Session 3 Assignment
You wake up one morning and you find you can somehow have four wishes granted. The first one is some change to the house you live in that you can make instantly. Similarly, with the second wish you can change one thing about the city in which you live. Then, with the third one, you can change one thing about the country where you live and then use a fourth wish to change something about the world. With wishes number two, three and four you cannot just give people money; you have to be more creative than that! Briefly describe what your four wishes would be.
[Approx. 200 words/30 minutes' writing.]
The first wish actually is that I wished my house had an olympic sized swimming pool, although a bit unworldly and probably hard to maintain I’d still like one. The reason behind my first wish is that I'm a swimmer, during the COVID-19 pandemic I haven't had the chance to swim whatsoever so having a pool would really get me back into my routine.
ReplyDeleteThe second wish is I’d like everybody who lives in Jakarta to drive like a mentally sane person. I absolutely hate driving in Jakarta, everybody drives like a madman, from the crazy angkots to the numerous motorcycle drivers. Driving in Jakarta gives me so much stress as I can’t even have a moment to drive peacefully by myself; there will always be some random motorcyclist who slips by me unexpectedly, or some impatient driver looking to filter through traffic as if they need to go to the toilet.
For the third wish, I would really love it if Indonesia stopped polluting so much into the air and oceans. Indonesia is a huge producer of pollution, it is said that the world’s environment will be destroyed in 7 years if we keep polluting this way. If we could just reduce half of our waste, I’m sure the world and Indonesia would be a better and cleaner place.
The fourth wish is I’d like the world to stop melting. This is also related to global warming, I really miss when the world was colder. Now everywhere I go has a weird new climate or suddenly some random beach is gone due to rising waters. It would be great if Jakarta let's say it gets colder, Jakarta is so hot recently that if i leave my sandals out they might melt. I'm also sure that if the world stops melting we would be so much more comfortable.
Most interesting wish: I like the one about the mental health of drivers in Jakarta.
DeleteWise question: Is there a difference between “If we could just reduce half of our waste” and “If we could just reduce our waste by half”?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “The reason behind my first wish is that I'm a swimmer, during the COVID-19 pandemic I haven't had the chance to swim whatsoever so having a pool would really get me back into my routine.” Mine: “The reason behind my first wish is that I'm a swimmer and during the COVID-19 pandemic, I haven't had no chance whatsoever to swim, so having a pool would really get me back into my routine.” Or “The reason behind my first wish is that I'm a swimmer, during the COVID-19 pandemic I haven't had the chance to swim at all, so having a pool would really get me back into my routine.”
For the first wish, I want my house to have a bigger lawn so I can have more things to do like gardening and outdoor workout. Currently, there is no place left to do anything because it is filled with plants and koi fish ponds. Buying land isn’t even an option because my area is already full of residential housing. So this wish would make things much more interesting for me and my family.
ReplyDeleteMy second wish is for my city to be much cooler in temperature like the old days before it got packed with new residents. Sometimes the temperature is absolutely unbearable for outdoor activities. Simply saying, if you have something to do outside in the middle of the day then don't be surprised if your clothes got soaked with sweat. Also, don't ever forget to use sunscreen to protect your skin! This wish would make living in Surakarta absolutely perfect.
The third wish is for my country to be basically better at everything they do. Specifically, the economy, infrastructure, standard of living, and also all these fuss about corona handling. This is probably what every Indonesian wants to happen. I mean who doesn’t want to live comfortably.
For my last wish, I hope that the whole world is cleansed from the evil of mosquitos. Seriously, they are my worst enemy. I just can’t stand them. They make annoying sounds around your ears, they bite and make your skin itchy, and often carry diseases. I know what you’re thinking, this is the best idea ever. Very helpful to the advancement of the human race as a whole. You can thank me later.
Most interesting wish: I like the one about ridding the world of mosquitoes. After hearing about world peace, the end of intolerance, and solving climate change, I like the modesty and everyday practicality of simply getting rid of pesky mozzies!
DeleteWise question: Does Solo seem hotter than Yogyakarta or will you have to wait until the end of this ‘virtual learning’ thing before you know for sure?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “The third wish is for my country to be basically better at everything they do. Specifically, the economy, infrastructure, standard of living, and also all these fuss about corona handling. This is probably what every Indonesian wants to happen. I mean who doesn’t want to live comfortably.” Mine: “The third wish is for the people of my country to be basically better at everything they do. Specifically, the economy, infrastructure, standard of living, and also all this fuss about the handling of coronavirus. This is probably what every Indonesian wants to happen. I mean, who doesn’t want to live comfortably?”
For my first wish, I want to change the layout of my room. Right now it is quite messy as I have some boxes in it. They are filled with the things my parents want to store away while the house is under renovation. I want to stack the boxes properly and hope to clean my room while I’m at it. For the second one, I would like to change the urban planning of the town, as it is quite messy in my opinion. There is even one project left unfinished even though it is right in front of the mayor’s building on the protocol street. I also want for the town to be filled with more trees so that it looks more pleasing and the people can have this calm and fresh air. For my third wish, I want to change how education is done in Indonesia. I want to change the system by trying to provide the same updated resource to all Indonesians, especially those in rural areas, so that not one student is left behind. With my fourth wish, I would love to change the world’s view and actions towards injustice and discrimination, especially in this pandemic era, where racial injustice raise to power in some society.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting wish: I like the one about changing the layout of your room but I assume that you want the stacking of the boxes properly – and the cleaning of your room at the same time – to be done instantly by magic . Or perhaps your first wish is that you weren’t so lazy and you wish that you’d just get up and do it! It isn’t clear!
DeleteWise question: Is an “unfinished building” on the “protocol street” (whatever that means) worse than it being on some other street in the city?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “For my third wish, I want to change how education is done in Indonesia. I want to change the system by trying to provide the same updated resource to all Indonesians, especially those in rural areas, so that not one student is left behind.” Mine: “For my third wish, I want to change how education is delivered in Indonesia. I want to change the system so that it tries to provide the same up-to-date resources to all Indonesians, especially those in rural areas, so that not one student is left behind.”
As my first wish, I would like to make my house bigger with a business meeting room or a cozy working space facility. The reason I would like to have my own business room in my house is because I don’t want any longer to be a consumptive guy whose everyday going to café or some cozy working space that cost me a lot of money. As the second wish, I would like to turn my city, Yogyakarta, to be not as crowded as today. When the sun goes down and people come home from their work space, the streets become very crowded and stressful in some area of the city. As the third wish, I would like to turn my country into a developed country from the aspect of wealth. Therefore, I want to be an entrepreneur to create more work fields so every people in the country could get a job and money to live. As the fourth wish, I would like to turn the world to be a better place in every aspect. We see that today, the world faces many problems and issues like proverty, racism, inequality and many more. I wish that human race can be better if all probrems could be disappear.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting wish: I like the one about making Yogyakarta less congested although, if you just go to Jakarta and spend a few days sitting in a car in some of its infamous traffic jams and then return here, I suspect Yogyakarta will feel deserted!
DeleteWise question: Which would be the first thing you would focus on if you were tasked with making the word a better place: proverty, racism, or inequality?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “The reason I would like to have my own business room in my house is because I don’t want any longer to be a consumptive guy whose everyday going to café or some cozy working space that cost me a lot of money.” Mine: “The reason I would like to have my own business room in my house is because I no longer want to be a consumptive guy who’s going to cafés or cozy working spaces every day that costs me a lot of money.”
If all wishes would come true, I’d have no words but to also wish that it would come true. I have lots of wishes for my surroundings, small and big ones. I’d start from the house that I live in; more decorations and personalizations in my bedroom would be great. Recently moving back to this house that I have left for several years, my room is just plain empty. No cool paintings on the walls, no bright color-changing LED lights, not even a single fluffy stuffed teddy bear. I have made plans before to spice up my room a bit, but with the whole moving to Jogja again, I have lost motivation to put effort into it. I am currently in Mataram, a small city in the island of Lombok. There’s not many things that stand out to me for a change, beautiful beaches, wide sized roads (unlike Jogja), good food, and the nature that surrounds it. It is an overall tourist destination city, but the people who manage it are trying to push it too far on the limits. A gorgeous overlook of the city on a hillside view, and with a blink of an eye, somebody ruins it by putting up a weird looking heart shaped bench with christmas lights around it. I wish that this would change to conserve the beauty of my city. My surroundings are also very diverse in race and cultural backgrounds, as Indonesia consists of thousands of cultural tribes all around. It has become a huge problem in the past up until now, whether that’d be from ethnicities, religions, culture, genders, and many differences. Indonesia should be proud of its own diversities within, and I wish that people would embrace it instead of making a huge deal out of it. This also goes the same in the whole world, different races, nations, countries, opinions, education backgrounds. I wish that there were more tolerance and feelings of acceptance in this world. As humans, no one is made identical, differences should be able to come together in harmony.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting wish: I like your simple wishes for your hometown.
DeleteWise question: Aside from urging people to tolerate and embrace diversity, what actual policies and measures could turn this ideal into a reality?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “Indonesia should be proud of its own diversities within, and I wish that people would embrace it instead of making a huge deal out of it. This also goes the same in the whole world, different races, nations, countries, opinions, education backgrounds.” Mine: “Indonesia should be proud of its diversity, and I wish that people would embrace it instead of making a huge deal out of it. The same also goes for the rest of the world, with its different nations, races, opinions, and educational backgrounds.”
For my first wish, if i could change my house in an instant, I would like to change it into a more futuristic yet vintage styled house. I would like to enhance it with some antiques, brown coloured ornaments, and complete it with robotic/AI equipment. Since I love minimalistic and retro elements, I think that can make my house look modern and unique. Furthermore, if I can change one thing about my city, it would be to vanish all the traffic because Bekasi is very well known for its traffic that goes on for 24/7. I'm pretty sure that Bekasi’s traffic has halted people’s activities most of the time and has frustrated them one way or another. Thus, I would REALLY LOVE to at least reduce its traffic jam. Moreover, if i had the chance to change something about my country, it would be to change the amount of opportunity that we get for education. I believe that Indonesia does not get as much opportunity for its people to go abroad for studies as other countries. For example, in a year, only one or two people can get accepted to the Ivy League universities ( Harvard, Stanford, Yale...etc) and it is very upsetting. Thus, if I was given the opportunity, I would definitely want to change this incident. Lastly, for my fourth wish which is for the world, I would like to eliminate human greed. There are many problems in this world that we could ever think of like crime, war, racism, pollution, climate change, but the root cause of this problem is; human greed. I have to say that unfortunately, human greed has been integrated in human nature and is blinding us from the truth. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to fix it.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting wish: I like the one about educational opportunites for Indonesians.
DeleteWise question: How can you mention a list of great universities and somehow not mention the one I went to? It’s terrible.
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “Lastly, for my fourth wish which is for the world, I would like to eliminate human greed. There are many problems in this world that we could ever think of like crime, war, racism, pollution, climate change, but the root cause of this problem is; human greed.” Mine: “Lastly, for my fourth wish is for the world. There are many problems in this world that we often think of like crime, war, racism, pollution, climate change, and we know the root cause of these problems: human greed. I would like to eliminate it.”
1. If there was anything I could change about my house, the first thing that comes to mind is a huge backyard. With the addition of that area, there are a lot of different activities that I could now do. For example: Football, American Football, Badminton, and so on. Not only that, with the huge open space now available, we now have the option to hold the type of events that includes facilitating a lot of people in an outdoor setting.
ReplyDelete2. The one thing that irritates me the most in Jakarta is the amount of motorcycles present on the roads. As a driver, there is nothing scarier than when they speed up and come up from your blind spot to overtake you. The amount of times that has happened to my friends is absurd (accidents where a motorcycle crashes or bumps their car). So the wish I would like to make is; make the transportation system better (as in faster and more efficient) so that the citizens now have another option besides riding their motorcycles.
3. A big problem in this country is how everything is centralized in Jakarta. Most foreign businesses set up their branches only there and not in any other cities. Cities in Papua, for example, are still really undeveloped compared to the rest of the country. This is hindering our development for the future. Even education can’t be compared (villages vs cities), and they expect us to somehow stay united and become prosperous. So my wish is for there to be a way to spread out everything equally in Indonesia, may that be education, opportunities, or basic human needs.
4. An obvious wish would be to cure all the sickness in the world. Although personally, I would wish for Covid-19 to have never existed. This may seem insensitive, but as a 2020 graduate, there were a lot of “once in a lifetime” events that I (or we) have missed because of the virus. Examples are: graduation, prom, first day of university, and so on. The one that affected me the most was the chance that I could potentially never see most of my schoolmates again. These are petty reasons for me to wish for this while there are millions of people suffering way worse, but I just can’t help thinking it.
Most interesting wish: I like the one about developing Papua; I lived there for three years so I have a definite soft spot for that region and would like to see it catch up with the rest of Indonesia in terms of economic activity.
DeleteWise question: Don’t you need about 40 people to play American Football, and that’s not counting the eight or so judges, referees and umpires? Do you have enough friends who’d want to play?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “Not only that, with the huge open space now available, we now have the option to hold the type of events that includes facilitating a lot of people in an outdoor setting.” Mine: “Not only that, with the huge open space that would now be available, we would have the option of holding types of events that include facilitating a lot of people in an outdoor setting.”
I am happy with everything in my house so I am not going to use the first wish. For the second one is I wish that Surabaya has a lot more options of night food. So that we can eat anything that we want in the middle of the night. The third wish is about the Indonesians. I wish that Indonesian can have the same amount of money, education, rights of speech, and social justice. We can see poverty everywhere in Indonesia and there is nothing that we can do. And about the social justice, there are “social justice for the good looking”. I don’t know if you guys realize this but this is what is happening, it seems like good looking people tends to have more power in the social life. For the last wish is I wish that I can live in the world without hunger, wars, racism, and without hate. I wish that people of the world can open their eyes and see the truth. There are a lot of ethnics, race, and religions in the world. Wars and racism won’t help solving anything, it only makes it worst. Like we all know there are a lot of racism issue spreading worldwide, from white supremacist against black people to racism against Papuans. These are things that we can avoid by opening our eyes and see that we are not living alone in this world with our race, religion, and ethnicity. The world isn’t yours it is ours.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting wish: I like the one about not using one of the wishes because you don’t need it. I admire your restraint.
DeleteWise question: Is everyone having “the same amount of money” a desirable outcome?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “There are a lot of ethnics, race, and religions in the world. Wars and racism won’t help solving anything, it only makes it worst. Like we all know there are a lot of racism issue spreading worldwide, from white supremacist against black people to racism against Papuans.” Mine: “There are a lot of ethnic groups, races, and religions in the world. Wars and racism won’t help solving anything; they only make it worse. As we all know, there are a lot of issues related to racism spreading worldwide, from white supremacist against Black people to racism against Papuans.”
About the house; I personally wanted a bigger garage to store the number of cars that me and my family have. Other than the garage, I also like to add another big room for me to install a home gym. There is also useless furniture that I also need to get rid of, but my parents will get mad at me for doing that.
ReplyDeleteFor the city that I live in, because the police forces are only on duty until 4 p.m., the traffics are sometimes swarmed by a group of bike gang that does nothing but cause troubles. I wanted them to be a lot more active so that the traffic will have less disturbance.
I wanted to revoke the democracy system in my country for the third wish. What I dislike about democracy in my country or democracy in general is that people always talk about useless things that is not relevant to the problem that we are facing right now. For example, about how we should tax bike riders when they are just peacefully riding a bike during a pandemic, the reopening of a praying palace during pandemic, and other silly things that we don’t need to discuss in the first place. They will keep arguing without solving anything, maybe even worsen the situation.
There is no such thing as a perfect world, so one thing that I wanted is an advanced technology so that we can at least achieve the second level of the civilization. Yes, I am talking about the dyson sphere. The sphere works as an extractor of the sun energy so that we can use the energy to advance our civilization by upgrading our power output. Imagine the things we can do, the longevity of the power source, and the expandable civilization of the human race.
Most interesting wish: I like the one about world wide solar energy but if I lived in “the land of the midnight sun” when it was experiencing six months of “night”, I’d be worried.
DeleteWise question: I wonder what you would replace Indonesian-style democracy with.
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “I personally wanted a bigger garage to store the number of cars that me and my family have. Other than the garage, I also like to add another big room for me to install a home gym. There is also useless furniture that I also need to get rid of, but my parents will get mad at me for doing that.” Mine: “I’d personally wish for a bigger garage to store the several cars that me and my family have. Other than the garage, I would also like to add another big room for me to install a home gym. There is also useless furniture that I’d also need to get rid of, but my parents would get mad at me for doing that.”
1. If I can make changes to my home, I will add restaurants and sport facilities. During this pandemic, I really miss outdoor activities and some junk foods. So, it would be great if we just walk for a second to do that, rather than paying tens of thousands for gojek to send your food or bring you to the arena.
ReplyDelete2. Secondly, I wish the city where I live, Semarang, would be greener. There are a lot of transportations cause air pollution. I hope it could be changed to electricity car, so I don’t have to cover my nose if I take a walk on the working hours.
3. I think my third wish is very common. For Indonesian people, they want this country where there is no dispute related to religion, ethnic, or race and free of corruption. Those cases are like a habit for some citizens. It is a miracle if it can be eliminated instantly.
4. My last wish for the current world is all of the nation can help each other regardless of the crisis. They could support one another instead of making a trade war. By doing that, I hope all of the countries can be equal either in finance or technology.
Most interesting wish: I like the one about having “restaurants” selling “junk food” added to your house. It just seems a little crazy to me!
DeleteWise question: With regard to “all of the countries (being) equal either in finance or technology”, do you ever wonder if it is inequality that drives development and growth because it is inequality that creates demand and competition?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “For Indonesian people, they want this country where there is no dispute related to religion, ethnic, or race and free of corruption. Those cases are like a habit for some citizens. It is a miracle if it can be eliminated instantly.” Mine: “For the Indonesian people, I want this country to be a place where there are no disputes related to religion, ethnicity, or race and which is also free of corruption. Problems such as thise are like a habit for some citizens. It would be a miracle if they could be eliminated instantly.”
As I see, this pandemic of coronavirus has not gone yet. And everything goes hard and difficult these days, especially the run of economics in every country that affects the layoffs or firing of thousands of laborers across the world. Once the laborers could not get their wages, they can not feed themself, live their family, pay the school tuition fees, and so on. So, firstly I wish I could make my family aware of the existence of the coronavirus outside of the house because big things start from small things. So, I think I could persuade my family early before I want the others. Next, I wish I could manipulate the citizens' mind to assume that every citizen in this city are exposed by the coronavirus, so they can interact carefully with the others and would maintain the discipline to apply the rules. Third, I want to make this country is having one command in instructing the strict rules for the public. It could be, to lock down the country for a few months, to give a firm sanction, and so on. So we can pass out this pandemic fastly. The last, I wish every country in this world will have the same feelings about this challenge, also to set aside the personal interest or ego of each country, so that every country will work together and cooperate each other to face the coronavirus.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting wish: I like the one about dealing with the pandemic firmly.
DeleteWise question: Do you ever wonder if our preoccupation with the virus has distracted us from other major problems facing the world?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “I want to make this country is having one command in instructing the strict rules for the public. It could be, to lock down the country for a few months, to give a firm sanction, and so on. So we can pass out this pandemic fastly.” Mine: “I want to make it so this country has one authority that lays out the strict rules for the public. It could be to lock down the country for a few months, to impose firm sanctiona, and so on. This would be so we coulld get passed this pandemic quickly.”
Okay so let's get on with the four wishes granted. The first one is something i want to change about my home, well actually my home is already a convenience place to live and I liked where I live. I love my backyard, great neighbors, and other things (except for having a bad place for the internet connection), but I think it will be cooler if I can add like a secret basement where I can play games or watch movie with my friends without being interrupted by my siblings.
ReplyDeleteThe second wish is what I want to change from my city, Jakarta, is less air pollution and more electric vehicle. It is very upsetting when other city can have a blue sky, meanwhile in Jakarta all you see is a gray sky. Other than the gray sky, it also causes the temperature rising, that can impact to the global warming. To solve this problem, one of the solution is by using advanced electric vehicle to replace the transportation that emit gases such as carbon monoxide. I hope this kind of vehicle can come to us in the future.
As for the third wish, I wish that everyone in my country can get adequate education . At least with those that have problems with accessing E-learning, especially those who lives in rural areas, can be provided places with some tools, devices, that can support them during this covid pandemic. Even when the pandemic over, I hope that we can still develop these things so that people can adapt well to the new era of learning.
For the last wish, I wish that climate change would've stop worsening. I am super worried as how climate change highly affected our world, I can't imagine how our futures going to be without the blue sky, clean water, and animals like giraffe or dolphin (species that may extinct). Furthermore, it will be chaos when some population had to migrate since their country got drowned with the ocean when the ices from the south pole and north pole melts.
Most interesting wish: I like the one about e-learning; you’re the first student whose writing I’ve read who has made this suggestion (or this wish, rather).
DeleteWise question: Do you realize that, even if the world takes more action on the issue of climate change, the positive outcomes from that may not be evident until after you’re gone?
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “The first one is something i want to change about my home, well actually my home is already a convenience place to live and I liked where I live.” Mine: “The first one is something I want to change about my home which is, actually, already a comfortable place to live and I like living there.”
My first wish would be to have a huge library in my house. This is due to the fact that I like reading books and collecting them in my bookshelves. However, as time goes by, more books are scattered around my room as there is little room left to keep them on the shelves. My big library would be a place where I could keep all my books based on their different genres. It will have cozy seats where I could spend hours reading undisturbed. If I could change one thing about Bekasi, that would be its infrastructure. Although some parts of the city are already well-developed, some areas are still the opposite. Thirdly, one thing I would like to change about my country is the mindset of the citizens. I wish everyone wasn't so entitled to their opinion that they forgot to appreciate and tolerate other people's. We are often too busy holding onto our beliefs and values that we would set aside things that don't align with it. Lastly, if I could change one thing about the world, I would eliminate human greed as it is the core of all our problems. We would do anything to fulfill our happiness that we sometimes neglect other people's wellbeing.
ReplyDeleteMost interesting wish: I like the one about eliminating greed but might it not be the case that your future career in business will be fuelled by the greed of your customers?
ReplyDeleteWise question: You said: “I wish everyone wasn't so entitled to their opinion that they forgot to appreciate and tolerate other people's.” I say: you are entitled to your opinion, Laras.
‘Compare Yours To Mine’: “This is due to the fact that I like reading books and collecting them in my bookshelves. However, as time goes by, more books are scattered around my room as there is little room left to keep them on the shelves. My big library would be a place where I could keep all my books based on their different genres. It will have cozy seats where I could spend hours reading undisturbed.” Mine: “This is due to the fact that I like reading books and collecting them on my bookshelves. However, as time goes by, more books would be scattered around my room as there would be little room left to keep them on the shelves. My big library would be a place where I could keep all my books based on their different genres. It would have cozy seats where I could spend hours reading undisturbed.”