Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

20 September 2020

Session 2 Class C - 23rd September 2020

Tell us about the discipline system at your high school. 

Tell us more about your family. 

Tell us about the sport of badminton while assuming that none of us know anything about it. 

Tell us about your sports injury and your rehabilitation. 

Tell us what interest you about the stock market. 

Tell us what you think of Yogyakarta even though you are “from” the city but have always lived in Jakarta. 

You talked about “proper Javanese social ethics in everyday life”; tell us more about what that means. 

Tell us about livimg in Saudi Arabia while assuming that we know nothing about the country. 

Tell us about Arizona. 

Tell us what it is that makes you love Goldie the cat. 

Tell us about what it takes to be a serious swimmer. 

Tell us a bit about two Netflix series you enjoyed that you watched this year. 

Tell us about the comics you have most rnjoyed.

26 comments:

  1. Tell us a bit about two Netflix series you enjoyed that you watched this year.

    With Covid-19 going around, everyone has spent the majority of 2020 at home. Usually, before the quarantine started, I could just go out when I got bored of just sleeping around. Since that isn’t an option anymore, I had to resort to new sources of entertainment, and that was what brought me to Netflix. There were a lot of shows that I started and completed this year, but the two series that “stuck” with me the most were “Friends” and “New Girl”. Now that I think about it, both these shows are actually quite similar. They are sitcoms (situational comedies) about a group of friends who live together (or close by). Maybe what I enjoyed about it was the sense of “lightness” of the show. That meant that it wasn’t a serious show where you needed to focus to understand what was going on. It was something you could just leave playing in the background while doing something else but still understood the main gist of the episode. Another reason why I may be amused by them is because it might be something I want to also experience in the future. The situation where I live with some of my friends may it be during or after university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: “Usually, before the quarantine started, I could just go out when I got bored of just sleeping around.” What a candid thing to reveal about yourself!

      Matter arising: I suggest you try “Seinfeld”. I am not predicting you will like it; it’s just that, seeing as it was probably even more successful than “Friends”, you should take a look at it.

      Vocabulary tip: I don’t think you know what the prepositional verb “sleeping around” means.

      Grammar edit: “Since that isn’t an option anymore, I had to resort to new sources of entertainment, and that was what brought me to Netflix”. You’re telling the story in the past tense so this needs to be “that wasn’t an option anymore” even though what you are talking about still applies now.

      Delete
  2. Talk About Family

    First thing first, I want to clarify that both of my parents have not died yet. Now that we get that info out of the way, let’s talk about my family. Me and my family originated from Bandung, but has live most of our live in Jakarta. We sometimes visit Jogja too because that is where my father originated from. We started our life in Jakarta when I was 1st grade. The reason we started living in Jakarta was because of my father’s work, and also because me and my brother have schools that we wanted to transfer to. I choose Pantara elementary school as a school for me to transfer, while my brother chooses Al-Azhar. Life in Jakarta was easy to get used to. Well at least for me.

    Now, let’s talk about my father. My father is born in Yogyakarta on 7th of September 1962. He worked as a director in cyber building. I describe him as someone wise, but constantly makes dad jokes in a serious conversation which made it awkward. I still regard him as one of my role models because he originated from a poor family.

    About my mother. She is born in Bandung on 10th of August 1975. She is a kind and caring mother, but she always finds something to nag about. For example, how I have not dried my hair, not finishing my assignment although it’s due next week, and some other “almost” useless things. I also regard her as a role model because of how kind and caring she is.

    Now for my brother, He is also born in Bandung on 27th of January 2000. Me and him are usually close, but when high school started, we always went to study separately. For example, when I study in Jakarta he studied in Yogyakarta, or recently, when I studied in UGM he studied in Rennes University in France. We have always find ourselves busy with our own schoolwork to the point where it's kind of "separate" us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matter arising: “I describe him as someone wise, but constantly makes dad jokes in a serious conversation which made it awkward.” Sometimes, “dad jokes” convey hidden wisdom.

      Vocabulary tip: “We have always find ourselves busy with our own schoolwork to the point where it's kind of "separate" us.” The word “separate” has to be in the verb III form because it is being used in the present perfect tense: “It has kind of separated us”. This is a grammar point, really, rather than a vocabulary one.

      Grammar edit: [1] “We sometimes visit Jogja too because that is where my father originated from.” Interestingly, the past tense “originated”is OK here (unlike “came from”, which was not quite right).

      [2] “About my mother; she is born in Bandung on 10th of August 1975.” This has to be past tense (she WAS born in 1975… she COMES from Bandung… she ORIGINATED from Bandung).

      Delete
  3. Tell us about your sports injuries and rehabilitation.

    First of all, meniscus is sort of a cartilage that protects the knee joint. So about four or five years ago, I tore my left lateral meniscus when I tried to grab the ball from someone else. If I am not mistaken that it was the first quarter and we are leading by two or three. When I first fell down, I really didn’t feel any pain because of the adrenaline rush. I never felt the pain. I only felt that I couldn’t move my knee in the mid of the second quarter. I sat on the bench the entire third and fourth quarters and we ended up losing the game. After the game, I went to a sports Doctor and the Doctor said that I tore my meniscus and he couldn’t do the standard surgery because I am still 14 and the minimum age to do the surgery is 18 years old. The Doctor recommended me to go to a sports rehabilitation. So, I have no better options than going to the rehabilitation. I went to the rehab about three to four times a week and I went for almost 6 months. The therapist told me that I am able to be fully recovered in four months if I used the wheelchair instead of walking, but I disobeyed her and ended with six months of rehab.
    Later on, when I was in high school, I ruptured my right foot’s Achilles due too overusing them and ended up going back to the same sports rehabilitation. I still got a lot of injuries to tell you guys, but maybe that’s all from me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: “When I first fell down, I really didn’t feel any pain because of the adrenaline rush. I never felt the pain.” Normally, you might expect me to complain about the repetition here (“feel/felt” and “pain”). But in this case, the repetition adds some drame to your telling of the story.

      Matter arising: What does all this mean for your career as a sportsman?

      Vocabulary tip: “I couldn’t move my knee in the mid of the second quarter”. This should be “I couldn’t move my knee mid-second quarter” (not so good, now that I see it on my screen, but better than yours) or “I couldn’t move my knee in the middle of the second quarter”.

      A different point:

      Don’t capitalize “doctor” except when it is the official title of someone and you are saying their name too. e.g. “I went to see Doctor Smith”. Having said that, we would usually write this “Dr. Smith”.

      Grammar edit: “He couldn’t do the standard surgery because I am still 14 and the minimum age to do the surgery is 18 years old.” Compare yours to mine: “He couldn’t do the standard surgery because I was still 14 years old and the minimum age was 18.”

      Delete
  4. Tell us about the comics you have most enjoyed.

    I enjoyed reading Detective Conan the most out of all comics since I was eight years old. It all started when my brother influenced me to read it. I remember the first chapter that I have ever read from this comic, it was about a murder in a theme park. Seeing how the character solves the mystery it impress me. In a whole, Detective Conan tell us about an amazing high school detective who got shrunk because of drugs given to him by the bad guys. In his little body, he tries to solve all the cases that he got involved meanwhile he is trying to get back to his normal body. The reason why I like it is because while i read this comic, i feel like i also got involved in the story so it also challenges my brain to solve the cases. I would recommend this comic for all of you who liked mystery, crime, action genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: “The reason why I like it is because, while I am reading this comic, I feel like I also get involved in the story so it also challenges my brain to solve the cases.” Note the edits I have made.

      Matter arising: Do you like crime and mystery in films and TV as well?

      Vocabulary tip: “Detective Conan tells us about an amazing high school detective who got shrunk because of drugs given to him by the bad guys.” Perhaps you could use the word “sleuth” so as to avoid repetition of the word “detective”. Like this: “Detective Conan tells us about an amazing high school slueth who got shrunk because of drugs given to him by the bad guys.”

      Grammar edit: [1] “I enjoyed reading Detective Conan the most out of all comics since I was eight years old.” This sounds like there are a couple of words missing even though your meaning is pretty clear. Compare yours to mine: “I have enjoyed reading Detective Conan the most out of all the comics I have read since I was eight years old.” Take note of what I have added.

      [2] “Seeing how the character solves the mystery it impress me.” The word “it” is not needed. The subject here is a nound phrase consisting of seven words: “Seeing how the character solves the mystery”. That’s the subject and it is treated as 3rd person singular. Like this: “Seeing how the character solves the mystery impresses me.”

      Delete
    2. Shafa, you need to find time to write 20-30 more words than this in your Wednesday tasks.

      Delete
  5. Tell us about what it takes to be a serious swimmer

    To be honest being a serious swimmer is hard. Swimming for leisure is the absolute opposite of swimming for sport or competitions. I personally started swimming seriously at the age of 15, it actually wasn't the best age to start any sport but i did it anyway. Swimming requires hours of training everyday, i would say at least 3-4 hours of pushing your body to the limit. I used to swim according to training regiments called sets where we determine how much we swim through meters and how many times we do a certain length. I personally think that most endurance sports such as swimming running and bicycling are just secretly torture. I think like that because the things you think and experience when swimming a long set is horrible, you can feel your stamina being sucked away, you can feel when your body is going to cramp up, and you can feel the temperature of the water just bugging you. Maybe I'm saying this because I had a demon as a coach. Anyway swimming is a sport that you must do everyday, swimming relies on technique and stamina; with that in mind the more you swim the more you will be at your peak performance. Aside from that you really need to pace yourself from the start of the training session because if not you will probably be exhausted halfway through and worst case scenario you might not even finnish all the sets, and let me tell you forcing yourself to swim without stamina is horrible. In swimming competitions you also need to squeeze out all your energy sprinting and the mentality to squeeze everything out even if it's only for a minute is crushing. But what you really need is hard work, determination, and a very very strong mindset

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: “Swimming for leisure is the absolute opposite of swimming for sport or competitions.” This is a striking sentence that sets the tone for your explanation of competitive swimming.

      Matter arising: “I personally started swimming seriously at the age of 15; it actually wasn't the best age to start any sport, but I did it anyway.” (Notice my edits.) What is the best age to start swimming?

      Vocabulary tip: “Swimming is a sport that you must do everyday”. The word “everyday” is an adjective and is used like this: “Heavy rain is an everday occurrence during the wet season” (what KIND of occirance is it? An “everyday” one… adjective!) What you should have here is “Swimming is a sport that you must do every day” (“every” is a determiner and “day” is the noun).

      Grammar edit: After expressions like these, when they start sentences, “To be honest”, “Aside from that”, and Anyway”, there needs to be a comma.

      Delete
  6. Tell us about the sport of badminton while assuming that none of us know anything about it.


    I mentioned badminton on my introduction page earlier. In this blog, I would like to tell my journey on this sport. I was introduced by my dad at early age. He said that Badminton would fit me because he didn’t allow me to go for physical contact sport like basketball of football. I joined a club near my hometown for almost three years. I started to play on tournaments, though I didn’t win most of it. The dilemma came after I graduated from elementary school. My dad suggested me to go on for my career while my mom wanted me to continue the education. Finally, I decided to follow on what he said. I entered a bigger club in Jakarta and trained twice until thrice a day. Being a real athlete was a great experience for me. I learned a lot of lessons like if you want to become a champion, you have to work harder than anyone else. I kept on doing those exercise over two years until I got hamstring injury. I was advised by the doctor to rest and stop playing. It needed long time recovery and when I went back to field, I realized that my leg didn’t work like it used to be. I felt quite frustrated at the moment where all my effort just gone by that way. My parents told me that it’s okay to not become an athlete anymore because there are many ways to reach success. Eventually, I enrolled to senior high school. I had a lot of beautiful stories during senior years but it’s going to be a different one. I think that’s the end of it. I hope you guys enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: “Finally, I decided to follow on what he said. I entered a bigger club in Jakarta and trained twice until thrice a day.” I love the word “thrice”, but, alas, it isn’t used much anymore these days. Here’s what one source on the web said: “Although 'thrice' is not incorrect , it is becoming dated in present-day English, and only used for comical effect, or to express an archaic concept.” I like the fact that you have used it but “three times” is better.

      Matter arising: Do you still plan to play badminton for fun?

      Vocabulary tip: “He said that Badminton would fit me because he didn’t allow me to go for physical contact sport like basketball of football.” [1] Small “b” for “badminton”. [2] The verb “suit” is better than “fit”. [3] “Sport” is a countable noun so it needs an article (“a” or “the”): “to go for a physical contact sport”.

      Grammar edit: “My dad suggested me to go on for my career while my mom wanted me to continue the education.” Compare yours to mine: “My dad suggested that I go for my career while my mom wanted me to continue the education.”

      Delete
  7. Tell us about Arizona.

    If only you could imagine, “hell” and “heaven” in the same place at the exact same time, it would most definitely be this state. Arizona, a southwestern state in the United States of America, is well known for its dry scorching heat of sun all year round and dry deserts filled with human-height cacti/cactuses. Well, those things are not necessarily wrong all along, except for the fact that the widely populated State has several “cool” places. Grand Canyon, Red Rocks, Lake Powell, and the coolest of them all is a town called Flagstaff. Different from the heat horror in the state capital City of Phoenix, Flagstaff is a small town in North Arizona with cold weather all year round. Up to 3ft of snow in winter, it does not get better than cancelled classes on snow days. Snow tipped mountain peaks and clear water creeks, the hazy aroma of pine in high altitude crisp air, Flagstaff felt very much like home for me. Great small circle of friends, strong bond of Indonesian family communities, overall nice and calm population of people. This also is a reciprocate from the hectic situation and busy people in Phoenix. Overall, with a lot of varieties of culture, ethnicity, top universities nationwide, and weather all come together to harmonize in a beautiful state to always be the Arizona I have always remembered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: Your striking opening sentence sets this piece up very well.

      Matter arising: Do you think you will ever find yourself in Arizona again?

      Vocabulary tip: Don’t write “cacti/cactuses”, just choose one of them. Personally, I think “cactuses” is better because there is some debate over whether “cacti” is wrong! [1] Some say this: The plural for cactus is Cactuses . Cactus is derived from the German word Kaktus. To say cacti would suggest that it is from a Latin word.” [2] Others say this: “Cacti is the Latin plural of cactus, and some writers use it in English. Cactuses is the English plural.” [3] And then others say: “Confusion arises over the plural of cactus because its original plural form (cacti) derives from Latin and native English speakers are drawn to cactuses, which adheres to the standard ruling for forming plurals. Both cactuses and cacti are acceptable. Of note, cacti is the more common plural.” [4] Meanwhile, I can’t decide of this debate is legitimate. So I think “cactuses” is CERTAINLY correct and the only question mark hangs over “cacti”.

      Grammar edit: “Up to 3ft of snow in winter, it does not get better than cancelled classes on snow days.” This works if you insert “with” before “up to three feet of snow” (note the the word “three” and no abbreviation of “feet” is preferrable). Like this: “With up to three feet of snow in winter, it does not get better than cancelled classes on snow days.”

      Delete
  8. “Tell us about the discipline system in your high school”

    As I have told you in my last week’s comment, my school is quite strict about tardiness. Although some students are quite mischievous and very creative in their approach with the rules. For your information, we have morning run every Friday at five-thirty in the morning. And on that day, we are supposed to be at school before five-fifteen. There was this one time, where I was late by two minutes but managed to get away from punishment that day because of a miscommunication between the teachers. But that accident left me wondering about how other students avoid the punishment, specifically on Friday. I asked around and a few of my friends told me the tricks. On Thursday, some students would put their bag containing Friday’s uniform and books on their lockers, so that on Friday, they can easily blend in with the students who arrived early on the morning run. Some students had once hidden themselves in the back of their car and told the driver to come into the school’s parking lot, picked the furthest parking spot from the school’s entrance where teachers and security usually are, and sneak into to the school through the canteen entrance. Although I think this happened purely based on luck, because on that day the school happened to have an extracurricular expo and usually cars are allowed to enter the parking lot because students tend to bring properties for the expo. Another trick someone performed was by throwing their bag into the school’s property and then join others on the running route. This was done around the Mosque and canteen area, where it’s less crowded in the morning, and so logically the chance of getting caught is slim. Unfortunately for this student, there was one teacher that day who saw the unlucky bag, being thrown over a two-meter wall into the school’s property that morning and figured out things quickly. The owner of the bag was quickly found and received punishment for it. It all comes down to pure luck, whether you can escape the system or not, so my best bet is to go with the rules and save yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: ‘It all comes down to pure luck, whether you can escape the system or not, so my best bet is to go with the rules and save yourself.” Some great stories and so this was a nice way to end your piece.

      Matter arising: What would be your attitude to punctuality if you ran a senior high school?

      Vocabulary tip: “There was this one time, where I was late by two minutes but managed to get away from punishment that day because of a miscommunication between the teachers.” [1] No comma after “one time” and then “when” is better than “where” because you just said “time”! [2] rather than “get away from”, perhaps “avoid” or “evade” or “elude” or “escape” are better words to choose.

      Grammar edit: “As I have told you in my last week’s comment, my school is quite strict about tardiness. Although some students are quite mischievous and very creative in their approach with the rules.” The second of these sentences is not a full sentence because the word “although” turns it into a subordinate clause that needs to be linked to another sentence (the one before it, in this case). Compare yours to mine: “As I told you in my comment last week, my school was quite strict about tardiness, although some students were quite mischievous and very creative in their approach to the rules.” Take a look at the edits I made and try to figure out what my reason for each one was.

      Delete
  9. Tell us about living in Saudi Arabia while assuming that we know nothing about the country.

    Saudi Arabia isn’t a deserted country with only camels and sand around, like some of you might have imagined, instead it is a metropolitan and religious country. I would say living there is quite tough as it is full of restrictions and women are not as free as men. For example, before the adjustment of their rules, women were not allowed to drive, go out alone, or even ride a public taxi! On top of that, we also have to comply with their islamic dress code, the abaya ( an islamic wear ), every time we step outside. Nonetheless, it has some things that we can look up to, like their discipline. One thing for sure, Saudi Arabia is very firm with their regulations where a single disobedience would lead to an immediate sanction and this plays a major role educating their citizens. People in Saudi Arabia are very disciplined and follows every rule that is implemented in the country. For instance, people obey traffic light rules, speed limits, and parking violations perfectly. Fun fact, throughout my eight years living in the country, I have never experienced a single traffic jam. Moving on, you guys might think that the temperature in Jakarta/Yogyakarta is terribly hot, but it is nothing compared to Saudi Arabia. Their summer is like an open oven because you have to survive with a 65 degrees celsius temperature everyday. However, their winter is bearable. I guess that's it about living in Saudi Arabia


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: “Saudi Arabia isn’t a deserted country with only camels and sand around, like some of you might have imagined, instead it is a metropolitan and religious country.” I think this a great start especially in light of the exact wording of the task I set you.

      Matter arising: “We also have to comply with their islamic dress code, the abaya ( an islamic wear ), every time we step outside.” What would have happened if you hadn’t?

      Vocabulary tip: “For instance, people obey traffic light rules, speed limits, and parking violations perfectly.” [1] We can just say “people obey traffic light”, and [2] because you are talking about what people obey, you should say (they obey) “parking restrictions”. One cannot “obey” a “violation”.

      Grammar edit: “Fun fact, throughout my eight years living in the country, I have never experienced a single traffic jam.” Now that your time ther eis over, perhaps this grammar serves you meaning better: “Fun fact, throughout my eight years living in the country, I never experienced a single traffic jam.”

      Delete
  10. Everyone calls me the crazy cat lady. In fact, I believe that is the only attribute that makes me stand out. I am that one girl everyone sends cat memes to or being seen as the perfect candidate for their cat's next owner. As you could probably have guessed, I owned a dozen cats in the past before, but no cat of mine is as special as Goldie. If Goldie was a person, she would probably be the definition of perfect– looks and personality, she got it all. She demands attention from everyone in the household and likes to jump to people's lap. Not enough cuteness for you? She likes to scratch my bedroom door in the middle of the night, meowing and begging to sleep with me. Not just that, but Goldie likes to lick my tears when I cry and sits there staring at me. I think it is fair to say that she is the fluffiest and fattest cat I've ever owned. You are probably thinking "how can a cat be this angelic?" and think that all cats do is sleep and eat and grunts. Well I guess not this one cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Tell us what it is that makes you love Goldie the cat"

      Delete
    2. Favourite part: “If Goldie was a person, she would probably be the definition of perfect– looks and personality, she’s got it all.” I like this. It sums up your estimation of her perfectly. Note the edit that I have made.

      Matter arising: Are you going to arrange for her to have kittens?

      Vocabulary tip: ‘She demands attention from everyone in the household and likes to jump to people's lap.” It’s “onto” rather than “on” and “lap” should be plural because there as as many “laps” as there are people.

      Grammar edit: “As you could probably have guessed, I owned a dozen cats in the past before, but no cat of mine is as special as Goldie.” Using the present perfect tense here (twice) will make what you are saying clearer. I am assuming you currently only have one cat although you have other cats previously. (Note my other edits too. e.g. no need for “could” and “before”.) Like this: “As you have probably guessed, I have owned a dozen cats in the past, but no cat of mine has been as special as Goldie.” Now, I changed “no cat of mine is as special as Goldie” to “no cat of mine has been as special as Goldie”. This is optional and not a correction.

      Delete
  11. Kevin, You talked about “proper Javanese social ethics in everyday life”; tell us more about what that means.

    Javanese culture is richly enveloped in an idea of respecting oneself and others. It is natural to be respectful to those around you especially to older people. Javanese in this case take it quite seriously. For example we always use the term “mas” and “mbak” to people who we know are older than oneself if the age difference is not that far. I can’t think of calling my senior in college with only their name. Perhaps that is because of how I was raised by my parents and grandparents. Another example is when we pass in front of older people we need to bow our head and back as a symbol of respect and acknowledgment. Little things like when we shake older people’s hand we usually bow our head and if it was one of the family then we bow our head while pulling their hand until it touches one of the cheek or forehead. Also, when we talk to older javanese people we usually use a much more polite form of javanese and if we can’t do that then we use proper bahasa indonesia to communicate because the lowest which is the “ngoko” form is only used to others of the same age group or social status.

    Another etiquette of javanese person is something we call “pekewuh” which is a feeling of not wanting to burden anyone else or make them sad. It sounds good but sometimes it goes against the true feeling of the person. For example when a friend asked for help usually the person who is being asked will just accept it anyway even though he/she is already very busy of taking care of their own business, Or perhaps when we are reviewing or judging someone else work we usually just say “Yeah this is good.” if it’s atleast moderate and would say “Yeah this is good but it can be better.” if it was bad. Simply speaking we hide our own real opinions in an effort to keep others honor intact and their feelings happy. Of course not all javanese do this. Many are much more relaxed on these ethics. I guess it’s just my family and how they choose to raise me. In the end it all depends on the individuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Favourite part: “Simply speaking we hide our own real opinions in an effort to keep others honor intact and their feelings happy.” I think this is very true. I also thing it is an approach to life that is more prevalent in south east Asia and east Asia than it is in the West, for example. Interestingly, I think it is more true in British cultures than it is in other European ones.

      Matter arising: “We always use the term “mas” and “mbak” to people who we know are older than oneself if the age difference is not that far.” Actually, I thought “mas” and “mbak” were for addressing peers or people younger than us.

      Vocabulary tip: “I can’t think of calling my senior in college with only their name.” Interestingly, you probably HAVE to do this when speaking English (at least when the English is not influenced by your mother tongue) because we do not have the necessary vocabulary in English to reflect these interpersonal relationships and hierarchies.

      Grammar edit: Get into the habit of using correct capitalization. Don’t be too casual about these details.

      Delete
  12. Tell us about why the stock market is interesting

    The stock market is a market that provides stock transaction services for companies that have been listed on the stock market itself. Stock itself is a proof of claim as a company owner. In Indonesia we have an Indonesian stock market which is commonly called the IDX.
    In the IDX, at least there are 540 companies that have been listed, so that people can get access and trade for those companies stocks.

    For me, there is a reason why Stock Market is interesting. The reason is because It can give you much percentage of profit in a day if you can read the market condition and the chart properly. Based on my experience before, I once got profit for IDR 600 thousand in a day. At that time, I bought Bank BRI Syariah stocks for IDR 5 million in the morning and sold it for IDR 5,6 million in the evening.

    Although there is a big chance to gain big profit, trading in the stock market is also come with a big risk. Therefore, there is something called “risk management” to reduce our risk for gaining losses when do trading in the stock market lesser. One thing we can do as a part of our risk management, is to study about stock market trading strategies first before we trade. There are many books that provide strategies for learning and trading wisely in the stock market. The more you study, the less risk you have, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tell us what you think of Yogyakarta even though you are “from” the city but have always lived in Jakarta.



    Actually I have loved Yogyakarta since before I have moved to Yogya for my senior high schoool studies. From my childhood, my parents are annually visits Yogya to celebrate the Eid Mubarak, or Indonesians people like to say it as “mudik” or “pulang kampung”. So, I used to visit Yogya for minimum one time a year, while mostly we visited Yogya for two or three times a year, because most of my parent’s family are living in Yogya, so we would like to meet them, having a conversation, go somewhere together, and many more, so as a moeslem we have to tighten a term that are called “silaturahmi” to our family, the word “silaturahmi” means keep and maintain affection and hospitality each other. Since that tradition, I have seen Yogya as a beautiful city, where every site of this city has it’s own history and has a unique mean, the example that I always impressed is the imaginary ine that stretched from the Parangkusumo Beach in the south and Merapi Moutain in the north, the line has an implied meaning of Javanese’s life timeline from it’s very beginning of birth until the closure of their life, and that is very meaningful and valuable for us the Javanese, if we want to strengthly hold the values and follow the Javanese norms or Javanese teaching, and apply them in our daily life. I think the best predicate for the city like Yogyakarta is “a city of hospitality”, where every people here are nodding every time we passed each other, and they do it sincerely from the bottom of their heart, they will never get bored of such that simple things, they will always perform their smile and a welcoming face to every people they meet, no matter they do not recognize the person before. Another thing that I like the most is the politeness and modest of the people inside. “Wong Jogja”, what people are usually recognize the Yogyakartans, mostly say “nyuwun sewu” or “excuse me” when they pass through the people that are older. That is such a rare tradition in this modern and globalization era, and that what always make me impressed the city. There are many places to visit in Yogyakarta, but I will not get bored to visit them for many times, because I feel like something new will create different experience and impression. Finally, I will always tend to miss Yogya when I hear a song “Yogyakarta” by KLa Project, because the song represent the city completely, and it seems to encourage the people to come back to Yogya. And I will always fall in love with Yogya from first to tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete