Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

1 October 2020

Session 3 Class D - 1st October 2020

Session 3 Assignment



You wake up one morning and you find you can somehow have four wishes granted. The first one is some change to the house you live in that you can make instantly. Similarly, with the second wish you can change one thing about the city in which you live. Then, with the third one, you can change one thing about the country where you live and then use a fourth wish to change something about the world. With wishes number two, three and four you cannot just give people money; you have to be more creative than that! Briefly describe what your four wishes would be.

[Approx. 200 words/30 minutes' writing.]

24 comments:

  1. Jessenia Sarah Aurelia - 20/454436/EK/22726

    Okay, so imagine i have four wishes, the first one is im going to change my cats cages from a wired cages to a room with air conditioner, connected to windows so they can have VIP access to the sunlight, and a lot of toys, also filled with fancy pillow plush so they can be more comfortable and fabulous. The second wish is im going to change the infrastructure from the old one to a new sophisticatedly futuristic so it will help all of the society to do mobilization and also represents an aesthetic view to the eyes. The third wish i want to change about this country is basically its regulation that are nonsense to be applied as the omnibus law and also i want to change the DPR’s mind to agree on RUU PKS so it will benefit all of the society especially women and children, also i want this country to be more assertive to all of the criminal minds and corruptors. The fourth one is i want to change how people act especially when it comes to any other cultures and beliefs, in instance i want people all around the world to be respectful to others and not being racism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about how you would arrange things for your cats.

      Wise question: What concrete policies would make members of the DPR become more assertive about all the criminal and corruptors?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “The fourth one is i want to change how people act especially when it comes to any other cultures and beliefs, in instance i want people all around the world to be respectful to others and not being racism.” Mine: “The fourth one is I want to change how people act especially when it comes to other cultures and beliefs. For instance, I want people all around the world to be respectful to others and not be racist.”

      Delete
  2. If one day I wake up I can have four wishes, here are the things that I will wish for.
    For the first wish, I wouldn’t do much about it since I actually really like mine. However, I think I would magically wish I have my own room since I currently share mine thus I don’t really have that much privacy. I also would want a bigger garden so that we can grow trees and even have more pets.
    For the second one, I wish my city isn’t this crowded so that the traffic will be less jammed and I can easily travel to places both within or outside the city faster and easier. I also wish that people that live here have more awareness towards the COVID-and not following the health protocol that’s promoted by both the central and the regional government. Throughout the past few months, I have seen a lot of people not wearing mask properly or having a long queue without proper distance (around 2 meters) so that the virus will not spread that easily.
    For the third one, the thing that I wish I could change about Indonesia is the people are their mentality and perspective on things by giving them an education and more empathy. Until today, there are still a lot of Indonesians that are (in my opinion) close minded and they don’t have the empathy to respect others that have different view, background, beliefs, race, etc. It is an irony when our ideology states that we are “Bhinneka Tunggal Ika” (Unity in Diversity) yet there are Indonesians that force their beliefs or view to others. For the last wish, It is similar to the one that I wish for Indonesia. I wish that all the mankind have the empathy and respect to others even if they are on the different side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about the national “Unity in Diversity” ideology.

      Wise question: Do you think people’s behaviour with regard to masks and social distancing might be caused by some kind of ‘virus fatigue’?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “I would magically wish I have my own room since I currently share mine thus I don’t really have that much privacy. I also would want a bigger garden so that we can grow trees and even have more pets. For the second one, I wish my city isn’t this crowded so that the traffic will be less jammed and I can easily travel to places both within or outside the city faster and easier.” Mine: “I would magically wish to have my own room since I currently share mine thus I don’t really have that much privacy. I also would want a bigger garden so that we could grow trees and even have more pets. For the second one, I wish my city wasn’t this crowded so that there would be less traffic jams and I could easily travel to places both within or outside the city faster and easier.”

      Delete

  3. For the first wish, what I want to change about my house is that I want to have a bigger room. I have a really simple room with only one bed and one wardrobe. So I think to have a bigger room would be nice if it can happen instantly. For the second wish, I want my city to be more clean. There are sometimes a lot of garbage in the street. So I would probably want to change people’s mind in my city to care about the environment that they are living in. that probably would be very nice for me. For the next wish, one thing I want to change about my country is probably the TV shows cencorship. Sometimes they cencor things that doesn’t even make sense, for the example, they they cencored Sandy from Spongebob wearing a bikini. I don’t think it is necessary. The final wish, one thing I want to change about the world is I want people to not be ignorant and stop caring about the things that we should not even think about. But since we are in the middle of a pandemic right now, I want COVID-19 to disappear for my wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about letting things like Sandy (from Spongebob) wearing a bikini be seen on TV.

      Wise question: Don’t you perhaps think that a really simple room with only one bed and one wardrobe – along with a laptop and access to the internet – is the perfect distraction-free situation for a successful academic career?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “For the second wish, I want my city to be more clean. There are sometimes a lot of garbage in the street. So I would probably want to change people’s mind in my city to care about the environment that they are living in.” Mine: “For the second wish, I would want my city to be cleaner. There is sometimes a lot of garbage in the street. So, I would probably want to change people’s minds in my city to make them care about the environment that they are living in.”

      Delete
  4. The first change I'd want to make to my house is for there to be an enormous, secret tunnel in my room deep enough for me to be able to reach the U.S if jumped down it. I think this would be a great change because then I could get my hands on as many In-n-Out burgers as I want and be back on my desk chair in no time. The next wish to change my city would be to make it so that the entire landmass of Jogjakarta to be levitated up a kilometre or two. I don't have any particular reason, I reckon it would be awesome to be able to glide down every once in a while, however. The wish to change my country would be that Indonesia would be home to marvelous mythological beasts such as unicorns, dragons and Minotaurs. I think if these beasts existed in Indonesia it'd make this country a lot more interesting than it already is. My last wish to change the world would be to make the Earth a cube. Why you ask? Because I just think that would be cool. Earth would be unique unlike any all the other planets that are spherical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about levitating or elevating the entire landmass of Yogjakarta by 1,000 or 2,000 metres. Note: “As we go up or our altitude increases, temperature falls. The rate of decrease of temperature is 6.5 degrees C for each 1 km altitude change. This can also be written as 3.6 degree F for every 1000 ft increase in altitude.” Taken from https://tinyurl.com/yy9mu3hm

      Wise question: In-N-Out Burger?

      I looked it up on wiki: In-N-Out Burger is an American family-owned regional chain of fast food restaurants with locations primarily in California and the Southwest. As the chain has expanded, it has opened several distribution centers in addition to its original Baldwin Park location. The new facilities, located in Lathrop, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Draper, Utah; Dallas, Texas; Colorado Springs, Colorado will provide for potential future expansion into other parts of the country."

      This is the bit that I liked the sound of: "In-N-Out Burger has chosen not to franchise its operations or go public; one reason is the prospect of quality or customer consistency being compromised by excessively rapid business growth. The company's business practices have been noted for employee-centered personnel policies."

      Is this the reason that you like In-N-Out Burger's food or is it simply because it tastes good?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “The first change I'd want to make to my house is for there to be an enormous, secret tunnel in my room deep enough for me to be able to reach the U.S if jumped down it.” Mine: “The first change I'd want to make to my house is for there to be an enormous, secret tunnel in my room long enough for me to be able to reach the U.S if jumped down it.”

      Delete
  5. Well for the first wish, I would add more land so that I can expand my house or have a decent size garden. I really miss my old house back in Pekanbaru that have a large garden surrounding the house. By having this garden, I am going to build a basketball court and maybe a swimming pool. This second wish is my favourite wish. Since Jakarta is where I am staying now, I wish that pollution is reduced so I can enjoy the fresh air outside. With this wish granted, I can probably go outside more without hurting my precious lungs! Indonesia is a good country but not good enough. Why can I say something like that? It is because most people in the road act like they are a top tier racer. Honestly, Indonesia can be more widely known if we recruit more people to join motorcycle or car racing competition abroad. Enough of that, my third wish is to tighten the law about driving carelessly. I hope this wish can make people realise that it is very dangerous and reduce the accident on the road. Finally, my wish for the last one is to have a place in this world that have fantasy kind of environment. The environment I am talking about is the kind of place that is in the ending of a movie called “Interstellar.” I would probably go there a lot just to sit down and enjoy the uniqueness of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about - what I THINK is about - reducing the speed at which motorcyclists and car users drive. I noticed that you decided to tackle bus drivers; yes, you’re probably right to see reforming bus drivers as a lost cause.

      Wise question: Do you take any steps to reduce any damage air pollution might do to your precious lungs?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “Finally, my wish for the last one is to have a place in this world that have fantasy kind of environment. The environment I am talking about is the kind of place that is in the ending of a movie called “Interstellar.”” Mine: “Finally, my last wish is to have a place in this world that has a kind of fantasy environment. The sort of place I am talking about would be like what you see at the end of the movie called “Interstellar.” It’s funny you should mention this film; yesterday I happened to watch a YouTube clip from it and it looked interesting. I shall have a look for it on some of Mr Putin’s torrents sites…

      Delete
  6. If I have 4 wish to change my house, my city, my country, and the world to my liking first of all, I would feel both excited and anxious. My house's size is perfect as it is it's neither too big nor too small the only problem is that houses require a lot of work to keep it clean this sometimes keeps me from doing other things. The first wish I want to be granted is to have a robot maid that would thoroughly clean my house from any dishes, dust, garbage, and pest. For my second wish, I want my city to have a teleportation system for every house or buildings I don't want Surabaya to be the next Jakarta with their traffic with the teleportation system I would be able to explore places in Surabaya that I have never been before. For my third wish, I want my country to get rid of any extremist or radical group these groups only stir up unwanted trouble I think the biggest factor why Indonesia hasn't been progressing to its fullest is because if this twisted ideology. For my fourth wish, I want the world to have complete transparency in terms of the government and its people. From what I've seen recently the most mind-boggling problem is occurring in China the government has complete control of the information in China especially about the concentration camp in Xinjiang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about the teleportation system that’s enable you to explore places you have not visited in Surabaya.

      Wise question: Why a robot maid and not a human one? Wouldn’t her salary support her family while the robot which just waste it on batteries etc.?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “My house's size is perfect as it is it's neither too big nor too small the only problem is that houses require a lot of work to keep it clean this sometimes keeps me from doing other things.” Mine: “My house is the perfect size as it is neither too big nor too small; the only problem is that it requires a lot of work to keep it clean and this sometimes prevents me from doing other things.”

      Delete
  7. Four wishes, eh. Alright then
    The first wish involves changes to the house we live in. I’ve got a few ideas for that. First of all, I’ll want an indoor field of sorts. This indoor field functions as both a futsal field and a basketball field. That way, I could invite my friends to play here after this situation is over. Second, I’d like a few more gaming consoles added to my room. A Nintendo Switch, a PS4, and a PS5, particularly. That, and some of the games I want from their library. Third, I’d want to fix the various water problems this household has. No, it’s not some major problem like having no water. It’s just minor problems that stack up, making it annoying for everyone. I’d really appreciate it if all of that could be fixed permanently. Lastly, an improvement to the kitchen could be nice. When I say improvement, I meant a full renovation to make it better, so that mother doesn’t have to be uncomfortable in there.
    Hmm, the second wish. To change the city you live in. The first thing that jumps to mind is a wish for less pollution. Less air pollution, less water pollution, etc. It’d be nice if Jakarta Selatan could be cleaner, honestly. Another thing that jumps to mind is a wish for more trees. Not only for better air circulation, but this city desperately need more green spots. More space is also a wish I want, considering Jakarta is just crowded at this point.
    I do have a personal wish for this city, though. To ask for a calmer atmosphere. Jakarta is incredibly hectic at daytime, and sometimes I just really want to have a sort of night time atmosphere at any time. Night time Jakarta is incredible in my opinion.
    The third wish concerns the country you live in. Well, less corruption? That jumped to my mind almost immediately. A better government would be great too, considering the state of the government now. Hmm, I just thought of one. Improved intelligence for nearly everyone. That way, we won’t be so easily deceived every time. We could also utilize the natural resources of this country better. Better football quality is also my wish. What else, hmm? Ah, an improvement to all public transports, and maybe introduce some new public transport too
    The fourth wish concerns the world. I wish for more equality among everyone. I mean, it doesn’t matter what race or religion someone is. At the end of the day, they are still people. Still humans. We don’t need to differentiate them. More competence among leaders could be great. Actually, among people in general. Less global warming is definitely something I’d want. Imagine that, the world returned to its pristine state. Ah, and no COVID too. That way, everyone could finally go out again. Lastly, I’d want people to be more open with their feelings, more truthful. I know the truth hurts, but it’s a necessary pain, sometimes.
    That’s all, folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like your third choice – the sheer greed and cheek of it! – as I count it, that one wish you were granted, in fact, consists of no less than SIX wishes!

      Wise question: Why do you think, despite the national ethos and ideology (Unity in Diversity) being taught in all schools from a young age, that we still need your wish number four in this country?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “Another thing that jumps to mind is a wish for more trees. Not only for better air circulation, but this city desperately need more green spots. More space is also a wish I want, considering Jakarta is just crowded at this point.” Mine: “Another thing that jumps to mind is a wish for more trees. Not only for better air circulation, but this city desperately needs more green spaces. And more room is also a wish I’d make, considering Jakarta is just so crowded at this point.”

      Delete
  8. If God or a genie suddenly gives me four wishes, I would honestly dread it as my indecisive self would probably be unable to settle on one answer, but here goes nothing. For my first wish, I would ask for a larger balcony that wraps around my whole apartment so that I would have space for some greenery and an area to work in while breathing in the questionable air of this city. Not only would this make my apartment feel more spacious and airy, but it would also make it less claustrophobic, especially during this pandemic.
    For my second wish that is related to the city I currently live in, which is Jakarta, I would ask for strict enforcements of regulations regarding the usage of side roads. If you go to more business packed areas such as Senopati, Kemang or Cikajang, you can see that the sides of relatively small roads are used for restaurant valet parking. This irritates me very much because it causes traffic and sometimes, it even blocks the sidewalk for pedestrians. Such actions should be deemed illegal as private businesses are using public facilities for their own benefit.
    For my third wish, I would then ask for something a little bit more complex. I have always believed that Indonesia is in desperate need of a much better education system. It is important to stimulate exploration and questioning from a young age to develop critical thinking skills and tolerance. Instead of only testing kids on their knowledge of the material through multiple choice or one dimensional questions, they should provide open-ended questions and also hold more class discussions. This is important because it could reduce the education quality gap between Indonesians and Westerners, thus improving the quality of the workforce and therefore, their competitiveness in the job market. With that, the productivity of the nation would also increase, along with the living standards of the people.
    Lastly, I would wish for the world to be more aware of climate change and actually develop the desire to take action. It is not enough for people to wait for the government to put out environmental policies, such as the recent banning of plastic bags in Bali and Jakarta. People need to realize that this is a life or death situation. If the world becomes unlivable, no amount of money or wealth would have any worth. With that, I believe that the world should be more cautious of their behaviors which may directly or indirectly damage the Earth even further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about the parking in congested commercial areas of Jakarta as it is very specific and I think you are the only student to make exactly this wish.

      Wise question: I agree with your dissatisfaction with testing kids through multiple choice or one dimensional questions, and your proposal to, instead, provide open-ended questions. How would you handle the fact that this would create a huge amount of extra work for educators?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “People need to realize that this is a life or death situation. If the world becomes unlivable, no amount of money or wealth would have any worth. With that, I believe that the world should be more cautious of their behaviors which may directly or indirectly damage the Earth even further.” Mine: “People need to realize that this is a life or death situation. If the world became uninhabitable, no amount of money or wealth would help (or “…uninhabitable, money or wealth would have no value” or “…uninhabitable, money or wealth would be worthless”). With that, I believe that the world should be more cautious about their behavior which may directly or indirectly damage the planet even further.”

      Delete
  9. The first wish of mine is I want my house, especially in my bedroom, has a music studio equipment, such as monitoring speaker, audio interface, soundproofer, etc. I love to play music and intent to make a song. There are so much feelings and story to be shared. Well, If I release new single, my genre would be RnB or electro-pop. Of course, I will try as best as I can do to represents the feelings of my listener later.
    I know that this pandemic really hits big cities like a truck, especially Jakarta. So, the second wish is I want Jakarta’s infections rate of Covid-19 decreasing. I want to live a life normally as it used to be. At the end of the day, I’ll rely my wish on the vaccine which will be available at the end of the year of 2020 or the early of 2021. I missed hanging out with my friends and going picnic together. Coronavirus is truly dehumanizing.
    Third one, I want my country being not silly about politics. I would say that most of Indonesian people are being irrational about their political choice. Moreover, the bureaucrats, sometimes, are giving bad influence to the society. Many cases of political events that discriminate and even being polarized because of political candidates/choices.
    The last is I want all of the global elite to stop this conspiracy things. Build a better lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about your studio and your plans to make music with the equipment and facilities you’d wish for.

      Wise question: Aren’t “RnB” and “electro-pop” quite different genres? What would be your identity or brand as an artist?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “I know that this pandemic really hits big cities like a truck, especially Jakarta. So, the second wish is I want Jakarta’s infections rate of Covid-19 decreasing. I want to live a life normally as it used to be. At the end of the day, I’ll rely my wish on the vaccine which will be available at the end of the year of 2020 or the early of 2021.” Mine: “I know that this pandemic has really hits big cities like a truck, especially Jakarta. So, for my second wish, I would want Jakarta’s Covid-19 infection rate to decrease. I want to live life normally like it used to be. At the end of the day, I’ll my wish would be for the vaccine to be available at the end of the year or in early 2021.”

      Delete
  10. As for the first wish, it is quite simple. I would really like to change the color of my room. I wanted it to be more like beige, without any kind of wallpaper that I have since I was junior high school. Sadly back then I did not know anything about how to make an aesthetic room though. Then twitter threads taught me some, giving a realization that my room is such an old school.

    For the second one; please make Depok looks like Birmingham! I have been living in Depok for twelve years and always used to the damaged roads which the Major has never put attention on. Malls everywhere yet still making me feel that living in Depok is truly boring. But, as all of my friends live in this city as well, they are the only exception why I am still happy being here.

    Thirdly, if I were able to change things about this country, one of them would be; cleanse this country of corruptors. It is ironic to see how they could live happily above the suffering of people. poverty keeps increasing but they won't feel a thing about it. We have been freed from colonialism, but still not from our own culture of corruption.

    Lastly, I'd wish that global warming was untrue; make the forests are as green as 100 years before, unmelt the ice in the Antartica, make the world's temperature back to normal. Please, it is so sad watching our world is falling apart, I could not imagine if we were truly going to move to Mars. Our Earth could not be replaced though...let's save our planet guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about the colour scheme in your room; I have already told you of my admiration for the subtle colour schemes in your photographs!

      Wise question: This is an excellent paragraph: “It is ironic to see how they could live happily above the suffering of people. Poverty keeps increasing but they won't feel a thing about it. We have been freed from colonialism, but still not from our own culture of corruption.” However, I don’t think what you are describing is “ironic”.

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “Lastly, I'd wish that global warming was untrue; make the forests are as green as 100 years before, unmelt the ice in the Antartica, make the world's temperature back to normal.” Mine: “Lastly, I'd wish that global warming was untrue; make the forests are as green as 100 years before, re-melt the ice in the Antartica, make the world's temperature return to normal.”

      Delete
  11. First of all, thank you Adrian for providing this topic. This kind of topic is actually an interesting way to let us describe our own utopian world. I think this topic is perfect for me since I complain so much about my current situation.

    Actually, there’s nothing wrong with my current house, but if I have to pick one wish, I would like to have a very spacious backyard. Since I love gardening so much, having my own orchid garden would be very lovely. For me, taking care of plants, particularly the flowery ones, is very refreshing. Also, I want to add a Maple tree in there. Although it is pretty difficult to grow a decent Maple tree in the Indonesian climate, with great treatment, it is possible.

    As for my city, I want Semarang to have a central park just like in Manhattan, New York City. Semarang needs a green open space not only for the environment reason but also as a place for people to have fun and entertainment. A wide-scale park that able to hold an International-scale live concert is all I need.

    For my third wish, I want Indonesian folks to have more tolerance towards minorities. It’s kind of shameful when we already taught about tolerance and diversity since our first grade but still push the minorities out of their rights. The radical or extremist association makes me grow resentment towards the majority. It’s ironic because those who persecute minorities are actually the same people who proudly talk about Indonesia’s diversity of culture and religion.

    The last wish is actually the hardest one because we all know that the world does have a lot of problems. Of all our problems, I think I will use my wish to speed up our advancement in technology. That way, we can actually solve our problems on medication, environment, and energy shortage. For instance, with sufficient technology, there will be no disease that can’t be cured, thus this pandemic would be solved in a faster way. I believe that advance technology could make the world a better place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about having a spacious backyard because of your love of gardening although taking care of plants does not appeal to me; I’d be more interested in growing vegetables and maybe some fruit.

      Wise question: If learning about diversity and the virtue of tolerance is taught from grade one onwards and still doen’t seem to succeed, what would you actually do to change mindsets.

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “For instance, with sufficient technology, there will be no disease that can’t be cured, thus this pandemic would be solved in a faster way.” Mine: “For instance, with sufficient technology, there would be no disease that couldn’t be cured, thus this pandemic would be solved more quickly.”

      Delete
  12. The thing that I would instantly change to my house is I would change the overall designs of my house to look more of a industrial yet comfy stylings with using wood as its flooring material. Because in my opinion wood is something that my foot will appreciate more than ceramics. And the thing that I want to change about my city is more structured in city plannings and a more cleaner environment would be nice. Knowing that Cibubur (my city) is really a big fan of traffic jams, I would wish a wider streets with a more human friendly walking passage as because walking in the streets of Cibubur right now is quite dangerous because it has really narrow passage for people to walk by. The things that I wish to change for my country is that the people have a more mature mentality than right know as I think this is one of the main problem that my country is dealing right now. With the right mentality I thnik this country will be much more advanced in many aspects such as the economics untill politics. And my last wish is that many people will start caring about the earth such as reducing the use of machines causing polutant waste that damages the earth and many other things that will help the earth that we live in becomes a better place to live in and other than that I want the earth to be a bigger planet than it is now that the population will keep rising and wont stop .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most interesting wish: I like the one about Cibubur and the specific way you talked about improving the sutuation for pedestrians.

      Wise question: What educational reforms would you make in order to foster a more mature mentality in the citizens?

      ‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “My last wish is that many people will start caring about the earth such as reducing the use of machines causing polutant waste that damages the earth and many other things that will help the earth that we live in becomes a better place to live in.” Mine: “My last wish is that many people would start caring about the Earth by doing such things as reducing the use of machines that cause polution and waste that damages the planet and many other things that would help the world to become a better place to live in.”

      Delete