Purpose

Student Writing: Troubleshooting & Advice

30 July 2020

Session 10 - Class B ~ Virtual Learning

  Class B - The Perfect Class


It can be fiction or it can be non-fiction.

The title:

"Virtual Learning"

Exactly 100 words. 

Write and post two of them if you feel like it.

I will respond to - and edit - every one of them.

I will end up broadcasting some of them in the UK in 2021 to commemorate the first anniversary of the COVOD-19 lockdown there. 

I will let the authors of the selected stories know.

17 comments:

  1. I’m pretty sure that nobody including me, never expected to have this kind of virtual learning for the whole semester. At first, I was really scared that I wouldn’t be able to adapt and understand the course via online learning. But as time went by, I started to adjust myself and surprisingly I felt comfortable already. Nevertheless, I still got some negative impacts such as red eyes, back pain, and some kind of syndrome because staring at the monitor for too long. It was also harder for me to interact with my classmates. I’m looking forward to offline classes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virtual Learning

    Everyday it’s the same routine. I wake up, shower, eat, and attend my virtual lectures. Easy, carefree, untroubled is what I though of it at first. As the days went by I grew restless, weary, my physical being contorting out of the chair that is bound to me. Uncomfortable, unfocused, I can feel my neck and back hurting, I sense my eyes glazing over my monitor. Day after day, it goes on, it gets worse. No matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to find any silver lining. O how I long for things to be back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virtual Learning

    The news said it all. We need to stay home to stop the spread of the virus. At first, I was so excited. I thought learning at home will be so more comfortable than going to campus. I spoke too soon. Every day I wake up, turn on my computer, join the virtual learning platform, turn off my microphone and webcam, then there are endless distractions in my peripheral view, such as playing with my phone, continue to sleep, watch TV shows, and many other activities. I hate this. I hope this virtual learning will end soon; otherwise, I'm screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the early March of 2021, we thought we could finally cherish back to the old days. We had so much confidence regarding the safety of the vaccine to the point where side effects never came across our minds. Shortly after, there was a mass reporting of extermination in different countries due to the vaccines. We quickly realize one thing: COVID 19 will always be with us. Here we are in 2045 where our VR lives are more valuable than real life. We go to school, but we don't really go there. Is it real life or just a fantasy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virtual Learning

    Students have been dreaming of staying home and having classes at home throughout our school years. Most of us thought that maybe it would be a good idea to stay at home rather than going to school as we would be more relaxed. Until one day, a virus spread all around the world which led to a pandemic and forced everyone to stay at home. Ever Since then, everything was online. Students have come to realise that having online schools are as stressful or sometimes even more stressful than offline schools. Many students have felt lonely, stressed, anxious and depressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clock was ticking, the only thing that managed to knock some sense to her thick skull as a wake-up call to reality. The bright computer screen slowly dimmed into never-ending blackness. Her eyes glimmered with tears, releasing her inner chaos and sorrow. She was on the verge of breaking down, slowly losing her rationality. She was fully aware that her current work environment would make her stray further away from the right path; she couldn’t seem to resist the temptations to do more entertaining things. Funny, isn’t it? We learned things the hard way to cherish our normal situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Virtual learning might be something I've expected to have since it's more practical and time-saving. But I definitely do not wish that this dream finally came true in this kind of situation. I'd expected to experience it when the technology and lecturer are ready, but now, ready or not, we all have to deal with it. With all the benefits that come with virtual learning, it is harder to get close fast, as we never meet each other in real life yet. But, it also encourages us to be able to adapt to the changes. So, cheers to virtual learning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Virtual learning, at first this is what all students has ever dreamed about, thinking that they can learn better at home as they are in their most comfortable place, their own bedrooms. As 2020 came the coronavirus pandemic hit the whole world by surprise and virtual learning became a reality. At first everyone was so happy and by time people were dreading to go back to school, people were sleeping and not learning, not understanding the lecture as it did not feel right to ask the teacher or professor, virtual learning is something we students never knew we don't want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Virtual learning is said as blessing in disguise. I hardly focus to majority of the lecturers, and I do apologize for my fault, because adaptation is a big challenge. During online period, I explore a lot aspects from non-academic for example by joining workshops or softskill seminars which can expand my knowledge and also networking. Virtual learning give me a lot of trigger to use my time wisely and also find the hidden benefit of the online situation. I hope the condition is getting better next year, and we can return into the normal life, not the so-called new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Virtual Learning

    Never have I ever thought that a physical attending class is something that I miss and cherish the most. Although I have always had fun during my time at high school, I never expected that I would complete the rest of my high school classes in an online format. Classes just didn’t feel the same way and I started to wander off in my consciousness during my lectures on a regular basis. Some people say that online classes are efficient, but I just don’t feel the excitement of classes anymore. Some people say virtual learning is the future, I disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Virtual Learning

    It has been nearly four months since we had our first-ever virtual learning in college. At first, it was hard to follow the lectures, but as time passed, we learned to adapt. For most of us, problems arose when our internet connection was down bad, leaving the lag with us. We didn’t get to see each other face-to-face, experience our independent life in Yogyakarta as a freshman, and many others that won’t be mentioned here. However, this isn’t as bad as how I wished I could graduate and dress up on prom night with the boys back in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When the Pandemic come, I thought that it will only take a week for the situation to recover. But reality proved me wrong. Even till now, the pandemic has yet come to an end, and there exist Virtual Learning. I knew from the start that it would be a disaster for me, for someone that gets distracted so easily. Every day has been almost the same. Breakfast, attend the Virtual Learning, Lunch, attend the Virtual learning again, Dinner and either do my task or play online video game till midnight. Everyday felt boring and I might die out of boredom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Virtual Learning

    I’ve been looking forward to my first year in university since I started high school. But guess what, all hell breaks loose. COVID-19 raged across the globe without mercy, spreading fear in people, making people sick, killing them. We students, were forced to study from home, virtually. The experience I once was eager to experience, was no more. Even though I still got to know new friends, it’s still “know”, not know. Studying was not the same, at the very least. The vibe I crave in class, ceased to exist. Just faces on the screen. I miss, going to school.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vitual Learning

    I never thought that I will hate virtual learning this much. I’m so thankful that I don’t have to do national exam because of the pandemic, but I don’t expect to do it for almost 8 months. I was so excited for college, especially in the first year knowing we will have a fun orientation program and I will meet a lot of new friends. But instead we have our orientation and first semester online. I want to socialize and know more about college life. I hope we can will have offline class on the next semester. I miss school.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Virtual Learning

    A typical student usually wakes up at dawn and do their daily morning routine before heading out to their respective institutions. Now, due to the pandemic, something different occurs. No longer would students rush to bathe themselves or wake up early in order to look tidy for school. Why would they when they could just wear a shirt while their cameras are on? They could also make feeble excuses to turn off their cameras and nap instead of paying attention to their class. Amidst the increased amounts of online problems, I believe that all these moments will be rather memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Virtual Learning

    Fresh cold air passed as it rushed from the window. The morning, the same as other morning, was chilly and moist, a perfect weather to play on the park. Neverthoughless, Kristen felt overwhelmingly sick and nauseous. She murmured curses under her breath as she shut the opened window locking the morning breeze behind it. She then sat on a chair, curl herself on a blanket, the girl opened her laptop to start her online class. With a coffee on her right hand and a pen on the other, she began her everyday routine, a never ending assignment waiting for her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Virtual Learning

    December 2020, the end of the first semester. Not sure how three months of listening to random dudes online on a bed count as a semester, yet here he is taking his final exam. “can’t wait until this semester is done” “I’m going to go out with my friends, live on my own, I might even fancy my chance with her” said the innocent fella filled with joy and optimism. Little did he know; next semester has different plan for him. Everything will be as what he expected. The only difference is that, she is just not into you mate.

    ReplyDelete