to kota tua just to take some pictures. Also, i decided to ask them wether they want to visit The National Monument or no and they agreed with me.
In our sixth or last day, i booked them the first class plane tickets in the morning and do the farewell party before they leave Indonesia. It was such a memorable story for me and hopefully for them too.
Noteworthy element: A long and detailed plan! The idea to make Sumba the centrepiece if your itinerary is original.
DeleteSuggestion or Question: Many, many people have named their children after me (including daughters named Adriana). I wonder if the Adrian mentioned in your plan is one of them.
Your version: “The fifth day, we decided to go to malls and buying some luxury brands and go to kota tua just to take some pictures. Also, i decided to ask them wether they want to visit The National Monument or no and they agreed with me.”
My version: “On the fifth day, we will go to malls and buy some luxury brands and go to Kota Tua just to take some pictures. Also, I will ask them whether they want to visit The National Monument.”
The first thing I would do is to introduce my friends to my chaffeurs. From experience, my mates from Australia actually said that it wasn't the cuisine, the culture or the photos that made them remember Indonesia but it was the experience they shared with my chaffeurs. I'd act as a translator of some kind and they thoroughly enjoyed having one-off interactions we still joke about until today.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't want to book hotels at fancy places, I'd want to book AirBnBs somewhere relatively quiet so we can have drinks, serenity and smokes while conversing through the night.
I'd also show them the corruption that is rampant throughout the country. If the vehicle we are in gets stopped by police, we can easily pay them and it would all be fine.
Depending on the guests, I'd also try to make them look like an Indonesian so we would pay less money to enter venues. I did this once and failed miserably.
Road rules also really seem to get people. They can really stress those who are foreign to the laws to the point where they'd want to close their eyes through the journey.
The most memorable thing that I can offer to my new friends which will definitely stick for the rest of their lives is spontaneous adventures with random people. I've gone to places I wouldn't have if it weren't for that one person who initiated a conversation with me. This really just takes the cake because from my experience of hosting my friends twice in Indonesia, spontaneous interactions are the ones that will make you remember this country.
Noteworthy element: This plan emphasizes the nature of the experience and allowing them to learn about what life and people are like rather than specifying what these “spontaneous adventures with random people” might actually consist of. Your plan would therefore depend heavily on the sponteneity and curiosity of your guests.
DeleteSuggestion or Question: Maybe you need to line up some key people that you will introduce to your guests for each day. This sounds like a tricky thing to do. Maybe the leaders of certain groups?
Your version: “This really just takes the cake” (or “takes the biscuit”): Negative meaning.
My version: “(something positive… “wins the day”, “beats all alternatives”, “works the best” etc. )”
Alright, here’s the plan you two.
ReplyDeleteThe first thing to do is to, of course, pick the both of you up at the airport. We’ll probably have dinner there as well, in KFC specifically. After that, I’d take you to the hotel I booked, which is the Ritz-Carlton, and let the both of you rest. No need to fully exhaust yourselves on the first day.
Saturday, the second day. The first thing I’m going to do is to take you two to a cycling trip. Since we’re already pretty near Gelora Bung Karno Stadium, we’re going to explore it and the surrounding areas with bikes. After that, I’d take the two of you to lunch at Kota Tua Jakarta, specifically Café Batavia. I heard there were some delicious foods there. We’re going to spend most of the afternoon in Kota Tua. We’re going to visit the Wayang Museum, and after that, we’re going to explore around Kota Tua. We’re probably going to be there until around 15.00. Afterwards, I’m going to take the two of you to Ancol to see the sunset. I promise it’ll be gorgeous. After seeing the sunset, we’d spend a bit of time in Ottoman’s Coffee Brewers, before returning to the hotel to rest.
For Sunday, we’re going to be doing things a bit differently. First, I would actually take the both of you to Tanah Kusir to pay a few of my relatives a visit. By Tanah Kusir, I mean the graveyard. After that, we’re going to eat breakfast at Bison Café. After going back to the hotel to wash up for a bit, we’re going to check out from there, and go to Monas. Sightseeing in Monas should be exciting, eh? Afterwards, we’re going to be changing cities, from Jakarta to Bandung. That trip’s going to take place in the evening or so. After we’ve arrived, we’re going to buy martabak first, then check in at The Padma Hotel. After that, we rest up.
The first thing we’re going to be doing in Monday is to eat breakfast at the hotel. After that, we’re going to go to the Alun-Alun. We’re also going to eat lunch there, at Warung Nasi Ibu Imas. After that, well, it’s just a freebie. What I mean is that we’re just going to explore around and just spontaneously go somewhere if we want to. Why? Well, a little free exploring wouldn’t hurt, right? Besides, Bandung has a lot of great spontaneous spots anyway.
The second day in Bandung (that’s Tuesday), we’re going to go to Lembang, specifically, Lembang’s Floating Market. After eating lunch there, we’re going to go to Kawah Putih. It’s a really beautiful view, honestly. In the evening, I think we’re just going to hangout at a coffee shop. We could converse a bit there about each of our lives. Should be nice, no?
We’re going to go back to Jakarta at Wednesday morning to avoid the traffic. Afterwards, I’ll let the two of you search for whatever merchandise you want to bring back to Europe. Most of the day is going to be spent dillydallying around Jakarta, but on a motorcycle. To add the excitement, especially in the evening. As for the hotel, we’re going to be staying in Grand Mahakam Hotel.
For our final day, I reckon we’re not going to be exploring much. Unless, of course, the two of you want to go somewhere. And around the evening, I’ll be taking them back to the airport, where the adventure started.
It’s been a fun five days, hasn’t it? Have a save flight back home, and see you two some other time!
Noteworthy element: I enjoyed your personal style in this writing: addressing your guests directly. I also think the idea of visiting the Gelora Bung Karno area is a good one.
DeleteSuggestion or Question: Airplane > Airport > Car > Hotel > Shower/Change Clothes > Eat Out…
is better than…
Airplane > Airport > Car > Eat Out > Hotel > Shower/Change Clothes.
My favourite would be…
Airplane > Airport > Car > Hotel > Shower/Change Clothes > Snacks and cocktails by the rooftop hotel pool > early night.
Your version: “It’s been a fun five days, hasn’t it? Have a save flight back home, and see you two some other time!”
My version: “It’s been a fun five days, hasn’t it? Have a safe flight back home, and I’ll see you two when I come to Europe next year!”
The first thing I’m going to do is obviously pick them up at the airport. I assume that they have a tiring flight and they are starving. I’m going to treat them with martabak manis and martabak asin which in my opinion are one of the best street foods Indonesia can offer. The next morning, I'm going to take them for breakfast to another street food that almost everyone likes to eat, that is lontong sayur. After eating breakfast, I will take them to the historical monument and one of the most visited in Jakarta (Monas). While we have remaining time in Jakarta, Kota Tua is our next destination to visit. The second day I will take them to bogor by car and eat breakfast there. We are going to eat nasi timbel that is really famous in Bogor that is located near IPB. Then, we are going to go to Istana Bogor which is the place where our president lives. It is an interesting place since they kept many deers inside. The third day, the first thing we do is buy plane tickets and we will fly to Yogyakarta. We will visit the famous candi there and eat some authentic Yogyakarta foods. In the evening, I will take them to go for a walk in the Malioboro street. We are going to spend our time shopping here until night since the atmosphere in malioboro street at night is really pleasing. The fourth day, I will take them Solo by car and we will visit Mangkunegaran Palace and Surakarta Hadiningrat Palace. The fifth day, we will fly to NTT to visit Komodo Island. I think this place is a must visit one since komodo is one of the most fascinating creatures that we are able to see today.. On the last day we will fly to Jakarta in the morning and I will arrange a thank you event for them visiting indonesia. This event, I will surprise them with many souvenirs that I secretly buy for them from each of the places that we visit. Then in the evening they will fly back to Europe.
ReplyDeleteNoteworthy element: “I will arrange an event to thank them for visiting indonesia. At this event, I will surprise them with many souvenirs that I had secretly bought for them from each of the places that we visited.” (Edited) Nice idea.
DeleteSuggestion or Question: “I assume that they have a tiring flight and they are starving.” I am not sure this is true. They will feel desparate to get out of their clothes.
Your version: “I will take them to the historical monument and one of the most visited in Jakarta (Monas). While we have remaining time in Jakarta, Kota Tua is our next destination to visit. The second day I will take them to bogor by car and eat breakfast there.”
My version: “I will take them to Monas, one of the most visited historical monuments in Jakarta. While we have time remaining in the city, Kota Tua will be our next destination. On the second day, I will take them to Bogor by car and we’ll eat breakfast there.”
As much as I would like to show them every island in Indonesia, I will be sticking to Java. As soon as they arrive, I will be taking them to eat dinner in a restaurant only around 30 minutes away from the airport called Bunga Rampai. Here, they would be able to indulge in traditional Indonesia food with the classic ambiance of an original Dutch house. After that, I will be checking them in to The Hermitage Hotel in Menteng, where they will be staying there for 2 nights. Not only is it strategically located nearby sites that we will be visiting the next day such as Kota Tua, Jalan Surabaya, and the National Gallery, but it is also set in a beautiful 1920’s Dutch Colonial Building.
ReplyDeleteOn the second day, I will be taking them to the older historical sites that I have previously mentioned. Though, the twist would be that we will only be using public transports such as the Trans Jakarta and MRT so that they would be able to embrace the amazing weather of Jakarta and also see how people behave in this city. They will be having breakfast in Bakmi Gang Kelinci, lunch in the Batavia Café, dessert in Ragusa, and finally dinner in a legendary Chinese restaurant called Trio. On the third day, they will be having a more casual day. I will be bringing them to places adolescent teens normally go to. These places include M Blok, Gelora Bung Karno, and the bridges along Sudirman. What matters the most is that they will be having an Indonesian fine dining experience in Namaaz to wrap up their stay in Jakarta.
The next morning, we will be flying to Yogyakarta wherein we will be staying for two nights. There, we will be going on a culinary adventure and introduce them to the art of street food. In addition to that, we will also be visiting historical places, temples, and of course, Gunung Merapi. To end this cultural trip, after checking out of the hotel on Wednesday, I will be taking them on a quick road trip to Solo so that they can watch a traditional dance performance at my family’s home in the Keraton area. After that, we will be flying back to Jakarta, leaving them one night to either rest or party in SCBD before flying back home on Thursday.
Noteworthy element: I like this authentic touch: “The twist would be that we will only be using public transports such as the Trans Jakarta and MRT so that they would be able to embrace the amazing weather of Jakarta and also see how people behave in this city.”
DeleteSuggestion or Question: Food may not be uppermost in their minds after the long flight. They might prefer to clean up and get a change of clothes before going out to dinner.
Your version: You used the future continuous tense throughout and did so very consistently. It works! Well done.
I would like to make sure that the hotel that we live in for the couple of days ahead is located in Central JakartaThe first day I would like to stroll around Jakarta and went to Kota Tua using Transjakarta from Stasiun Bundaran HI to see the old town part of Jakarta and see the Museum Bank Indonesia which is one of the coolest museum in Jakarta in my opinion. Right from there I would ask them to choose if they wanted to eat street food or at the restaurant, if they choose to eat street food I would take them to Pinangsia Street or somewhere near Kota Tua.We would end the first day trip at night by eating at Jalan Sabang near our Hotel which is one of the culinary streets in Central Jakarta. The second day we would go to one of the islands in Kepulauan Seribu to admire the sea side of Jakarta using a boat, this will be a one day trip and we will eat dinner at Bandar Djakarta which located near the beach. At day 3 we will go shop souvenir in Menteng as its popular for its flea market where we can bargain the price. Then we will take a walk at central Jakarta admiring Istana Merdeka and end the day by eating Ice Cream at Ragusa Italian Ice Cream that have been serving Ice Cream since 1932. The forth day we will take a enjoy South Jakarta which have many places to hangout, we will go to M-Bloc which usually held monthly music concerts with popular musician from Indonesia and is quiet an artsy and great place to have a photoshoot in my opinion. We will spend the last day shopping at Grand Indonesia near the hotel.
ReplyDeleteNoteworthy element: This sounds good: “On the fourth day, we will enjoy a trip to South Jakarta which has many places to hangout. We will go to M-Bloc which usually holds monthly music concerts with popular musician from Indonesia and is quiet an artsy place to have a photoshoot in my opinion.” (Edited)
DeleteSuggestion or Question: It’s a bold plan that has the visitors in Jakarta the whole time!
Your version: “I would like to make sure that the hotel that we live in for the couple of days ahead is located in Central JakartaThe first day I would like to stroll around Jakarta and went to Kota Tua using Transjakarta from Stasiun Bundaran HI to see the old town part of Jakarta and see the Museum Bank Indonesia which is one of the coolest museum in Jakarta in my opinion.”
My version: “I would make sure that the hotel that we stay in for the first couple of days is located in Central Jakarta. On the first day I would like to stroll around the city and go to Kota Tua (literally “the old town”) using Transjakarta from Stasiun Bundaran HI and we would go the Bank Indonesia Museum which is one of the coolest places in Jakarta, in my opinion.”
As they landed in Jakarta, the first thing I'll do is to pick them up and go straight to Pullman Hotel so they can clean themselves and take a rest for a bit. Then, we will go to the popular spot of Jakarta's night culinary, Gultik Blok M. Afterward, we go back to the hotel by using Gojek, so we can feel the Jakarta night breeze.
ReplyDeleteThe next day, we create a challenge; to only spending less than 100,000 in Jakarta. We will take the Transjakarta to see around what this city is like, from Monas to Gelora Bung Karno. When the sun starts setting down, we will eat at the famous Ragusa Ice cream shop and take photos there, to have content for Instagram precisely!
Sunday morning is the time for a car-free day. I surely will ask them to jog together and showing weird goods that are sold there. Then, we will eat ketupat sayur for breakfast. Around 3 pm we will be flying to Bali by using our first-class tickets. We are going to be there from Sunday night to Tuesday night. There, we will try a luxury spa that is famous in Bali. And not to forget about doing activities at the beach as well, such as surfing, snorkeling, and skydiving!
To spend the last two days, we will then travel to Jogja. On Wednesday morning, we are going to eat chicken porridge as our breakfasts. by using becak, we will then stroll around Jogja in the morning before we have a Merapi tour. At night, we will do some fun night activities like walking blindly between the two famous banyan trees and having a fun ride through the Malioboro street. That's then how they can experience the city, sea, and mountain tour of Indonesia in only five days!
Noteworthy element: I like the “IDR 100,000 Challenge”. It’s an interesting idea and might result in a different Jakarta experience from the one you’d have if you spent lots of money.
DeleteSuggestion or Question: What really cheap food and drink would the “IDR 100,000 Challenge” cause the visitors to consume?
Your version: “The next day, we create a challenge; to only spending less than 100,000 in Jakarta. We will take the Transjakarta to see around what this city is like, from Monas to Gelora Bung Karno. When the sun starts setting down, we will eat at the famous Ragusa Ice cream shop and take photos there, to have content for Instagram precisely!”
My version: “The next day, we will create a challenge; to spend less than IDR 100,000 in Jakarta in a day. We will take the Transjakarta bus to tour the city and see what it is like, from Monas to Gelora Bung Karno. When the sun starts to set, we will eat at the famous Ragusa Ice cream shop and take photos there - specifically to have content for Instagram!”
ReplyDeleteMy concept for their six days trip is to let them experience how it’s like to be Indonesian. I want them to not only have memories and impressions by visiting tourist destinations but also by participating in local’s activities. This way, they will have both photos to show and a wonderful story to tell when they are back.
I’ll start with pick them up at Soekarno-Hatta Airport in Jakarta. For their first day, I’ll look for the finest hotel in there. I am pretty sure that they would be very tired after a long flight. On the first night, We’ll just stay in the hotel and establish their tongue and tummy to Indonesian food by dining in the hotel restaurant. There’s not much going on for the first day since they probably need some time to recover from jet lag and gather their energy for tomorrow.
On the second day, We’ll head to Bali. I believe that Bali is a mandatory destination for whoever willing to visit Indonesia. Our first destination is Pura Ulun Danu Beratan. We’ll have a Balinese cuisine such as Ayam Betutu or Sate Lilit. We’ll continue our journey to Kuta beach where We’ll do surfing and enjoy our time as the sunset goes. When the night comes, We’ll rent scooters and strolling the road of Kuta with it. Perhaps We’ll stop by a bar and have a couple of drinks.
For the third day, I intend to take them to Jogjakarta. Our first destination in Jogja would be Candi Prambanan. Just like Bali, I believe that a Candi, whether it is Borobudur or Prambanan, is a mandatory destination. I want them to have Nasi Pecel, Gudeg, or Tongseng for lunch. After that, We’ll go back to our homestay to clean ourselves and prepare for the night. Just like in Kuta, We’ll rent scooters and head to Malioboro. There, We’ll find street food like kopi joss and watch street performances.
The fourth day is where it gets interesting. I want to take them to a village in Ambarawa. To live as a simple villager for one day is my intention. We’ll do activities that locals do on daily basis, such as practice farming in the rice field, make them experience “Karavan Sapi”, watch an extreme Javanese performance called “Kuda Lumping” where the performer gets possessed, Learn the process of making the Kain Batik, and hang out with the local folks. I believe that it’s going to make some unforgettable memories.
On the last day before they go back to Jakarta on Thursday morning, I want to make it as a calm day. Relax on our Airbnb in Jogja, or probably even going to a traditional spa. On this day, I want them to become more and more familiar with our food. We’ll try sate Klathak and kopi Klothok which is very famous in Jogja. Also, since the trip has come to an end, I want them to have the nicest souvenir we could find. I believe that there’s no better place than Mirota Batik.
Noteworthy element: Four days, four different cities. That’s a whirlwind tour. “I want to take them to a village in Ambarawa.” This is an interesting idea.
DeleteSuggestion or Question: Presumably, the visit to Ambarawa is a day trip from Yogyakarta?
Your version: “We’ll continue our journey to Kuta beach where We’ll do surfing and enjoy our time as the sunset goes. When the night comes, We’ll rent scooters and strolling the road of Kuta with it. Perhaps We’ll stop by a bar and have a couple of drinks.”
My version: “We’ll continue our journey to Kuta beach where we’ll go surfing and enjoy our time as the sun sets. When the night comes, we’ll rent scooters and cruise the streets of Kuta. Perhaps we’ll stop by a bar and have a couple of drinks.”
Six days of travelling should not be hard for me, considering me as guy who loves traveling and touring. My concept of touring is going to be, dominantly, culinary. Moreover, foreigner tourists, especially European tourists are outlandish to Indonesian culinary. Majorly, they only recognize few of Indonesian culinary, which is rendang, gudeg, nasi goreng, and Balinese food.
ReplyDeleteSix days of traveling, I will lead them to three different cities in Indonesia. First two days will be in Jakarta. Honestly, Jakarta’s tourist attractions are now too cliché to be visited. However, there are so many food stalls in Jakarta streets and great low-to-middle-end restaurants downtown. I will recommend to have a taste on Chinese food restaurants in Northern Jakarta. For your information, European Chinese food restaurants is tasted mediocre. So, they will not regret to come over to Pluit, Kelapa Gading, Pantai Indah Kapuk, for just having a taste of essential Chinese food. Next, we will move to Bakmi Ayam Gang Kelinci, Pasar Baru, Central Jakarta. Well, this is also Chinese food, but more comfort and common. I like the delicacy of the noodles, chicken stocks, and the topping, which is local chicken.
Move on to Bandung. I will take them to curug near Bandung. Curug means waterfall from Sundanese lexical. Apparently, there are so many curugs near Bandung, but I recommend them to have a look in Curug Panganten and Curug Maribaya. Later, on the lunchtime, I will ask them to have a taste on Jalan Ganesha. This culinary street is located at the front of ITB (Institut Teknologi Bandung) main gate. There are so many options of food, started from Sundanese traditional food into modern-contemporary food. For dinner, I will suggest them to come over to Sudirman Street. It is a platform of street-food. You can choose from halal into non-halal food, Mexican food, Chinese food, middle east food, etc.
Last two days, I will bring them to Jogjakarta. For the first day in Jogja, I will take them to take their finest moment at Puncak Becici, Pine Forest at Mangunan, Tebing Breksi, Mangunan Orchard, Beaches at Southern Jogja, Paralayang Hill for enjoying sunset, and also Parangkusumo sand dune. Especially, you can have unique moment of surfing at Parangkusumo because you do not surf at the tide, but on a sand dune, which is interesting to try about. Last on, I’ll take them to culinary travel. I will guide them such as Sate Klathak, Soto Haji Mustofa, Sop Empal Bu Haryoko, Katombo, etc.
Noteworthy element: I find your emphasis on the culinary asepct of the tour interesting. What about things like dog, snake, horse, rabbit and er… “deep-fried grasshopper”?
DeleteSuggestion or Question: “European tourists are outlandish to Indonesian culinary. Majorly, they only recognize few of Indonesian culinary, which is rendang, gudeg, nasi goreng, and Balinese food.” [1] I don’t know what you mean by “outlandish”; “ignorant”, perhaps? [2] Aside from Dutch people (who might eat a fair bit of Indonesian food in some of the many restaurants they have in their big cities), I think most Europeans would only know “satay” and peanut sauce and – maybe – friend rice.
Your version: “Later, on the lunchtime, I will ask them to have a taste on Jalan Ganesha. This culinary street is located at the front of ITB (Institut Teknologi Bandung) main gate.”
My version: “Later, at lunchtime, I will suggest they sample the food on Jalan Ganesha. This street – famous for its culinary offerings – is located in front of the main gate of the prestigious Bandung Institute of Technology.”